Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Your thoughts on should i get all this work done now ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swann36

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 eD4 GS Manual Galway Green
Your thoughts on should i get all this work done now ?

Hello all,
I'd appreciate your thoughts on work that I'm proposing to get done as i think most of it is probably beyond my skills, knowledge & equipment as I only have a gravel driveway to work on her and no garage to put her in, at present I use ramps & bottle jacks plus Axel stands when I work on her.

I know it will come at a price that will no doubt make my eyes water, even using an Indie garage, but I plan on keeping my hippo for as long as possible and i think from what i've read here and elsewhere the work is worth doing and in the case of the 10year 150K items I’m assuming getting them done early is only a positive, however as a final sense check with the knowledgable group here thought I'd best hear what you've all got to say before i approach the garage for a price on all this.

First off my hippo is a MY2011, Freelander 2, 6 speed Manual, ED4 (i know 2 wheel drive not even a real hippo but still my girl for all of that) GS, she has coming up to 120,000 miles on the clock with almost no history between 50K and 95K when i got her a year ago.

1) Sump sandwich plate leak (i live with this for now but know it needs doing at some point)
2) Engine main rear seal leak (i live with this for now but it needs doing)
3) Split turbo drain hose (lived with doesn’t seem to create any issues)
These 3 were identified by Indie garage when i took it in for a "B" service in Feb (i now do the "A" service myself) I was quoted in the region of £1100 to fix them including fitting a new clutch (£200) while they were done as the engine has to be separated from the gearbox to do the main rear seal (a 2 or 3 day job they said as there’s lots of taking apart to be done along with the putting back together) which caused me a deep gulp price wise at the time but on reflection thats a lot of labour time so its probably simply the going rate ?

So while they are doing 1,2 & 3, there are other jobs that would seem to make sense to get done while the engine is dropped out so here goes

4) Coolant renewal (a 150K item)
5) New Ancillary drive belt (a 150K item)
6) New Camshaft drive belt, tensioner & idler pulley (a 150K item)
7) Replace water pump at same time as Cam-belt renewal (I've read thats a good preventative job to do alongside the 150K items)
Cool Renew Manual transmission oil (a 150K item) although I'm not sure if that would happen anyway with them fitting a new clutch ?
9) Replace all the Glow Plugs as i have a code P0683 showing at least one of them has gone
10) Renew Brake Fluid and Flexible hoses (a 3 yearly item that I've no paperwork to show was done)

And finally
11) Clutch Dual Mass Flywheel ? If thats not part of what they meant by replacing the clutch as I’ve read somewhere that its worth getting the DMF done at the same time as the clutch ?

If its possible I’d really appreciate your thoughts on the value of doing all this in one go “while they have her” as well as the value of doing each of the jobs on their own merit, as always on here I learn with every post and appreciate all those who take the time to reply

Post #375649 23rd Jul 2019 11:46 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Personally I would say that anything that involves removing the gearbox and clutch assemblies get as much work done as possible around this, as a big bulk of labour charge will come from the removal and refitting of the housing etc.

so the rear oil seal leak, clutch, DMF, slave cylinder, fluids etc. may as well all get done at the same time.

and while its on the ramps get the belts done and water pump as although LR say 150k you are living a bit on the edge at 120k, and this may as well include flushing the coolant and refilling.

Parts for all of those are relatively inexpensive, but the labour adds the big costs on.

others who are more technically/mechanically minded might say different so don't just take my word for it.

Post #375654 23rd Jul 2019 12:52 pm
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
I am with Rogb most of what you mention the parts will not add massive amounts to your bill anyway Thumbs Up

if doing 1,2,3

then 4 & 5 not much more than the parts cost,
6 is less than £200 as a one off job, to do at 10y but think changed to 7y so due anyway,
7 ? no idea,
8 its 2litres of oil, (75w-80?)
9 ? no idea but if you have a fault already showing,
10 renew fluid and "check" flexis £20,
11 the DMF should be checked with the clutch replacement and replaced if needed its a £1k job on its own to replace the lot istr DM is £150-£200?

time wise do another service as well so fresh engine oil & filter £30, fuel filter £30, air & pollen filter £10 each.

Oh dont forget a lemon and some Ice as well

then a bottle of Gin and Tonic to pass the evening off after the bill lands Thumbs Up

Post #375656 23rd Jul 2019 1:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1