« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Intermitent Electrical faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
carlfraz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Intermitent Electrical faults

Hi Everyone, very interesting reading your comments, so thought I'd add mine to help out, or not??

Picked up my Freelander 2 at the end of Jan, HSE with rear screens in head rests plus afew other options. The car has been back five times to the dealer, unfixable problems with non starting - comes up on digital display as "transmission fault reduced traction", the adaptive head light warning light comes on, the mobile phone hands free locks up, the sat nav screen locks up, there is transmission noise interference through the infrared headpones, to name a few....is there any other suffers out there?? Otherthan that car is bloody fantastic!!. I'm not put off though I have got the dealer to take the car back under the buy back policy and it is being replaced with a new one. Apparantly the early cars did not have a complete download installed at the factory and some early cars have the problems I have experienced, or at least some of the problems. Dont let the dealers waffle you down to accept it - these problems can be sorted. It has not put me off having another bite at one - could have been worse could have bought an X3 or a Nissan...Haha

Just wonderd if any guys or girls had a similar experience to me or was I the only dud motor Big Cry

Post #2366 10th Apr 2007 11:03 pm
ledzep

Belgium 

Hello Carlfraz,

unfixable problems with non starting - comes up on digital display as "transmission fault reduced traction"

I have had this mention about fifty times now (8.300 km). I have not experienced the other faults but I only have the Sat Nav Option. After retrieving the key and waiting a while (sometimes several times in a row), the car has always started until now.

On the other hand I have these creaks in the back as I explained in previous posts (sometimes it seems like the car is falling apart) and the dealer was until now not able to locate the cause.

What is this car buy back policy you refer to ? Is this worldwide ?

Post #2377 11th Apr 2007 7:57 am
carlfraz

Hi ledzep,

Sorry to hear you too have had the none starting problem, wow fifty times!!! You are more patient than me. If you take the key fob out and replace it as you say it starts second time, but I didnt pay all that money for something not to work first time.

Since I have had so many problems with the car and the dealer has never been able to fix any of them, in the UK at least, if you are not satisfied with the work that has been done you are protected by law as the product is 'not fit for purpose' and you are entitled to your money back or an exchange. This comes as part of our 'Sales of goods act 1979 - revised' which protects the purchaser from faulty goods. The 'act' does expect 'reasonable' attempts to be given to the dealer to fix the faults as it would be unfair to expect them to change a car for a blown bulb so you need to have suffered with problems and had attempts to repair. I would expect that similar laws apply in Europe. If the problem annoys you that much and your dealer has tried to fix it and failed, I would suggest you contact them quickly and say you are not satisfied and if they cannot fix it the whole car should be replaced, my dealer said Landrover will operate a 'Buy back policy' if you are not happy.

I have kept a log of the faults and dates the problems happen as it helps your case, and put things in writing to the dealer so there is record of discussions. Again this helps your case.

My HSE has covered 5150 miles (8288kms) since 22 Jan, so not far behind you.

About the 'twang' noise from the back of the car, mine does that too, so has the five different loan cars I was given whilst mine was in for repair......haven't heard it recently so I have either got used to it or the music is on too load or it has stopped - either way I could live with it.

I would get yours fixed or a new car if I were you because you dont want that little motor that pulls in and pushes out the key fob breaking due to over use!!!

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Post #2387 11th Apr 2007 7:12 pm
ledzep

Belgium 

Hy Carlfraz,

Thanks for the good advice. I already took one of the mechanics for a ride today. He clearly noticed the creaks this time and they are going to examine the car next wednesday. The key problem apparently has to wait until a software update coming from Land Rover. Please hurry guys Evil or Very Mad

I 'll keep you informed.

Post #2392 11th Apr 2007 10:44 pm
snowbren

United States 2007 LR2 TD4 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Ah ha, so you are hearing some creaks too?? I can hear them above music. Radio only locked up once. I wish there were distance beepers in front.

What is the HSE? Mine says LR2 in back left and SE in back right. Do you get more features? About the video in headrests, they don't have that here as an option yet. They said aftermarket ones can be installed tho.

Post #2393 12th Apr 2007 2:14 am
ledzep

Belgium 

Snowbren,

http://www.landrover.co.uk/assets/gb/en/Ve..._06_UK.pdf

You can find the specifications of the SE and HSE model at the above mentioned adress.

Mine is an SE and I'm very satifisfied with it (except for the Censored creaks of course.

Hope they can fix this next wednesday

Post #2398 12th Apr 2007 10:39 am
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Have they checked the battery, small drops in voltage seem to affect the D3 in this way, ie the dash lights up with all the warnings and the same messages are displayed - just a thought. D4 HSE Lux for me
FL2 HSE Zermatt & Alpacca for the wife now gone
Skoda Yeti L&K for the wife.

Post #2401 12th Apr 2007 1:51 pm
carlfraz

Hi pelyma,

If the intermitent electrical problems are due to voltage drops why dont a) Landrover address it & b) advise the dealers??

My dealer may have tested this already, I dont know, all the dealer kept saying was it needs a download patch, then Landrover got involved and the problems still couldnt be fixed so the end result is they will replace the car. Its an HSE with some further extras so it has to be a factory reorder, eta end June Mr. Green I dont mind since my Jan 07 car will be replaced with a June 07 so making it a Reg plate newer and I will have put about 12K on the clock of my existing one before handing it back. Almost like a six month test drive Razz Razz

Post #2410 12th Apr 2007 9:46 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

carlfraz wrote:
Hi pelyma,

If the intermitent electrical problems are due to voltage drops why dont a) Landrover address it & b) advise the dealers??

My dealer may have tested this already, I dont know, all the dealer kept saying was it needs a download patch, then Landrover got involved and the problems still couldnt be fixed so the end result is they will replace the car. Its an HSE with some further extras so it has to be a factory reorder, eta end June Mr. Green I dont mind since my Jan 07 car will be replaced with a June 07 so making it a Reg plate newer and I will have put about 12K on the clock of my existing one before handing it back. Almost like a six month test drive Razz Razz

good on yer Carl ....

Make the dealers live up the expectation of the brand value. My dealer certainly has not done that, but I find I'm compromised by the hurdles the dealer puts in place in terms of getting anything looked at (see my notes elsewhere about loan/hire cars), my dealer is unable(or unwilling) to react to dropping in with the car, with a problem and looking at it. Everything has to be booked in advance and dealt with at their pace. To be honest I think that is crap service, but the nature/demands of my job do not allow the time to be as persistent as I would like to be. I really do feel its a case of the tail wagging the dog, but my situation means that I don't have the time to work at the dealer's pace. It's not right but they get away with it ....

Post #2442 14th Apr 2007 10:12 pm
carlfraz

Avtur, you really must take control of the dog and get it to wag the tail Evil or Very Mad It makes me cross that we work hard for our cash, spend it on something, expect it to be right and when it isn't we just sit back and accept it. If you really have some issues I do urge you (and anybody) to fight your corner as it will pay off, but you must give them reasonable attempts at repair.

Extra light at the end of the tunnel was the dealer said I could change anything on the order if I wanted, so having passed the dealer's automatic demonstrator, all liveried up, I called in for a test drive. Have changed order to the auto box instead of manual, adds a few weeks to delivery, so what was June has now become July. Thumbs Up Razz Thumbs Up

Post #2552 20th Apr 2007 4:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1