Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > matching tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

If you accelerate around a corner from low speed, then the Haldex will engage. In some circumstances, this can cause the inside rear tyre to slip, much like a powerful rear wheel drive car. The inside rear wheel is taking the shortest path, where the outside front is taking the longest path. If enough throttle us used, Haldex will lock up, so the inside rear will try to turn the same number of turns as the outside front, resulting in the rear wheel slipping on the ground, or the Haldex clutch pack slipping, depending on which needs the lowest torque to slip. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #433777 1st Jul 2023 4:29 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Does the Haldex clutch slipping create any noise? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #433780 1st Jul 2023 6:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Re: matching tyres

ozjeff62 wrote:
Hse Lux wrote:
Do you need all 4 tyres to be matching brand and type for the 4wd system? I believe on BMW for example you do? thanks

As for type - what does that refer to? Black? Compound? Tread pattern?

I wouldn’t mix types of tyres, by that I mean Mud & Snow with Summer or All Season. I wouldn’t mix speed or load ratings on the same axle. Personally I try to stick to axle pairs, fit new tyres to the back and move them to the front when the fronts need replacing and again new tyres to the back.

Post #433781 1st Jul 2023 6:31 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Nodge68 wrote:
If you accelerate around a corner from low speed, then the Haldex will engage. In some circumstances, this can cause the inside rear tyre to slip, much like a powerful rear wheel drive car. The inside rear wheel is taking the shortest path, where the outside front is taking the longest path. If enough throttle us used, Haldex will lock up, so the inside rear will try to turn the same number of turns as the outside front, resulting in the rear wheel slipping on the ground, or the Haldex clutch pack slipping, depending on which needs the lowest torque to slip.

Interesting. Inside rear wheel losing grip and spinning up is expected for a RWD with an open diff during tight cornering with enough throttle to induce weight transfer to the outer wheel. Hence the need for an LSD on more powerful cars.
Im trying to think why would the haldex lock up when turning ? unless the front wheels were spinning ?
I would have thought the software would take steering angle and accelerometer signal into consideration and ignore the rear wheel rotation speed difference. maybe it does to a certain extent and booting the throttle just goes outside the envelope. Im just guessing of course.

As it happens I did that manoeuvre just today to turn right out of drive through a gap in a long line of slow-ish traffic.
I didnt hear any tyre squeal but I wasnt listening out for any so maybe I missed it. Jules

Post #433788 1st Jul 2023 11:36 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have always thought that pulling away on dodgy surfaces was one of the FL2s strengths.

Look at my earlier comments on pulling out of side roads on this thread.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29361.html?highlight=side+roads FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #433796 2nd Jul 2023 9:04 am
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Thanks for that link - it discusses the exact problem I have experienced since I bought he vehicle.
Think it must be something involving the haldex. Will have the haldex serviced by Bell again when due and hopefully discuss it more. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #433797 2nd Jul 2023 9:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12