Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Sunroof wont close!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jfeezie

Sunroof wont close!!!!

Ok so I have a sunroof issue. Last night I went to reach for the front dome light and accidentally hit the sunroof vent button. There was a bit of snow and ice on my roof and some must have come in when the roof vented. Upon closing the roof I heard the crunch of the ice so I immediately pulled over opened the roof again and cleaned up my snowy mess. Now when I hold down the button to close the roof it closes but then re opens about a quarter of an inch which makes a ridiculous wind noise when the heater blower is on. I've tried resetting as per instructions in the owner manual but the roof still returns to the partially open vented position. It is acting like the pinch sensor is thinking the roof at the closed position is actually an obstruction and then re opening the roof a little bit to relieve the pressure. Crying or Very sad any thoughts????

Post #38064 4th Mar 2009 2:50 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I had a similar thing recently.
The sunroof was making a whooshing noise at speed like it was slightly open, so I opened it and ice came in.

It carried on until the thaw came then stopped.
I can only assume ice got into the seal somehow and spread it making the gap, which sealed itself when it melted.

Post #38065 4th Mar 2009 3:13 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

hair dryer Idea

Melt any of the snow/ice in the runners or surrounding area

or could it have been derailed by the ice and have you had the sunroof recall modification done?

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1522.html?highlight=p009 Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #38068 4th Mar 2009 5:25 pm
Quagmire

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

I had the a very similar same situation and similar results. I tried all the same reset things. I finally took the car into the dealer. Their solution was a new sunroof motor. It was covered under warranty. It sounds like a design flaw to me. The sunroof should fail to open instead of destroying the motor if it's jammed in some way (e.g. iced over). It's a costly repair ($1500+ CDN) to pay for yourself. Lesson of the day: never open the sunroof in cold weather.

I could get the sunroof to close. To close the sunroof, I had to hold the close button down until the exact moment the sunroof sealed and release it. If I held the close button too long, the sunroof would open. Your problem is a little different than mine so YMMV.

Post #38128 5th Mar 2009 4:41 pm
Quagmire

Canada 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

When I took it in, I made no mention of the likely cause of the issue. It's probably best if you did the same. If LR pins the issue to "operator fault" you'll be stuck with a hefty repair bill. I still say it's a design issue but I'd rather not argue it out with LR.

Post #38132 5th Mar 2009 4:50 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1