Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Witter detachable towbar compatible with European FL2 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cyberhusky

Luxembourg 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue
Witter detachable towbar compatible with European FL2 ?

Hello

I would like to have a detachable tow-bar on my Freelander 2 SE 4Td.

The original Land Rover tow-bar is too expensive (over 750 Euro without VAT) and here in Luxembourg we've only got on LR dealer left, after BMW did get rid of LR!!!

I checked several forii and these possibilities:

original LR = Thule = Brink Tow-bar but needs cutting of rear bumper

or Deckers in Liège (Belgium) they told me 399 Euro with electrics and fitting But don't know yet if the bumper needs to be cut

Only the Witter system seems to be perfect no need to destroy or remove the bumper, but if I do buy that in UK can I use it on European Freelander 2?

Or has anybody of our Belgian friends experience with Deckers in Belgium?

Thx for an input!

Manou Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #41424 1st May 2009 11:02 am
Lukey Luke

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

My Bother-in-Law has used Deckers for a tow bar on his Land Cruiser. Has had no problems with it and said they fitted it with out any problems.

I have a LR removable tow bar and did not think they cut any thing out. Do you have the extra sport body kit fitted?
I bought mine in the UK for £375 and it was about extra for the £100 fitting.

Not sure, but I could put you in contact with my dealer and they might be able to post it out to you. Also you could try the site Sponsor (why not the Sponsor first)! Am sure it would be a lot cheaper than $750. Then just ask your dealer to fit it at the hourly rate charge? HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #41431 1st May 2009 2:19 pm
cyberhusky

Lukey Luke wrote:
My Bother-in-Law has used Deckers for a tow bar on his Land Cruiser. Has had no problems with it and said they fitted it with out any problems.

I have a LR removable tow bar and did not think they cut any thing out. Do you have the extra sport body kit fitted?
I bought mine in the UK for £375 and it was about extra for the £100 fitting.

Not sure, but I could put you in contact with my dealer and they might be able to post it out to you. Also you could try the site Sponsor (why not the Sponsor first)! Am sure it would be a lot cheaper than $750. Then just ask your dealer to fit it at the hourly rate charge?

I will call Deckers and ask for more details, as they couldn't tell me more details when I asked for my Land Rover Freelander 2 (2008). Only this: "Oh we do a lot of brand cars also Land Rover 2008, it's the same as Rover!"

I suppose that was some office guy or girl who hasn't any clue! It's more than 20 years since Rover and Land Rover belonged to the same company, isn't it?

If I get more infos from Deckers I will decide which options I will go for.

This dealer is interesting too: (Witter, Quantum Horizontal detachable towbar)

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/freelander-2-2006-detachable-towbar.html

With 13 pin electric kit c for Freelander 2 £345.37.

Another options would be Westfalia but here the bumper needs some cutting. (I don't have any special sport spoilers etc.) Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Last edited by cyberhusky on 2nd May 2009 1:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #41436 1st May 2009 3:29 pm
Lukey Luke

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Maybe when the person refereed to Rover they meant Range Rover (well, you would hope so).

That one looks good to me. On your fl2 do you have park sensors, I only ask as on mine (i have park sensors) I think that when they wired up the electrics, they worked it so the park sensors does not come on when the trailer is attached. The park sensor noise also comes through the entertainment system. And I get a little light on the disbarred letting me know that a trailer is on the car.

Just took a closer look at my rear bumper and they did in fact, cut a small section out of the bumper. Very sorry for saying they did not.

Given the above it might be cheaper for you to book the car into a garage in the UK, drive over, have a nice weekends Holiday, get the tow bar fitted all the the same price of having done in Lux/Belgium. Plus side is you get to make the most of the cheap pound and have a weekend away. HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #41475 2nd May 2009 11:41 am
cyberhusky

Lukey Luke wrote:
Maybe when the person refereed to Rover they meant Range Rover (well, you would hope so).

That one looks good to me. On your fl2 do you have park sensors, I only ask as on mine (i have park sensors) I think that when they wired up the electrics, they worked it so the park sensors does not come on when the trailer is attached. The park sensor noise also comes through the entertainment system. And I get a little light on the disbarred letting me know that a trailer is on the car.

Given the above it might be cheaper for you to book the car into a garage in the UK, drive over, have a nice weekends Holiday, get the tow bar fitted all the the same price of having done in Lux/Belgium. Plus side is you get to make the most of the cheap pound and have a weekend away.

I do hope that they meant Range Rover.

Yes my FL2 has park sensors. The idea with a UK weekend sounds tantalizing Thumbs Up
But with wife and 3 kids or wife alone is expensive again Mr. Green Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #41477 2nd May 2009 1:39 pm
PF Jones

United Kingdom 

HI all

thanks to cyberhusky for posting our link

any item shipped outside of the UK please deduct 15% off the price

So the price stated of £345.00 is £293.25 plus delivery

Prices for delivery to Luxembourg start from as low as £11,00

Please feel free to call our sales line and chat to one of our time served towbar experts

Kind regards

Duncan

PF Jones Web team

Post #41572 5th May 2009 1:10 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

has any body seen or fitted a de-tacheble tow bar 2inch squre slote type ( the type the use in the us)
I'm aftre this type so I can plug in differtent type's tow bars.

Post #42010 14th May 2009 11:00 pm
christian138

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

jp wrote:
has any body seen or fitted a de-tacheble tow bar 2inch squre slote type ( the type the use in the us)
I'm aftre this type so I can plug in differtent type's tow bars.

Like this? 

Post #42955 10th Jun 2009 11:53 am
cyberhusky

At least I have installed the detachable Witter towbar on my FL2. Had to wait until a friend had his auto hoist installed.

It's easy to install. Fits 100%.

Thx again PF Jones!! For the prompt delivery and help! Thumbs Up

BTW the way I did install the rear headrest entertainment system too. Never did something like that. Took many hours (5 or so) but finally worked without a problem. Thanks to this forum. Bow down

But enough flattery. Whistle

Thx again.

Regards

Manou Freelander 2 SE 4Td Izmir Blue, Dog cage for Alaskan Malamute, iphone Navigon Navigator

Post #66048 10th Apr 2010 11:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1