Home > General > FL2 models
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
hippo2

United Kingdom 
FL2 models

HI,
im looking to purchase a FL2 soon 2012-2014, up to 50-60,000miles, hopefully lower though, and was looking at the HSE but then started seeing the dynamic which looks nice, then saw a le sport and a metropolis, so I was wondering where they all fit in around the HSE, and any thoughts on the TD4 or SD4, manual or auto, id say having had auto boxes in my last 3 cars id probably rather have an auto nowadays, if there any good that is, all thoughts welcome,
thanks,

lee

Post #371841 11th May 2019 1:12 am
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

I suppose I depends on what toys are important. For me, I upgraded from a Td4 SE auto to a 2012 Sd4 HSE auto because it had two vitals; Was in white with cream leather (very rare) and had Memory seats (my wife and I are the same height sitting down but 9" different standing up). Unfortunately I had no choice with the standard 19" wheels with low profiles which I knew were going to be rock solid, so I traded in the car but kept my original 17" wheels. The Sd4 did a one-off caravan tow from Holland to Spain. The caravan was 7m x 1.8 tonne twin axle, and the Freelander was absolutely superb from twisty mountain roads to motorway cruising. I have owned the car over three years during the repayment lease and underestimated the annual mileage so there was virtually no residual value for another trade in; so I paid the balloon and will keep the car forever; I love it so much. Even if I wanted to change, I now understand that about 2013 the memory seats were discontinued and replaced with an automatic parking brake!? I'll stick with what I've got.

Post #371842 11th May 2019 6:11 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Someone else will fill you in regarding the details of each model spec but as for engines all the SD4 are automatics with the 190 bhp version of the 2.2 engine. Many rate this as the best combination in the Freelander. The 150 bhp versions are still nice to drive but the 190 makes a very capable package and is a superb tow car.
Manual cars have a reputation for fragile clutches although some owners never have a problem.
I came to an Sd4 after many years with a Discovery 2 Td5 and I have to say apart from interior space (boot mainly) the Freelander is every bit as good a car and better in many respects.
You'll not be disappointed. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #371843 11th May 2019 6:12 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I owned two manual TD4’s and then, in a moment of utter madness, bought an automatic SD4 Shocked

It was such a stupid thing to do because I hate automatics Evil or Very Mad But, it’s very difficult to buy an HSE without one and all but impossible to get an HSE Luxury or Metropolis without one Sad

It didn’t take long to find that it suits the car so much better than the manual ever did! Not only does it make the superb SD4 available but, as a modern 6 speed auto, it’s got a nice tall top gear and doesn’t feel like it’s got a perpetually slipping clutch like the yuck automatic ‘boxes of old. It avoids the fragile clutch, which is fine for standard road use but, if you need to do something difficult, like retrieve a trailer from a field, you will fry the clutch very easily. The automatic’s ability to creep at very low speeds helps make up for the lack of low range and it generally makes it much easier and more effective off road Thumbs Up

Since then, I’ve owned another 3 Land Rovers - all automatics Very Happy

While is own a manual FL2 over a generic “car” any day Yawn the auto is definitely the one to track down.

Post #371845 11th May 2019 6:29 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

If you’re planning on using the FL2 as LR intended, it has some of the very best approach and departure angle available. You’ll lose this advantage with the Dynamic and Sport LE, so it really depends on what use you’re planning to put it to Thumbs Up

Post #371847 11th May 2019 7:04 am
Largered

"If you’re planning on using the FL2 as LR intended ......... "

Which MANY people don't ........

I have mine ........... as what I intend using it for.

Post #371849 11th May 2019 7:47 am
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Paul4751 wrote:
I suppose I depends on what toys are important. For me, I upgraded from a Td4 SE auto to a 2012 Sd4 HSE auto because it had two vitals; Was in white with cream leather (very rare) and had Memory seats (my wife and I are the same height sitting down but 9" different standing up). Unfortunately I had no choice with the standard 19" wheels with low profiles which I knew were going to be rock solid, so I traded in the car but kept my original 17" wheels. The Sd4 did a one-off caravan tow from Holland to Spain. The caravan was 7m x 1.8 tonne twin axle, and the Freelander was absolutely superb from twisty mountain roads to motorway cruising. I have owned the car over three years during the repayment lease and underestimated the annual mileage so there was virtually no residual value for another trade in; so I paid the balloon and will keep the car forever; I love it so much. Even if I wanted to change, I now understand that about 2013 the memory seats were discontinued and replaced with an automatic parking brake!? I'll stick with what I've got.

