Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > First Automatic - Driving Tip Please?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
The Laird

Italy 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

xtattsbox wrote:
The Laird wrote:

So, my situation is I'm driving at 70 mph (maybe in Cruise) and something jams and FL2 will not slow down. In a Manual I would select neutral (something I have done many times even without a problem).

I have never done it with an Automatic.

I still want to know if I should touch brake pedal to do it, or can I just slip it in Neutral without any consequences, other than:

a) no drive to wheels - that is what I wanted to achieve

b) no DSC and Anti Roll - I guess not but in situation I already have a prob

c) no engine braking - that's interesting; the engine is running (I haven't turned it off) so is that statement correct?

d) if c is correct, then will I have lost power steering?

Sorry, one question leads to many (but I don't want to be typing on here when it happens Whistle

A little fatalistic if nothing else!!

a) Correct
b) It will still be there, just not as effective
c) Engine braking is achieved by the drive of the car and the compression in the engine, so that will be gone
d) Nope, the power steeering has a separate pump.

e) You have a Landrover Freelander, not a Toyota!!!

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Yes I know what I'm driving.

It is a hypothetical point and I'd rather think about it now.

Good to know about the Power Steering and all other points are clear except:

"c" - in this situation the engine is still revving at, say, 2000. So surely the engine has compression?

And, I still am no clearer on these points:

- do I have to touch the brake pedal to engage neutral, or just slip it in?

- are there any consequences at speed?

commando That's what I'm trying to find out 09 HSE Auto Lago Grey/Almond Napoli. Privacy glass.

Post #58969 10th Feb 2010 2:28 pm
Matthius

Poland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey
Re: Auto gearbox

alex_pescaru wrote:
The internal pump of the gearbox is driven by the input shaft. So the pressure (and lubrication) is dependant on engine RPM, not the position of the selector.
So as long as the engine is running, the gearbox is lubricated, no matter in which position is the selector.

OK, let me be more precise then - here's what I was told.

It's not advised to engage Neutral while driving. Gearbox pressure is applied depending on various conditions - the speed, engine RPMs, torque, gear level, throttle opening etc. Changing these will affect the pressure. Now imagine, that a car is speeding 70mph, and N is engaged. RPMs go down, but the wheels are still spinning fast. Will 800 RPMs be enough to provide proper pressure for lubrication and cooling of the transmission?

When in doubt, I prefer to stay safe and listen to my LR man. Wink

Post #58970 10th Feb 2010 2:29 pm
The Laird

Matthius wrote:
The Laird wrote:
c) no engine braking - that's interesting; the engine is running (I haven't turned it off) so is that statement correct?

d) if c is correct, then will I have lost power steering?

Sorry, one question leads to many (but I don't want to be typing on here when it happens Whistle

C) YES, no braking (the transmission will not apply the torque converter, if I'm correct)
D) NO, power steering will still work.

Hi Matthius

Thanks.

"the transmission will not apply the torque converter" ... is that controlled by engine revs or Neutral selection? 09 HSE Auto Lago Grey/Almond Napoli. Privacy glass.

Post #58971 10th Feb 2010 2:30 pm
The Laird

npinks wrote:
you loose power basically, i have done this a couple of times thinking i was in command shift

keep meaning to look in the manual for the official ruling on going from drive to neutral but haven't atm

I think this the closest answer to my question. You obviously have done this without touching brake pedal?

I haven't found anything in the manual. 09 HSE Auto Lago Grey/Almond Napoli. Privacy glass.

Post #58972 10th Feb 2010 2:40 pm
The Laird

Matthius wrote:
alex_pescaru wrote:
The internal pump of the gearbox is driven by the input shaft. So the pressure (and lubrication) is dependant on engine RPM, not the position of the selector.
So as long as the engine is running, the gearbox is lubricated, no matter in which position is the selector.

OK, let me be more precise then - here's what I was told.

It's not advised to engage Neutral while driving. Gearbox pressure is applied depending on various conditions - the speed, engine RPMs, torque, gear level, throttle opening etc. Changing these will affect the pressure. Now imagine, that a car is speeding 70mph, and N is engaged. RPMs go down, but the wheels are still spinning fast. Will 800 RPMs be enough to provide proper pressure for lubrication and cooling of the transmission?

Thanks Matthius. Understood Bow down

But in my (hypothetical) case the accelerator/cruise control is stuck/malfunctioning so revs will still be around 2000 Shocked So engaging Neutral or driving into an undefiend object are the only two options. Where is the jettison fuel switch on a FL2 Question

(You may have missed my point ... there is a worldwide crisis for Toyota about accelerators sticking and at least one death because the driver didn't kbnow how to react, i.e. engage Neutral. Now I know we drive the beatiful FL2 but I was thinking about how I would react to such an emergency.) 09 HSE Auto Lago Grey/Almond Napoli. Privacy glass.

Post #58973 10th Feb 2010 2:47 pm
alex_pescaru

Matthius wrote:
Will 800 RPMs be enough to provide proper pressure for lubrication and cooling of the transmission?

Of course it will!
It is not an engine where should be high oil pressures for the bearings to handle forces that are generated by explosions inside burning chambers and neither the temperatures inside an engine.
The only thing that generates heat inside an auto gearbox is the torque converter. And when switched to N, the strain inside it is almost nulified. So no additional heat, no need for cooling.
Matthius wrote:

Me, I prefer to study, read more and to think logical for myself, than to trust a LR man. Laughing

Post #58974 10th Feb 2010 2:52 pm
Matthius

The Laird wrote:
"the transmission will not apply the torque converter" ... is that controlled by engine revs or Neutral selection?

