Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Engine remanufacture recommendations sought
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Joncorry

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey
Engine remanufacture recommendations sought

Hello, first post…

I bought a 2010 TD4.e in GS spec from Copart… it unfortunately arrived with the starter hanging off and a large hole in the block behind it! Needless to say I’ve not tried to start it.

I’m looking for recommendations that you’ve personally used (preferably in the North West) to rebuild/remanufacture the engine for me as most places will not just sell a short engine.

Thanks in advance

Post #415795 10th Dec 2021 6:40 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

I think it’s to late for that engine I would be looking for maybe a second hand engine. Welcome to the forum.

Post #415803 10th Dec 2021 9:19 pm
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi sorry to see such damage, looking at the photo it would appear that number four con rod has either :-

A) Come adrift/loose from the big end cap
b) The con rod has snapped
C) The timing belt has failed causing that valves to hit he piston and bend then break the con rod.

I have seen all these different scenarios, Whatever, has caused it the damage to the engine block is in my opinion terminal and a repair is not a practical or viable. It is difficult to see from the photo but have you checked the gear box case for damage where the starter motor bolts on if the con rod has hit the starter motor it may have caused damage in this area to.

This particular power unit was used in the second generation TD4 engines was designed by the PSA Peugeot Citroёn group together with the Ford Motor Company and they were in production since 2005. The volume of 4-cylinder inline engine was 2.2 litres, their power was 150 hp so there should be pleanty of replacement out there.

Last edited by AJ918 on 11th Dec 2021 12:17 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #415816 11th Dec 2021 11:28 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Get a second hand replacement engine. No engine reconditioning company will want yours, as it's just scrap value.
You might however be better off scrapping the vehicle for parts, as a good replacement engine will cost you 50% of the market value of the vehicle. Unfortunately being a GS model makes it less desirable, and so worth less to a potential buyer.

I don't know how much you paid, but I for an example, I paid £2K for my immaculate 119K miles 58 plate SE, with a damaged piston and cylinder head. I put another £1K into it in parts, but that included a home rebuilt stronger replacement rear diff, a replacement piston, a low mileage (9K) 2014 cylinder head, and new brakes all round, oh and 1 odd tyre was replaced, giving a matching set.
I've now got a nice condition SE, where everything works, which should see me through the next few years motoring.
But just as importantly, if I wanted to sell it, it's currently worth about £4.5K in my local marketplace, so I'm pretty happy with my purchase. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #415817 11th Dec 2021 11:32 am
andyk159

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Someone selling a bare engine for £600 on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2087973991...3490915597 Andy
Freelander2 HSE (59 Plate, MY10 spec)

Post #415885 12th Dec 2021 7:52 pm
Joncorry

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Orkney Grey

Many thanks for the replies. I agree that a full engine is required, some re conditioners have said they’d take the old on but retain between £100 and £300 of the surcharge due to the damaged block. A place in Shropshire has full second hand engines so I might get one of these and then refresh everything I can whilst its out the car such as the belts, water pump etc..

It was a very cheap car but its destined to be a cheaper run around than my G4 vehicles so its still worth investing in.

Post #415898 13th Dec 2021 9:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1