« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > MOT booking Scotland
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
O-B-Wan003

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
MOT booking Scotland

Dearly collective, especially residents in Scotland!
Currently in Northern Ireland there’s approximately a 4 months waiting time before being able to get a date for an MoT. Booked mine last week and the next available date was August 16th. My Freelander’s MoT expires at the end of June. The same thing with my sons Polo and unfortunately it broke down last week 2 months after the MoT expired and Green Flag refused to cover the policy as it had no cert. so a local recovery had the delight of charging £120 for the service 😡.

So when I rang the local help line @Gov.NI I asked if I found a centre and booked an MoT whilst in Scotland in May would it cover me for N.I. and of course yes it would! Why not?! I kinda knew the answer but wanted it official so to speak.

Question is now, where can I book and what does it cost? Locally we expect to fork out £30.
My quest is to find a reputable MoT testing centre around Pitlochry or Stirling late May where we are staying for a couple of weeks. If it doesn’t suit or work out I’ll be refreshing a web page every 🤬 hour for the next three months 😵‍💫

Thanks in advance.

Stephen

Post #420241 11th Apr 2022 3:39 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Most garages do MOT in Scotland with about a weeks notice, some less, cost £50, some cheaper with service my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #420250 11th Apr 2022 5:52 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Try a local authority (council) mot center. They have to make slots available for the general public. That's what I use, always an honest mot as they don't do repairs. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #420251 11th Apr 2022 5:57 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I'm also in Northern Ireland. I don't stress about the lack of mot appointments. If the DOI or Stormont aren't bothered enough to resolve the issue I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. Book an appointment for 4 months time and drive on regardless, you can't be penalised for not being able to get an mot. My sons was due this month (also a Polo!) First available date is July. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #420257 11th Apr 2022 7:08 pm
O-B-Wan003

Dartman the one wrote:
Most garages do MOT in Scotland with about a weeks notice, some less, cost £50, some cheaper with service

I got in contact with a garage in Pitlochry who were very helpful and able to give me an appointment when we’re on holiday just around the corner from our caravan site. Thought I’d check for cancellations and as luck would have it I managed to get one two days before it expired. Think in many ways I’m prepping our migration to Scotland 😂

Post #420260 11th Apr 2022 8:09 pm
O-B-Wan003

Bobupndown wrote:
I'm also in Northern Ireland. I don't stress about the lack of mot appointments. If the DOI or Stormont aren't bothered enough to resolve the issue I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. Book an appointment for 4 months time and drive on regardless, you can't be penalised for not being able to get an mot. My sons was due this month (also a Polo!) First available date is July.

We’re in a very unenviable position which can be so frustrating. It really bothers me having to think so far ahead when I can’t even think about what I’m having for our tea tomorrow night 😳. Don’t think we could blame this one on Brexit 😂

Post #420261 11th Apr 2022 8:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1