Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DS £13,500 on Autotrader
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Dartman the one

England 

The Ingenium engine is bound to be quieter than the PSA/Ford 2.2 as the block is aluminium alloy as opposed to cast iron alloy, aluminium alloy is less dense than cast iron thus sound doesn't travel as well through it, nothing clever in the design just plain acoustic natural science Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #372196 18th May 2019 7:55 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Hmm. Given the thickness of metal involved in an engine casting I wouldn't have thought that Al vs Fe would make that much difference. I would have thought that other factors such as detonation rates and speed of advance of the flame front from using multiple injections per cycle will have a greater effect on sound levels. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #372204 18th May 2019 9:58 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

A lot depends upon the rigidity of the casting also, the later engines may have been modified slightly to lessen noise transfer, nothing but clever design AND acoustic science Laughing Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372207 18th May 2019 10:46 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

clever design - is where LR have lost their way.

I want reliability, ease of maintenance, more reliability, cheap running costs, and even more reliability.

What is the point of buying "the worlds most capable 4x4" and breaking down on the M6, or driving to foreign parts and the vehicle being impossible to fix (thinking body off for a RRS turbo change), or the car standing on the drive looking pretty, but you can't afford the cost of the fuel if you fancy a dash to friends a few hundred miles away (FFRR anyone?).

Not talking about dumping clever injection systems, but why in the name of all that is holy would you then "forget" to put a drain plug in a differential - it's silly cost cutting that eventually ruins a damn good car. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #372213 18th May 2019 11:16 am
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

Land Rovers have never been reliable.

But we still buy them Thumbs Up MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #372216 18th May 2019 11:23 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

LR NUT wrote:

But we still buy them Thumbs Up

Have to disagree somewhat with that.

MY13 from new, apart from routine servicing has cost me one set of Tyres (+1 extra that I snagged the sidewall on exposed rock), perished short intercooler hose, 1 set of rear pads. Everything else, 60k in, has been bulletproof. Never failed to start, front pads still factory (unheard of) and battery changed last month purely as a precaution.....existing factory battery still spot -on, and kept as a reserve.

Most reliable vehicle I have owned in over 30 years, and I thought that my old J-type Cavalier held that accolade back in the 80's!! MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #372228 18th May 2019 4:27 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

So.....now we know who got the good one! Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #372229 18th May 2019 5:04 pm
LR NUT

Scotland 2014 Freelander 2 TD4_e Dynamic Manual Fuji White

I said Land Rover’s in general Whistle

The Freelander 2 was Land Rover’s most reliable car ever made till date!

That’s JLR’s very own words Wink MY14 Kahn Converted Dynamic - Fuji White Ebony/Pimento Interior
MY15 Xenon Headlight Conversion

MY17 RRS SVR - Estoril Blue Cirrus/Ebony 🪣💺’s

Post #372231 18th May 2019 5:15 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I must have had the other,

Our FL2 - 185k+ miles and the only time it didn't get me home was when the fuel gauge/wiring died, and she had been in a serious rear end shut a few months prior.
Also our 2nd FL1 130k+ miles never missed a beat including driving to and through the Sahara.

That's the sort of reliability I expect from my Land Rovers.

Not saying they aren't allowed to need parts, just they have to ALWAYS get me home. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #372236 18th May 2019 7:09 pm
Jack frost

United Kingdom 
Re: DS £13,500 on Autotrader

Suckfish wrote:
Just seen on Autotrader Discovery sport 2.2 with 158k for £13,500

With 158k on the clock I am shocked they have the cheek to ask £13,500 for it, would not be surprised if it’s on its 2nd engine & 3rd diff at that kind of mileage Whistle

Post #372238 18th May 2019 8:05 pm
SouthamFL2

Diff's will be the least of that vehicles issues. The Diff's are well and truly (finally) sorted on L550....it's the rest of the vehicle that has the (numerous) issues......and I wish ANYONE who doesn't have SDD/Pathfinder the best of British in trying to resolve them! The term 'designed to fail' has never been truer with this variant, and I speak from family experience!