When you select Neutral, gear trains will be simply "disconnected" from the wheels. No force will be transmitted to the converter. The engine will remain idle.

Post #58975 10th Feb 2010 3:07 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

as i have said in the other thread i have slipped my car into neutral at 70mph when i thought i was in command shift, it went to neutral and back to drive without any bump or grinding noise ( the first time I did think O Censored what do i do, but selected drive again anyway)

So my opinion is its safe to do so

You can also turn the engine off by holding the start stop switch whilst in drive, I have done this stationary when trying to work out why my car wont switch off and give me the keys, its due to the car been in drive, and me not putting it in to Park.

Doing this whilst driving, which i believe you still can, will loose power steering, full brake power etc Exclamation

but usefull if trying to sneek home MI5 style and roll to a halt all quietly without your lights on Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58977 10th Feb 2010 3:18 pm
alex_pescaru

npinks wrote:
i have slipped my car into neutral at 70mph when i thought i was in command shift, it went to neutral and back to drive without any bump or grinding noise

Yes, it is safe.
All auto boxes from Aisin Warner have this option implemented in the firmware.
See: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post58962.html#58962

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 10th Feb 2010 5:10 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #58979 10th Feb 2010 3:23 pm
Matthius

The Laird wrote:
But in my (hypothetical) case the accelerator/cruise control is stuck/malfunctioning so revs will still be around 2000 Shocked So engaging Neutral or driving into an undefiend object are the only two options. Where is the jettison fuel switch on a FL2 Question

(You may have missed my point ... there is a worldwide crisis for Toyota about accelerators sticking and at least one death because the driver didn't kbnow how to react, i.e. engage Neutral. Now I know we drive the beatiful FL2 but I was thinking about how I would react to such an emergency.)

Yeah, I noticed that. I hope it'll remain a hypothetical situation for all of us. Should this happen though, the garbox protection will be definitely not the top of my 2do list. Smile
I'd probably do what you suggested - engage N, and floor the brake.

Post #58980 10th Feb 2010 3:24 pm
Matthius

alex_pescaru wrote:
Of course it will!
It is not an engine where should be high oil pressures for the bearings to handle forces that are generated by explosions inside burning chambers and neither the temperatures inside an engine.
The only thing that generates heat inside an auto gearbox is the torque converter. And when switched to N, the strain inside it is almost nulified. So no additional heat, no need for cooling.

I admit it makes sense to me - thanks for shedding some light on this, Alex.
The thing that makes me still worried a bit is the electronics involved. Won't it do anything that would impact the mechanism?

Slightly off top - what's your opinion about changing the ATF earlier than what LR suggests?

Post #58982 10th Feb 2010 3:39 pm
The Laird

alex_pescaru wrote:
npinks wrote:
i have slipped my car into neutral at 70mph when i thought i was in command shift, it went to neutral and back to drive without any bump or grinding noise

Yes, it is safe.
All auto boxes from Aisin Warner has this option implemented in the firmware.
See: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post58962.html#58962

I see commndo opened another thread on this.

Thanks alex again. You do seem to know your stuff Bow down Bow down Bow down 09 HSE Auto Lago Grey/Almond Napoli. Privacy glass.

Post #58984 10th Feb 2010 3:39 pm
alex_pescaru

Matthius wrote:
Slightly off top - what's your opinion about changing the ATF earlier than what LR suggests?

Any change before LR suggest (every 10 years) can't do any harm.
In fact in the specifications of the AW F21 auto gearbox (the one on FL2 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC ) they say that "Transmission fluid is fill for life".
Older Aisin Warner autoboxes specify a change at no more than 60000 miles.
FL2 auto boxes uses a fully syntetic transmission fluid (JWS 3309 type).
As long as some specific temperatures aren't reached (high temperature kills auto gearboxes) the oil, because of its specific properties, could serve for the lifetime of the car.
And you can avoid high oil temperatures by adopting a specific drive style.
But not the depreciation of the oil is the problem (as this can be greatelly reduced in the case of fully syntetic oils), but the contamination with ferodo particles from the disk clutches inside.
This could lead in time to blocked valves.
But as long as there is an efficient filtering system in place, the oil could serve "for life" as stated.
Again, an earlier oil change change can't do any harm and I know that I will check my auto oil somewhere around 60000 miles, if I will still have the car then.

PS: The option that says on Wikipedia that "One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy." is disabled on FL2

Post #58993 10th Feb 2010 4:09 pm
landieguy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

Re how long in (D) Drive - I asked my local dealer's workshop controller the same question shortly after getting my first FL2 Auto. His response - you could leave your car ticking over in drive with the hand brake on and go to bed and the car would suffer no ill effects. A bit extreme??

I reckon its a question of balance - whats the worse wear issue - shifting in and out of drive to neutral versus leaving it in drive and warming up the ATF a bit. A bit of common sense perhaps based on traffic conditions, temperature of the day etc. I tend personally to shift into neutral if I think its going to exceeed a stop of 30 secs or more.

Post #59001 10th Feb 2010 4:28 pm
Matthius

alex_pescaru wrote:

Any change before LR suggest (every 10 years) can't do any harm.

Alex - Bow down
I had a discussion with my brother recently. He works for Castrol (somewhere in QA dept), and was quite surprised when I quoted 150,000 km from FL2 manual. He said that the ATF they produce should not be used beyond 80,000 km, and he would recommend me to change it at least once every 2 years.
Won't harm to try.

alex_pescaru wrote:

PS: The option that says on Wikipedia that "One aspect of the advanced nature of the electronics is at idle, it automatically selects neutral gear to reduce internal temperatures and improves fuel economy." is disabled on FL2

Any idea why did they disable it?

Post #59006 10th Feb 2010 4:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>