« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Fumes in the cabin - EGR or related, apparently
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Fumes in the cabin - EGR or related, apparently

So, I have been informed that the fumes ingress that's just started manifesting itself is coming from something related to the EGR valve - either a faulty valve itself, or possibly a pipe split/leaking... needs investigating at the garage.

This not a subject I know anything about- I can see on Rimmer Bros that a new EGR valve is £300.00 or so (LR Original) or about two thirds for a pattern equivalent.

All a little bit frustrating as the guys at the garage said the EGR was in perfect health and didn't need replacing when my shiny new exchange engine went in just under 2,000 miles ago... I replaced a lot else... injectors, fuel pump, powered steering pump, starter motor, alternator, etc...

It would have cost me this six weeks ago rather than now, so no serious complaints as this is just one of those things, parts do fail and T.B.H. I still prefer this 127K mile FL2 HSE with the new engine rather than a newer, still-depreciating DS that would cost me twice as much to own overall compared to what I've paid for this one, including the engine replacement... this cost won't make too much overall difference to that.

... BUT...what had me off my chair was also being told that, in all probability, the engine might need to come out again to sort this, as the faults will be at the back of the engine... Shocked

So can I reach out and push the bull**t detection button on that one, please... I'm not sure they are correct on that, and I'm certainly not willing to go that route again if I shouldn't need to... it'll be handy to know for sure if this is the case when I go in there in the next day or so and "negotiate"... Confused

Many thanks... Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #371563 6th May 2019 6:16 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I had EGR replaced a couple of months ago, no engine out. The guy said it is difficult to get to but def didn't need the engine out.

Post #371586 7th May 2019 9:23 am
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Make sure whoever does the "investigation" knows what they are doing - fumes will be from a split or a loose connection - the EGR is a device to recirculate exhaust fumes so you would expect it to be kicking out fumes!
I'd take it to a good independent or even for peace of mind a main stealer just to be sure they fix the right problem Whistle No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #371592 7th May 2019 11:32 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

^
^
^ definitely wot’e’said.......also check the prices on the Ford/Peugeot EGR (if indeed it really needs changing)......I would have thought it was the same part, somebody in here might confirm I hope? Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #371594 7th May 2019 12:03 pm
steven211

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Go somewhere which can smoke test the exhaust system to get a reliable diagnosis.

Post #371792 10th May 2019 6:45 am
Deafender

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Great advice, thank you all...

The outcome wasn’t what was expected... The car recently had the rear bumper and exhaust profile altered from convex to concave by a twit using a mobile phone in his Peugeot, and when it came back the first time from repair we had fumes ingress then, and discovered a really shoddy job of the repair by my insurer’s provider - the exhaust system from Turbo backwards was then replaced without any quibble from either insurer or repair agent.

A week later the engine was wrecked by a valve dropping through the pot... and an exchange engine has gone in, but we found we still had fumes as before.

Anyway, several hours of CSI-style investigation by my garage found that the flange on an exhaust connection just back from the engine had a flaw in it and was leaking, they found it through soot deposit on the pipe - again not detected by the Insurer’s repair agent, who had put it in - and that section of exhaust has had to be replaced yet again.,, Third time in two months Shocked

They’ve also had to replace the Pollen Filter which was well and truly contaminated, and I’m just about managed to get rid of the lingering smell inside, thanks to the weather allowing me to blast air through the windows at speed.

So not the EGR at all, but the fafff continues around of whipping the Insurer for continuing to use that particular repair agent, and geting my not inconsiderable garage bill paid. Lexus RX450H - 500 mile a week commuter- I just couldn’t trust in a newer RRS or DS for that….
2009 Freelander 2 HSE... 155K miles, we’ve done 135k of those, has done brilliantly on the commute and staying firmly put as car two in the household
2002 Jaguar XK8 Coupe... fun, fast, ours for 12 years and owes us nothing - so staying with us too…

Post #372500 24th May 2019 5:53 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1