Top tip of the day....hold on to your L359's.........unless you have a deep wallet and the negotiating patience of a Saint, forget anything, and I mean ANYTHING post 2015 with a LR badge. You are just asking for grief..... MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #372240 18th May 2019 10:14 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

[quote="LR NUT"]Land Rovers have never been reliable.

Maybe not in the last 20 years or so. F1, P38 etc....
I've had around 30 Land Rovers over the last 20 odd years.Every one used, most more than 15 - 20 years old before I bought them. (Series vehicles mostly or Defenders) .
Reliability was only ever a real issue on one of my Freelander 1 Td4's, which for some reason ate n/s front driveshafts at a rate of around 2 a year. Got to the stage I would always replace the shaft just before I went on holiday to be sure it wouldn't fail on the M5.
All the rest performed admirably, only one of the Disco's being off the road for a new clutch, and one being sold due to the dreaded Discovery rear floor rot. Both Disco's had covered in excess of 180K and never actually broke down. My ex Military Land Rovers were all ultra reliable, with only normal oil and filter services and the odd bulb now and again. Preventative maintenance is always key, if anything was worn, it was replaced , rather than waiting for it to fail.
My Freelander 2 has left me stranded twice at the side of the road requiring recovery and nice repair bills - but even then, I wouldn't ever class it as unreliable, just unlucky - starter motor fried 2 miles from home and auxiliary pully seizing destroying the belts .
In contrast, my sister's Evoque has been plagued with reliability issues since she bought it new 3 years ago. Hardly a month goes by without LR Assist being called out, or her turning up in a new E-Pace or Velar. She even had to take a Velar back as that went in to limp mode. She was given it to use as her Evoque was with LR - because of a limp mode fault !!
You couldn't make it up Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #372242 18th May 2019 10:21 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

SouthamFL2 wrote:
forget anything, and I mean ANYTHING post 2015 with a LR badge. You are just asking for grief.....

September 2017 L405, 53,000 miles, going well Thumbs Up

Meanwhile, generally speaking...

After over 300,000 miles, between 6 different LR’s, over 8 years, I’ve had just two significant problems. Overall, they may not have been perfect, but they’ve been as good as anything I’ve ever owned before and a lot better than many. LR owners do seem to have the most pessimistic (and easiest and quickest to find fault) outlook of any brand owners I’ve ever known! I long for some balance.

Still wouldn’t buy that DS though, especially when that kind of money could buy something half decent instead Thumbs Up For instance:

https://www.harpendenvans.com/vehicles/lan...ech-16495/

Post #372247 19th May 2019 4:41 am
SouthamFL2

Good spot and an excellent vehicle for the money. The run-out SE Techs were pretty much HSE's rebadged, so apart from the sunroof, it's got the lot! That's a bargain waiting for someone... MY13 HSE Lux.......faultless since new.

Post #372249 19th May 2019 7:06 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

SouthamFL2 wrote:
LR NUT wrote:

But we still buy them Thumbs Up

Have to disagree somewhat with that.

MY13 from new, apart from routine servicing has cost me one set of Tyres (+1 extra that I snagged the sidewall on exposed rock), perished short intercooler hose, 1 set of rear pads. Everything else, 60k in, has been bulletproof. Never failed to start, front pads still factory (unheard of) and battery changed last month purely as a precaution.....existing factory battery still spot -on, and kept as a reserve.

Most reliable vehicle I have owned in over 30 years, and I thought that my old J-type Cavalier held that accolade back in the 80's!!

I concur - I'm on my 3rd FL2 - all have been very reliable - only routine servicing required plus extra oil/filter changes by self. I'll admit Ive had two niggles which should not have happened if the design had been thought through; the wheel arch rubber strips falling off and the HB3 bulbs blowing too soon - fixed as required by self. Jules

Post #372251 19th May 2019 9:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>