« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ceramic Rear Pads
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue
Ceramic Rear Pads

Does anyone have any definitive experience of the FL2 using ceramic rear pads (not OE of course).

I had to fit these as it was failing an import inspection in NZ (they demand double the usual pad thickness for import test, so I was caught out - nowhere near an MOT/WOF fail). And the import inspection garage could not get OE.

I've immediately used the van for towing and I cannot really recall what it was like before - the brakes were never great, but I don't know if the ceramic are even worse; I feel they might be. They don't dust like the disgusting LR OE pads, but in the end, I'll take dirt for improved braking.

I suspect the ceramic pads will outlast the discs by some margin - I can imagine them never wearing out.

Post #404877 6th Mar 2021 4:58 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

The rotors will work with ceramic pads, but will wear faster and the pads will often be noisy. I don't find ceramic pads 'bite' as well as decent composite pads, so would avoid them myself, preferring to use OE pads and rotors.

If the brakes are poor, are you 100% everything working correctly, i.e. no sticky calipers? The brakes shouldn't be poor at all, actually mine are actually pretty good, but I replaced everything, rotors, pads, calipers, and parking brake shoes. The brake parts aren't expensive from AF in the UK, although the shipping to NZ will be expensive.
I know 2 another NZ Freelander owners who ship spares from the UK, simply because it's cheaper to buy OE stuff from the UK, even after the shipping is applied. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #404879 6th Mar 2021 8:18 am
DirtyDuck

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Loire Blue

The brakes are even, so I don't suspect sticky calipers.

I got new discs from LR NZ for less money that LR UK !!!!

Not fitted them yet.

Post #404911 6th Mar 2021 10:12 pm
merlinj79

United States 2008 LR2 i6 S Auto Tambora Flame

I use ceramic on all my other cars, mainly for reduced dust.

I avoided them on the LR2, sticking with textar semi-metallic, because ceramics might have slightly less braking capacity on a long downhill run, and I tow a 3500lbs camper in mountain ranges in the western US. But last time I took the plunge and installed akebono ceramics all around. If it wasn't for the heavy tow and the big mountains I'd have no concerns running ceramics. I actually prefer less dust.

If you don't replace the rotors with the pads as a matter-of-course, you'll need to keep an eye on the rotor thickness... truck rotors might not last through two full sets of pads, mine have been down to the wire. Ceramics will wear the pads a bit more.

Post #404965 7th Mar 2021 7:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1