Home > Tips & Tricks > Automatic gearbox interlocks
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Automatic gearbox interlocks

Hi everybody out there.
I purchased in June this year a black SE auto which I am very pleased with, for mainly Officiating on forest car rally s and towing our caravan (Sorry Chicken George but my daughters have visited many places in the UK which would not have been possible if we had had to pay for hotels.)

Anyway to the point.Is there a way of disabling the interlocks on the auto box. i.e. if you select neutral at a set of traffic lights to ease the torque converter whilst waiting after 5/6 seconds it locks up and you have to put your foot on the brake pedal to release it.
Similarly I park with the back of the vehicle close to a wall so cannot open the tailgate and to move the car the engine has to be started when I could push it the yard or so needed if neutral could be selected with the motor switched off as I could with the previous car.

I find it very frustrating and suspect it is pandering to the American market.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Bill Turner Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #28997 13th Oct 2008 11:35 am
Chris B

United Kingdom 

Have you tried putting the key in and firing up the dash (press starter without pressing teh bracke/clutch). That should enable all the elctrics and enable you to select neutral without starting the engine (I think). This may get you over the need to roll the car a little to open the tailgate; I cannot help you with the traffic situatoin (I drive a manual) Gone... 2013 XS TD4 Manual Firenze Red
Gone... 2008 (09MY) XS Td4 Manual Stornaway Grey
Prior... 2003 G4 Discovery 2, 1998 Disco 1 and 1997 Disco 1 Company car before that
Also gone in Nov'13, after 7.5 yrs, to new owners with time for more TLC - 1980 Series III 88
Current 2015 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0

Post #34247 8th Jan 2009 5:12 pm
DRD71

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

Chris, I've just been able to confirm that your suggestion works, with the only addition being that the brake pedal has to be depressed to change the gear selector. Cheers.

Post #34390 11th Jan 2009 10:11 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Automatic gearbox interlocks

Bill Turner wrote:
(Sorry Chicken George but my daughters have visited many places in the UK which would not have been possible if we had had to pay for hotels.)

So was the van free then? As the price of a van would cover many many nights in hotels ,indeed lots and lots of nights in a hotel room the size of a van. Just wondering Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34393 11th Jan 2009 11:23 am
Bill Turner

Re: Automatic gearbox interlocks

chicken george wrote:
Bill Turner wrote:
(Sorry Chicken George but my daughters have visited many places in the UK which would not have been possible if we had had to pay for hotels.)

So was the van free then? As the price of a van would cover many many nights in hotels ,indeed lots and lots of nights in a hotel room the size of a van. Just wondering :whistle:

No not free but over a period of 10 years whist the girls were still at school we had at least six outings per year which according to a rough calculation I did some years ago when somebody else came up wth CG's theory worked out at about £30/person per week.
I bet your hotel in the Lake District was more than that per night although it looked well worth the money. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.

Post #34490 12th Jan 2009 2:18 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

The hotel in the lakes was a lot more than that Crying or Very sad Over my usual budget to be honest, we didn't get a summer holiday this year so we treated ourselves. Although in reality I'm not so keen on the posher hotels I personally prefer simpler hotels, I just find them more relaxing and a nice steak and ale pie often beats the fine gormet foods in terms of CG satisfaction.
The hotel was recommended to us by a vaning couple we know, the wife hates vaning so the husband has to take her to that hotel every year to make up for their van trips Rolling with laughter

I urge you to recalculate your vanning costs though there must be loads of expenses you havn't considered Whistle financing the van for example? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34538 12th Jan 2009 11:25 pm
Bill Turner

Quote:
I urge you to recalculate your vanning costs though there must be loads of expenses you havn't considered whistle: financing the van for example?

Do not do finance. Proper old fashioned way save up for it, pay cash and get a discount. all caravans and cars including FL2 purchased this way, but not a lot of point in saving at 1.5% at the moment.
Will have to start a credit card company so that when Bank of Englend rate goes down I can put mine up.

As the old saying goes At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.

Post #36974 11th Feb 2009 7:46 pm
Bill Turner

Not had time to post this before but the Ford S Max? or whatever auto Land Rover Insurance hired me when the FL2 was in for rectifying my misfueling mistake did not have to your foot on the brake to go from neutral to drive when stopped at lights etc. and as The FL2 uses all Ford components why the anomaly?

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.

Post #40157 7th Apr 2009 8:24 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Have found this info very useful as often to get the caravan equipped with Alko 3004 stabiliser off the towball, its useful to give the vehicle a gentle push to equalise the caravan overrun assembly so the hitch releases cleanly. Ity was dead easy with my old F1 manuals and should be again now I have your input. Thanks guys

Post #42262 22nd May 2009 10:53 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1