« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Unblocking the aircon drain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lrman

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue
Unblocking the aircon drain

I know there have been a few posts on this but didn't spot any with pictures, so I thought I would post my own.

Symptoms were mist coming out of the aircon vents and (as I discovered when doing this) wet carpets in both front footwells.
So the likelyhood was my aircon drain was blocked....

First I removed the drivers footwell side panel. One screw at the front then pull out, starting at the front, to release the clips.
Then peel back the carpet from where it is tucked under the centre console heatings bits and pieces. You are then presented with this.....

You can see the rubber drain pipe coming out (just above centre) from behind the cast ally bracket and running down and right to the cream drain housing in the side of the propshaft tunnel.
My first tip is NOT to just pull this off. If you do you are likely to have lots more water sloshing about behind the carpets! Get something (maybe an old drinks bottle?) you can drain it into. Jam that down behind the carpet then pinch the rubber tube, pull it off and stick it in the bottle. I got about a pint of water out of mine!
Now you could try to attach a pipe and blow through to clean the pipe out, or maybe gently poke it with something flexible.
I wanted to see what the drain consisted of so I did it the hard way and removed the cream plastic part. This is held into the bodywork with 4 barbed fingers. You might be able just prise it up but that might break the barbs. I went in from below so I could push the barbs back.
So.... Under the car at the lower left front corner of the footwell you will see a heatshield round the prop etc. The drain is behind the area circled in red.

To get to the drain you first need to unclip the plastic cover than protects the fuel pipes, then remove the two clips circled in blue (they both unscrew) so you can pull back the heat shield.
You can then get to the drain up behind the heatshield. Pushing back the 4 barbs allows you to push the whole thing into the footwell.

Mine was completely blocked with rubbish....

After cleaning you can see it is supposed to seal with 4 rubber fingers although they don't look like they will be that affective...

That is it. If you got this far you should have no problem putting it back together. So that only left getting the wet vac out to hoover another pint or so of mucky water out of both footwells! FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433447 19th Jun 2023 9:23 pm
lrman

btw. mine was blocked with what looked like rotten leaves. I am not sure how they got past the pollen filter. Assuming I have one fitted of course! Something else to check..... FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433449 19th Jun 2023 9:27 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

A most excellent write up and guide. Thumbs Up DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #433453 19th Jun 2023 9:58 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

A great write-up.

Just to add:

If it is wet under the front carpets. It's probably wet under the rear carpets. The floor slopes to the rear.

Pull out the vent under the seat & push your hand in to feel around. The vent will self locate pushing it back in place. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433455 19th Jun 2023 10:50 pm
lrman

thanks, I checked under the rear mats (dry) but didn't check under the seats. I will do this. FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433463 20th Jun 2023 9:22 am
MotionInc

Canada 2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Great DIY with the much helpful pics!

Post #433469 20th Jun 2023 10:19 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Pulling out the vent allows to feel to some extent in the rear footwell. The foam insulation thickness is from memory about 130mm thick (noticed this when running my compressor airline to the boot). Vastly more thickness than the front.

Alternatively you can lift up the rear seats massage your hand down between the carpet & bodywork, behind which is the fuel tank. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #433470 20th Jun 2023 10:47 am
lrman

I just had a grope around below the satnav box and it is indeed wet down there. Hopefully I will find time in the next few days to get under there properly and dry things out a bit. FL2 2007 2.2d Auto SE. Baltic Blue.

Post #433489 20th Jun 2023 8:18 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1