Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > How Long For Brake Fluid To Discolour?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Walkerdel

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
How Long For Brake Fluid To Discolour?

Car went in for annual service/mot having only clocked up around 2,000 miles since the last service/mot.

As part of the "health check" (i.e. search for additional work - I'm such a cynic!) it was reported that brake fluid was very discoloured and needed changing. But the brake fluid was [supposed to have been] changed by the garage as an additional item charged for on the service last year (2,000) miles ago.

I didn't check it after the service last year but today the fluid is certainly the colour of lucozade rather than the almost clear colour of new brake fluid.

I've never known brake fluid to discolour so quickly and wondered if anyone knows whether it's possible for brake fluid to get so contaminated in such a short period with so few miles travelled?

I know the obvious conclusion but just wanted some other opinions.

Ta! 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #372114 15th May 2019 9:43 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Sometimes you get a bit of sediment left in the reservoir that can discolour the brake fluid. Whenever I do a brake fluid change, if it’s looking dirty in the reservoir, I remove it and clean it out thoroughly. You can buy a brake fluid tester pretty cheaply to test the condition of the brake fluid. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOT4-DOT5-Brake...SwMnZcf8QZ Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #372115 15th May 2019 9:58 pm
Walkerdel

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thanks Steve,

I didn't know a tester was available so cheaply - I'll have one of those for the toolbox Thumbs Up

How much sediment would be left in a master cylinder after fluid replacement? I've had it replaced (again) and watched the fluid being bled out. There were a couple of pints of orange fluid that looked as though it had done some decent service. 2012 SD4 XS Santorini Black

Post #372116 15th May 2019 10:11 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

It can normally settle at the bottom and it’s just like a thin dark film. Just bleeding it out won’t flush it and in any case, it’s normally minute rubber particles from the master cylinder seals so you wouldn’t want to push that back through the braking system, not that just topping up and bleeding would shift any settled sediment. I normally remove the reservoir, wash it out with hot water and fairy liquid, dry it with a hot air dryer and then put some fresh fluid in, give it a shake, empty, repeat and then refit, fill and bleed.

Contaminated fluid has been brought in as a failure item on the MOT test recently although we are not allowed to remove the cap, just a visual inspection in a transparent reservoir. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #372118 15th May 2019 10:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1