Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Roof Rails Again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
pjbnet

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Roof Rails Again!

Hi -sorry to bring this subject up again but I am looking for some advice. I have had the LR roof rails fitted and I am getting wind noise over 50mph.

I have read the other posts about these and just wanted to check that they have fitted the cross bar correctly.

My car has no sun roof and the cross bar at the back of the roof rail kit has a solid bar underneath with three deflectors (?) to the front of it (underneath).

Does this sound correct?

For anyone interested I was originally quoted £183+vat for the roof rails and 2 hours @ £95 / hour to fit from the stealer I bought the car from. I rang round and finally had them fitted at Guy Salmon Landrover in Coventry all in for £325 (well actually £292 because of a small mark on the cross bar) and I thought they did a great job (if all correct above) and obviously over £100 cheaper than the other place.

Thanks for your help

Post #23183 29th Jun 2008 7:51 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

if my memory is right Confused

The deflectors are for the sunroof version Question

An idea Idea if you mask of the deflectors, will it make the noise go Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23184 29th Jun 2008 8:03 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

You have the correct cross bar and it is fitted the right way round, ie with the deflectors underneath and to the front.It is possible that the plastic shrouds around the six fixing points on the roof are not fitted tight enough to the metal and you are getting wind noise from one or more of them. I fitted mine with lots of extra double sidded numberplate/trim fixing tape and have no wind noise. Smile

Post #23186 29th Jun 2008 8:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

This is the non sunroof version

with intermittent Humps

and sunroof version

Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23187 29th Jun 2008 8:28 pm
muddywheels

England 
Re: Roof Rails Again!

pjbnet wrote:
Hi -sorry to bring this subject up again but I am looking for some advice. I have had the LR roof rails fitted and I am getting wind noise over 50mph.

I have read the other posts about these and just wanted to check that they have fitted the cross bar correctly.

My car has no sun roof and the cross bar at the back of the roof rail kit has a solid bar underneath with three deflectors (?) to the front of it (underneath).

Does this sound correct?

For anyone interested I was originally quoted £183+vat for the roof rails and 2 hours @ £95 / hour to fit from the stealer I bought the car from. I rang round and finally had them fitted at Guy Salmon Landrover in Coventry all in for £325 (well actually £292 because of a small mark on the cross bar) and I thought they did a great job (if all correct above) and obviously over £100 cheaper than the other place.

Thanks for your help

Mine have the deflectors and I do not have a sunroof Thumbs Up

I have not noticed any wind noise and I fitted them myself. I would go back to dealer who fitted them and get him to resolve.

Post #23189 29th Jun 2008 10:08 pm
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

New member to the forum - am I the only Tonga Green owner on here?!

I had the roof rails (and cross bar) fitted on my HSE at delivery time by the dealer, and I do definitely get some wind noise above 50mph. All the fittings appear to be tight. I bought the rails as part of the deal, but now find myself thinking the car looks better without them, and I also don't need to use them this year as I thought I might do.

Is it a reasonably easy job to remove the rails? I can't easily tell from the online instructions, which are diagrammatic only, and the dealer when I rang said that the interior roof lining has to be removed as the rails are bolted through. I can't see that is correct.

Lastly, any views on how the roof rails and cross bar affect fuel consumption?

Post #23190 29th Jun 2008 10:18 pm
Roverdude

2008 LR2 i6 SE Auto Baltic Blue

The roof rails are not bolted thru. You should be able to pop off the plastic covers on each corner and unbolt the rails from the fittings in the roof. You will have 4 one inch holes in the plastic trim in the gutter however.

I don't think they make a huge impact on MPG, but you should notice a little less wind noise.

Post #23191 29th Jun 2008 10:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

welcome Adrian

And welcome to the first TONGA GREEN FL2 too

Rails ain't bolted through from below Shocked But i suppose if it was the first FL2 rails fitted by your dealer you never know. But the front roof trim will have a hole or two

If you decide to remove the rails PM me I might be interested Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23193 29th Jun 2008 10:39 pm
muddywheels

England 

adrian_fl2 wrote:
New member to the forum - am I the only Tonga Green owner on here?!

I had the roof rails (and cross bar) fitted on my HSE at delivery time by the dealer, and I do definitely get some wind noise above 50mph. All the fittings appear to be tight. I bought the rails as part of the deal, but now find myself thinking the car looks better without them, and I also don't need to use them this year as I thought I might do.

Is it a reasonably easy job to remove the rails? I can't easily tell from the online instructions, which are diagrammatic only, and the dealer when I rang said that the interior roof lining has to be removed as the rails are bolted through. I can't see that is correct.

Lastly, any views on how the roof rails and cross bar affect fuel consumption?

As others said no problem with roof lining.

I already thought about this - You would need to replace plastic trim to gutters on roof and replace caps to front bolts - I kept mine in case I transfer roof rails to next one Thumbs Up

Post #23196 29th Jun 2008 11:18 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

npinks wrote:
welcome Adrian

And welcome to the first TONGA GREEN FL2 too

Rails ain't bolted through from below Shocked But i suppose if it was the first FL2 rails fitted by your dealer you never know. But the front roof trim will have a hole or two

If you decide to remove the rails PM me I might be interested Whistle

Welcome Adrian, but contra to what our site moderator mentioned there is at least one other Tonga Green on the forum (Goldstone69) although he seems to be sleeping at the moment Whistle

[Tonga Green is in my mind the best colour for the FL2 Thumbs Up , although I couldn’t wait for one to be ordered and chose a ready available Stornoway (the wife’s choice). Yesterday I passed a dealer at Gol (Norway) that had a new 2008 Tonga Green HST with Premium Pack, 19” Chrome Shadow alloys, spoiler, moonroof, tungsten door handles, and really smart Alpaca (new style) leather interior (extra stitching) Thumbs Up Thumbs Up . It’s the first one I’ve seen in the flesh with this colour and really smart it was too, but unfortunately I forgot to take a photo for the forum Crying or Very sad .

As for the FL2 roof rails, this has been discussed in depth earlier, and in my opinion you are well best without them, mainly as you have found out because of the wind noise, and practically with a moonroof. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #23213 30th Jun 2008 8:41 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Adrian is the only Tongra Green owner on here!

GS69 doesn't have a FL2 anymore and obviously now spends his time at Citreon2CV.com or his misses told him off for been on here too much Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23215 30th Jun 2008 9:20 am
AndyC

npinks wrote:
Adrian is the only Tongra Green owner on here!

GS69 doesn't have a FL2 anymore and obviously now spends his time at Citreon2CV.com or his misses told him off for been on here too much Whistle

apologies Bow down our moderator knows best Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #23217 30th Jun 2008 9:28 am
adrian_fl2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tonga Green

Thanks all for the replies! npinks - will PM you as you suggest when I've decided what to do. I think I will remove them, but will need to get the replacement filler strips that the dealer will probably have thrown away.

As for Tonga Green, never in a million years would I have considered this colour until I saw one. I was at the dealer trying to decide on the colour (grey/black/rimini etc) and they had a Tonga Green car in for someone to look at. It's a great colour (esp with Alpaca) and better in the flesh than the brochure. A week later that exact car was mine Very Happy

Post #23225 30th Jun 2008 10:57 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

if i didn't buy a ex demo, tonga would have been on my list too Very Happy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #23228 30th Jun 2008 11:20 am
AndyC

Shocked I have been asking for ages WHY Tonga Green is not more popular - now the dudes stand up to be counted Thumbs Up

I agree with Adrian - Tonga in the flesh is absolutly the best colour for a FL2 Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #23230 30th Jun 2008 11:40 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>