« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Police car clocking scandal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Police car clocking scandal

I didnt know the police dont MOT their cars.

Some are being sold before the MOT is due , then severely clocked and then taken for its first MOT.
We are talking removing 100K miles from the car.

&ab_channel=GeoffBuysCars

Start at 09:40 Jules

Post #432306 6th May 2023 11:28 am
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Holy molly Shocked
That defo needs sorting. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #432310 6th May 2023 11:57 am
davyboy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Police car clocking scandal

Hi Jules, I worked for the police in the transport department and yes no police vehicle whatever age if kept after 3 years were MOT’d, although every vehicle whatever it may have been had a six month check which was quite indeed thorough which was from the day of delivery to resale at the end of their service life or other. Motorcycles were at one month intervals, Mileages were recorded by us plus the officers who drove them per shift also recorded the mileages and any defects in the log book kept in the vehicle and was also overseen by the station inspector, we kept strict watch on the log books plus were locked away in the filing cabinet once full, when the vehicles were moved on, kept for 12 months then destroyed if not claimed as evidence by the new perspective buyer.
A strict rule of 3mm of tyre depth was kept, motorcycles were 2.5mm then replaced for whatever they were delivered new with. Good Year tyres were the norm but we always tried to refit whatever it came new with.

Any vehicle ie motorcycle to LGV were fully serviced, and mot’d before they were sent to auction, a well catalogued record was kept of each vehicle and although some were absolutely worn out literally still had the same in-depth inspection/service, we in transport always said who would buy a used police vehicle as they were totally driven to destruction especially the road crime vehicles mainly the beemers. 1 owner 3 million drivers per service life was our thinking.

Once sold by the auctioneers the said buyers were able to contact us to retrieve any information we had for each vehicle, with the comments you state regarding said clocking no vehicles we moved on were clocked.

My responsibilities were motorcycles, armed response and the dog section plus the mobile police stations all were usually well cared for by the officers, across the range throughout their service life of 3 years they were usually low mileage and kept longer if they had low miles and were reliable through their service life span.
I can honestly say none of our vehicles were clocked when sent to auction.
If some other forces clock vehicles for higher resale value! WHY? As the force plus transport department are responsible.

Post #432318 6th May 2023 6:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Not selling Land Rovers to the police looks like a good long term marketing move! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #432326 6th May 2023 10:00 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Especially as we pay for them ultimately Jules

Post #432327 6th May 2023 10:15 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Back in the 70's my wife was a social worker and had a car provided by the county that she worked for. Every year it was serviced at the county police workshops and every year it came back with four brand new tyres even though she was only doing about 8,000 miles a year. I often wondered what happened to those old part worn tyres. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #432334 7th May 2023 10:44 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1