Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Options for CarPlay into 2009 HSE?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lowbrow

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black
Options for CarPlay into 2009 HSE?

Hi guys, new to freelander 2s, getting mine in the next couple of weeks Very Happy

I know there’s a lot of info about different factory sound systems/year models about on this site but was hoping someone will have the patience to offer me some guidance on the matter, I’ve seen this and the helpful folks on chat there claim this is a plug and play solution to achieve what I’m after.. https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/land-rover...roid-auto/

Anyone had experience fitting this unit? Is it any good?

Knowing any Pros-cons and potential pitfalls would be greatly appreciated before I’m up to my elbows in wiring looms, swearing at inanimate things. Confused

Post #407396 6th May 2021 4:02 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

I'm guessing it has the MOST loop, so the factory nav can be removed without upsetting the whole system.

I'm happy to leave mine just the way it is, as it does what I need. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.
Hyundai Ionic 5 Ultimate on order.
Gone. 2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE.

Post #407418 6th May 2021 9:08 pm
lowbrow

Hi Nodge, thanks for getting back to me! Looking at the spec, you’re right about the MOST loop, though I’m not really up on what that means at this stage, here are some more details that looked relevant..

In Car Entertainment / Speakers - Premium ICE Branded [025GQ]

CD Player - 6 Disc CD / MOST (Premium Ice) [025KL]

Digital Radio Receiver - Analogue Radio & DAB Reception [025KP]

Navigation Systems - Colour Nav. System with TMC [025KT]

I get you on not changing what works for you, however I’ve found CarPlay to be quite useful and would love to replicate that in the freelander somehow.. What YM and system do you have?

Post #407421 6th May 2021 10:20 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

The search engine is always worth a try. This is two threads below this one - https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30709.html

Post #407434 7th May 2021 10:02 am
Nodge68

lowbrow wrote:
Hi Nodge, thanks for getting back to me! Looking at the spec, you’re right about the MOST loop, though I’m not really up on what that means at this stage, here are some more details that looked relevant..

I get you on not changing what works for you, however I’ve found CarPlay to be quite useful and would love to replicate that in the freelander somehow.. What YM and system do you have?

I have a 09MY UK spec SE, so it has the nav and Alpine 9 speaker audio (I plan on installing 14 speaker system at some point), with 6 disc MP3 CD player HU. I find that the 6 MP3 CDs gives me more than enough music for a substantial journey, but I can use the AUX input if I want to listen to music from my Droid.
Phone integration is acceptable, and so I don't need anything extra there.

While the nav is basic, it's not terrible, and I do like the way it gives close filling station suggestions, when the low fuel warning light comes on.

So for me, shelling out £500 on what is effectively another screen isn't something I would personally do, especially as I couldn't listen to the radio, or CD while getting nav voice guidance. 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #407437 7th May 2021 11:02 am
lowbrow

Simon J wrote:
The search engine is always worth a try. This is two threads below this one - https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30709.html

Thanks Simon, lots of great info in that thread, not read it all yet but I’m getting there!

Post #407485 8th May 2021 5:41 pm
lowbrow

Nodge68 wrote:
lowbrow wrote:

I have a 09MY UK spec SE, so it has the nav and Alpine 9 speaker audio (I plan on installing 14 speaker system at some point), with 6 disc MP3 CD player HU. I find that the 6 MP3 CDs gives me more than enough music for a substantial journey, but I can use the AUX input if I want to listen to music from my Droid.
Phone integration is acceptable, and so I don't need anything extra there.

While the nav is basic, it's not terrible, and I do like the way it gives close filling station suggestions, when the low fuel warning light comes on.

So for me, shelling out £500 on what is effectively another screen isn't something I would personally do, especially as I couldn't listen to the radio, or CD while getting nav voice guidance.

Thanks Nodge, you’re right it is a lot of money, I’m planning on running it standard for a bit to see how I get along, using iPhone for Spotify etc, I’ll most probably end up upgrading further down the road, I just like learning how it all works if I’m considering a project. Smile

Post #407487 8th May 2021 5:52 pm
Simon J

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

A man after my own heart, lowbrow - there’s lots to read in that thread. As I don’t have a factory screen the attraction is primarily Car Play to give music and decent navigation other than on my phone screen. Plus, of course, more toys are always better Very Happy

Post #407488 8th May 2021 6:03 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

I have fitted an aftermarket Alpine headunit to my MY11. I have the SE with the MOST system which makes the whole process a pain in the arse and very expensive.
But I do have CarPlay and rear camera now!
There's a thread about it here somewhere ...
 MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #407515 9th May 2021 1:44 pm
lowbrow

That is one route I could go Jeff, I already have a pioneer SPH-DA120 double din CarPlay unit which I just removed from my previous car before i send it off to be scrapped. What were the costs involved?

Post #407522 9th May 2021 3:15 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

There is the head unit to start with.
I got a harness that connects to the vehicle cables and includes a loop wire for one MOST connector. This also enables the steering wheel controls which I didn't want to lose. This has ISO connectors at the headunit end.
Therefore
Then there was a harness that converts the headunit outputs to the ISO connectors.

The ISO conversion harness was about $40 I think.
The ISO to LR harness was close to $900.
Plus the headunit cost.
But I do have my steering wheel controls and CarPlay. My iphone gets way better maps that are always updated. The headunit has it's own GPS receiver on the dash, plus my phone connects to a Garmin GPS receiver via Bluetooth, so I'm not dependent on phone signal to use a map such as Avenza downloadable free maps.

Not a straighforward procedure, so I can now get the centre binnacle out in about 10 minutes, I've done it so often.

The conversion harnesses are Aerpro branded, although it is actually made in the UK by Connect2.

Hope that helps. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #407572 10th May 2021 12:54 pm
Nodge68

ozjeff62 wrote:
I have fitted an aftermarket Alpine headunit to my MY11. I have the SE with the MOST system which makes the whole process a pain in the arse and very expensive.
But I do have CarPlay and rear camera now!
There's a thread about it here somewhere ...

Does it retain the PDC? 2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Soon to be sold.

Post #407574 10th May 2021 1:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1