Home > Maintenance & Modifications > To replace or not to bother
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shamus5178

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red
To replace or not to bother

All,

Just after peoples thoughts, opinions and experiences.

So, last summer i managed to buy a reasonable state 17" wheels and tyres for £150, with a view to maybe refurb/ change of colour and maybe winter tyres on. When i bought them, they actuall had quite a bit of tread on them so have been running them since then. One at the rear is very close to its limit.

Just to extra to the thought process, of the 5 x 17" wheels, one has 8mm on the spare and a Continental, three have about 3mm General grabbers, with the last one needed to be replaced, again a GEN Grabber. SO if i replaced these, I would only buy three new continentals?

The wheels i took off are the 19" shadow chrome ones with 7-8mm tread all the way round.

My question is this, do i replace the tyres on the 17" wheels and keep them as a spare set/ winter use or stick the 19" back on a run them and replace them as an when neeed?

Post #372361 21st May 2019 11:02 am
riverblanche

England 

Hi,
If I had a spare set of alloys I would put True "Winter" snowflake rated tyres on the 17" and put them on about October and take off around Easter to put the 19" back on

But I have been known to have a few wheel/tyre combinations in the garage over on D3 Rolling Eyes

just a thought Thumbs Up

Post #372373 21st May 2019 12:30 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I think that if you like the 19" wheels then as already said, I would buy a set of 4 x winters for the 17" set and run the 19's during the summer

A set of winters when it is cold and wet always feel very reassuring and I guess you get plenty of that north of the border.

You do of course need to factor in other variables such as "how long do you intend to keep the car" before you make your final decision

Steve

Post #372374 21st May 2019 12:57 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Firstly, the 17"s; For peace of mind, get 4 brand new all-season tyres, or better still 5 new ones for absolute security.

Secondly; get rid of the bling 19" and forget all about summer and winter with all-weathers on the 17"s.

This is exactly what I have done on my Sd4 HSE. Benefits are that the ride is a lot smoother and new tyres all round are a safety comfort. You should get £250 for the 19"s.

Post #372376 21st May 2019 1:14 pm
shamus5178

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Cheers all, I did forget to mention that I live in Kent, nearer to France than London and weather down here is mild to say the least Smile

The 17"s should i keep them, would benifit from a refurb.

Again, cost/ practicality/

Post #372377 21st May 2019 1:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1