Home > Technical > Power Steering Pump
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tattchua

Malaysia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue
Power Steering Pump

Hi Everyone.

earlier this week, i found that my engine sounded weird, like some wheezing sound when rpm passes 2000 (TD4) hence brought it back to dealers, they said that something was wrong with the Power Steering Pump. javascript:emoticon('Big Cry')

but i only did 11,500 kms. done anyone know what could result in the failure/ partial failure?

i am still using the car, steering is 20% heavier, and the wheezing sound is more stark when making sharp turns/ U-turns.

should i wait for pump replacement then use the car? if i use it now would i cause further/ other damage to the vehicle?

thanks a bunch!
javascript:emoticon('Bow down')

Post #41316 29th Apr 2009 9:40 am
alex_pescaru

You can use it as it is, if you can live with the noise and harder steering.
You can only further damage the pump. There is no other things that you can damage.
Of course, there is one exceptional case when the pump will lock/stuck itself and then you can damage/break the accesories belt through friction. Then, all things driven by the belt will stop functioning: generator and air conditioning compressor (remember: stop, not damage, so no worry). But this (broken belt) will be felt on steering and you will see the battery warning lamp coming on.

Post #41341 29th Apr 2009 4:49 pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Narvik Black

Be careful gents.

I had a whine from my power steering. Local Stealer "technician" advised that the power steering reservoir needed changing. I specifically asked if it was safe to drive and was asured it was safe.

WRONG!!

Less than a week along and the steering also went really heavy so I called LRA on advice from workmates. LRA Man was shocked to hear the advice I had been given and raised official complaint to after sales manager.

It is dangerous to continue driving.

After sales manager called personally to apologise. 07 RRS Java Black

Ex - '56 FL2 SE TD4 manual, Narvik Black, Tinted Glass, Cool Blue LEDS Internal and puddle/wing mirror lights. Smoked side repeats. Genuine Imatation Walnut facia

Post #41342 29th Apr 2009 4:55 pm
alex_pescaru

Then it's interesting to know what was the problem on your car...
Several things could give the whine: power steering FLUID level low or fluid contaminated or fluid aerated, power steering PUMP internals worn or damaged, power steering GEAR internals worn or damaged, etc.
Of course the dealer/technician/LRA (and so on) will prefer to be on the safe side and tell that you should stop driving.
But from a hydraulic system point of view it is safe to drive as long as it's oil present in the system to keep the things lubricated.
Maybe in your case, when the "technician" - as you've said it - told you that the reservoir needs changing, the fluid was low or aerated and it was a danger for the system to run dry.

What I've said in the previous post is based on my experience with hydraulics and on assumption that the PUMP is defective.

Of course, the decision should fall on the owner shoulders. Very Happy
And of course, any problem should be solved as soon as possible.
So be on the safe side and limit your trips until the things are solved. Cool
Remember: steering and brake systems should be in perfect order!

Post #41351 29th Apr 2009 8:16 pm
Roverdude

2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue

In my 2008 LR2 SE I was suffering from heavy steering at parking lot speeds. The dealership replaced the power steering pump under warranty which fixed it.

Post #41352 29th Apr 2009 10:50 pm
tattchua

Malaysia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Thanks for your kind advise. i will gently use my car since i am in Malaysia and have to wait for replacement parts to arrive from GB!

no oil leak, he said it could be internally broken/ worn out, hence the noise.

Post #41354 30th Apr 2009 2:43 am
PepperPot

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

Mine also had a whine - see http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic3570.html for what this turned out to be. 2007 Baltic Blue SE TD4 Auto

Post #41728 7th May 2009 10:33 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

What oil should i use to fill powersteering? Its on low now, how to drain system and fill whit new?

Post #197948 5th Sep 2013 4:02 pm
Paul.W

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Have a look here

I used the genuine green Landrover PAS fluid and it has been fine since I did it. Just make sure that you give the system a good flush through with new clean fluid. You will also need a siphon pump and make sure that you cover everything up well underneath the power steering filter as it is inevitable that you will get some spillage when removing the pipes from the filter.

Post #198049 5th Sep 2013 11:51 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

Thanks for video, its very good one!
i think i have to go lr dealer finland to buy the reservoil filter but not intrested to buy theyr " genuine " oil, i think they will ask alot of it, so what would be other options?

kindly jonny.

Post #198241 7th Sep 2013 11:57 am
j00ppis

Finland 

Could someone please tell other options on powersteering oil? In finland PAS oil from dealer was very expensive, much cheaper to buy orginal pas oil from UK and it still 30-40% cheaper than here. But do i have to use orginal PAS Fluid!? other options?

Liqui Moly used for new cars, ( Ford, Volvo ) meets: BMW 81 22 9 407 758; Ford WSS-M2C204-A; MB 345.0; Opel 1940 766; VW TL 52146 (G002 000 / G004000); ZF TE-ML 02K

Ford WSS-M2C204-A is this what i should look for?

i found from repair manual that Recommended fluid
Pentozin CHF202, but that is green?! Not red like it should be?

Post #218997 9th Mar 2014 9:42 am
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

The original PAS fluid from JLR is green. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #219010 9th Mar 2014 11:37 am
j00ppis

Finland 

In the video it is red? So if i use different color of PAS oil, is it okay just to do system flush that prevents mixin to different kind of type? im a fraid abit if i use wrong oil because of many opinions... many people told that they had green and filled whit red and then suddently oil leaks and system information panels informated some kind of error codes on BMW, and other kind of horror stories!

Post #219011 9th Mar 2014 11:42 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

When the power steering went on my MY07 I claimed on the extended warranty. LR repair shop (not Dealer but franchised repairer) was worried that the fluid was red not green, but I pointed out that I had bought it from a LR dealer with full service history and he was able to do the job under warranty - I think he checked with LR first. So it appears that the correct fluid should be green.

Post #219133 10th Mar 2014 6:46 pm
j00ppis

Finland 

yea, thanks for advice. i have checked history, but there is no mention and no recipes about steering oil. Drived only 160tkm, i bought it on 70thousand, so i see no reason to change fluid on under 70, but still yea its red but im going to make system flush and change it to green orginal! but no idea how much i should order the pas oil, but i think 3 litrs is ok Smile?

Post #219140 10th Mar 2014 7:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>