"I now understand that about 2013 the memory seats were discontinued and replaced with an automatic parking brake!?"

My 2013 SD4 HSE has memory drivers seat and EPB, I also thought the HSE came with 18" wheels as standard Question mine did. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Last edited by Milothedog on 11th May 2019 5:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #371876 11th May 2019 5:08 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Tigger wrote:
If you’re planning on using the FL2 as LR intended, it has some of the very best approach and departure angle available.:

Unless of course you stick a towing hitch on which sticks out 18” Very Happy Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #371877 11th May 2019 5:19 pm
hippo2

United Kingdom 

thanks for all the replies so far chaps, on looks alone im steering towards the dynamic, I just need to find out the spec/options difference between the dynamic and the HSE, or even the HSE lux, think iv settled on the SD4 auto.
my off roading is really limited to a bit of clay pigeon shooting so really only across a bit of rough ground, wet at times, my last freelander was a 2004 td4 and id taken that shooting once on a farm and had to go across a wetish ploughed field, and it ate it up, most impressed,
thanks.

lee

Post #371881 11th May 2019 5:32 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

I understand the dynamic is an XS Fl2 with the body kit and 19" wheels fitted.

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #371886 11th May 2019 5:42 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The kind of use your going to be doing, tyres are more important than anything else.

Do bear in mind interior trim colour (unless your going for black) as the full light interior was restricted to just seats but not door cards and carpets later in the FL2 life. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #371887 11th May 2019 5:44 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Not sure that's correct about the trim Question . My 2013 HSE has Ivory trim throughout and my mates 2014 Metropolis has ivory seats and tan door cards.

Also 4 out the 5 cars with light interiors on the used approved website have the same colour door cards and other trim panels. All are 14/64 reg. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Last edited by Milothedog on 11th May 2019 6:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #371889 11th May 2019 6:03 pm
hippo2

United Kingdom 

it certainly seems difficult to find out the trim/options differences,
iv just been looking at one with cream interior, seats carpets door cards the lot, I do like the dynamic for the black and red/cream trim, and of course the bodykit, ideally id like a HSE lux with the dynamic body kit, but that's not going to happen,
so ideally id like the normal things like a decent stereo, electric windows, not bothered about a sunroof really, not bothered about electric seats as only I will be driving it, heated seats would be nice, parking sensors, a good stereo, sat nav, phone connectivity, push button start, would all be nice, not really bothered about AC, im still stuck on the look of the dynamic Very Happy

Post #371891 11th May 2019 6:15 pm
hippo2

United Kingdom 

this is from the parkers website

Dynamic standard equipment
Audio remote
Body coloured bumpers
CD
Cruise control
Electric driver`s seat
Electric passenger`s seat
Front fog lights
Headlight washers
Heated seats
Leather seat trim
Parking sensors
Sat Nav
Service indicator
Steering wheel rake adjustment
Steering wheel reach adjustment
Telephone

HSE standard equipment
Audio remote
Body coloured bumpers
CD Multichanger
Cruise control
Electric driver`s seat
Electric sunroof
Front fog lights
Headlight washers
Heated seats
Leather seat trim
Parking sensors
Sat Nav
Telephone

HSE LUX standard equipment
Audio remote
Body coloured bumpers
CD
Cruise control
Electric driver`s seat
Electric sunroof
Front fog lights
Headlight washers
Heated seats
Leather seat trim
Parking sensors
Sat Nav
Service indicator
Telephone

Post #371892 11th May 2019 6:19 pm
hippo2

United Kingdom 

doesn't say anything about the different wheels/sizes or the stereo systems, pretty poor really

Post #371893 11th May 2019 6:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>