Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Car with expensive taste?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
yorkshirerob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Ipanema Sand

Yes I agree Paul. I'm meticulous with servicing and tend to prefer to keep on top of maintenance rather than waiting until things go wrong. I will continue with premium diesel if that's the answer - just wondered if I'm masking something else going wrong. I never used to give the brand of diesel a second thought until a bad experience with Morrisons diesel with my previous Freelander 2 several years ago. Won't use supermarket now unless no choice. And then I think I'd be chucking some Redex in!

Post #429494 30th Jan 2023 10:08 pm
Gissit

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Lol, I worked in fuel terminals in the oil industry for years and the supermarket fuel comes from the same tanks as every other petrol station. There are not special fuel terminals to buy cheap rubbish diesel from. They only have one type of diesel in a fuel terminal and supermarket truck roll in with the BP and Texaco trucks.
The only difference is what additive is added during delivery to the road tanker. Your advance fuels just have a better and or more of the right type of additive. Some deliveries have additives that are not as good as the best ones but they do help.
I ran my last Freelander 2 up to 200k miles on mostly supermarket fuel but would use a tank of the good stuff every 6 weeks or so. It does make a difference to the mpg but not enough to pay for itself.

Post #429503 30th Jan 2023 10:37 pm
yorkshirerob

Same raw product but more additives in the premium stuff is how I have previously understood it. It's made a hell of a difference to my car idling I know that much!

Post #429510 31st Jan 2023 12:15 am
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Keeping the car in best condition, use genuine filters etc is what i choose to do...glad to hear others also do this.
This can is way better than any other car i have owned and i will keep it and keep it in best condition.
Those who lease dont give two monkeys about cars and probably will not keep it as i/we do.

Post #429533 31st Jan 2023 6:28 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

oops...should proof read
Meant to say car not can Rolling with laughter

Post #429534 31st Jan 2023 6:29 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

According to Google and rac watch supermarket sell 44% of our fuel, so must be a lot of cars running on it. A bit like pattern parts for cars there seems to be a big market for them.

Post #429537 31st Jan 2023 7:36 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Paul4751 wrote:
It's all very well saying I use the cheapest fuel available at this or that supermarket, and saying I've had no issues. The question is, what are the long term cost/benefit results? Personally I find the most expensive diesel gives the best performance AND the best MPG.

Whilst BP ultimate petrol offers higher BHP /MPG because it has a higher octane rating than normal unleaded their Ultimate diesel can offer no such benefit.
The only thing it can offer is some cleaning effect which may help if you intend to run your engine for a very long time. or if youve treated your diesel badly by nannying it and/or lots of short journeys.

AFAIK there is no independent evidence confirming the long term benefits of these Ultimate fuels, nor is the research ever published, which is surprising as you would think that if it did make a difference BP or Shell would publish the independent data to convince us to buy it.

To quote BP
"bp Ultimate Unleaded has a higher octane (97 RON minimum) than the minimum 95 RON required by law for petrol in the UK. For petrol vehicles that have been designed to take advantage of a higher octane fuel those drivers could achieve some immediate fuel economy benefits although this will also be influenced by their driving style.

bp Ultimate Unleaded also contains a friction modifier which improves the upper cylinder lubrication of the engine. This can contribute to improved engine efficiency and therefore improved fuel economy.

For diesel vehicles the fuel economy benefit is primarily derived from the removal of dirt from fuel injectors; bp Ultimate Diesel cleans away the majority of dirt in diesel engines in just two tankfuls.*

Actual fuel economy benefits achieved from using bp Ultimate may vary depending on vehicle type, condition, engine technology, driving style, road conditions and other factors such as length of journey, climate, tyre pressures and vehicle loading.

*Benefits vary based on what and how you drive.

** For Ultimate Diesel based on engines tested in dirty vs cleaned condition and for Ultimate Unleaded vs RON95. Benefits vary based on what and how you drive."

FWIW I chuck some 2stroke oil in with the cheapo diesel every now and then as its a superb upper cylinder cleaner. Jules

Post #429539 31st Jan 2023 8:56 pm
jules

Dont get me wrong, injector cleaners do work. I bought an Opel Manta GTE in 1986 with 110K miles. It regularly hiccupped upon accelerating from stationary. A can of Wynns Injector Cleaner at double strength cured the hiccupping once and for all. Jules

Last edited by jules on 31st Jan 2023 9:32 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #429540 31st Jan 2023 9:06 pm
jules

Paul4751 wrote:

An accountant will tell you (and has) when to trade in the car for a more economically and tax efficient vehicle:

But the biggest cost of car ownership is depreciation. Keeping an old car going is usually way cheaper than buying a newer one.
Spending say £4k on a new part is far less than the depreciation of a new car.
A bought a BMW 3 series in 2006 - the previous owner had lost £15K in the first year from new. I sold it 6 years later and lost £12k. Jules

Post #429541 31st Jan 2023 9:17 pm
yorkshirerob

Thanks for the information Jules. I must admit I've got a bottle of Wynns Injector cleaner on my shopping list, as I suspected a partial clog there may be to blame for the symptoms. But I'm intrigued by the 2SO having seen many others recommending this. May I ask what type/ brand you put in? I see approx 300ml per tank seems to be the volume to add?

Post #429542 31st Jan 2023 9:23 pm
jules

Gosh! that takes me back to 2007 with one of the longest threads on here; 93 pages and 1388 replies
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic22434.html?highlight=2so

To quote the then guru Yamaha-fan "2T-oils should comply with JASCO "FC" or ISO L-E "GC" or "GD", which should be written on the bottle. All 2T-oils as per these norms burn with an ash content of less than 0,05%."

FWIW Im currently using Castrol Power1 2T Scooter oil Jules

Last edited by jules on 31st Jan 2023 9:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #429543 31st Jan 2023 9:48 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

If you want to go down the 2SO route, have a read here first Very Happy - https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic22434.ht...stroke+oil

Post #429544 31st Jan 2023 9:49 pm
Simon J

Rats! Beaten to the punch!

Post #429545 31st Jan 2023 9:50 pm
jules

Laughing Laughing
Been there , done that , not going to read all those posts again Jules

Post #429546 31st Jan 2023 9:54 pm
Simon J