Home > General > Freelander 2 or something else
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RobLR

United Kingdom 
Freelander 2 or something else

Hi guys,

I'm new on here. I was hoping that I could get some advice.

I'm looking for a vehicle to use on long journeys all over the UK, Cornwall, Devon, Wales, Scotland. I also want something that I can use for the occasional light off roading days or even a bit of green laning.

The freelander 2 looks ideal. I was also looking at the discovery sport but that seems to be plagued by problems. Does anyone know if they've sorted out most of the issues with those?

For me, reliability is my top concern, I want something that I only need to take into the garage once or twice a year.

Should I go for one of the latest 2014 SD4 auto models? I know there's been a few recalls. I can't seem to find which year they made the most reliable models.

This would be second car. My main car is a Nissan Leaf 2018, I know some of you will laugh at that here but I absolutely love it, I don't think that I could ever go back to an ICE car for my daily commuter, the benefits of an EV outweigh anything. I bought it because I love tech and I wanted a car that's smooth and easy to drive in the city, the green side of it is an added bonus.

Rob

Post #371107 30th Apr 2019 4:11 pm
Bibendum

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Indus Silver

I haven't laughed at the Leaf....

As for the DS vs FL2 quandry, well that's tricky to answer!

Let's start with off road. The FL2 is very capable as is the DS. The FL2 has significantly better approach and departure angles. Breakover and ground clearance is about the same and the DS has a 100mm better wading depth. The traction control systems are about the same. So unless you plan to wade deeper than 500mm regularly then the FL2 makes a better case for itself.

On road, the DS is a class apart. Significantly smoother and quieter it is a much more relaxing drive, it is also significantly more spacious in the back and in the boot. The only area on road where the FL2 wins is that the seating position gives a bit better view out.

As for fixing the DS bugs, my 2019 MY has done 7000 miles in 4 months with no issues. The service interval indicator shows that it will do another 14k miles before a service so all good so far. There is a caveat though, I seldom do journeys less than 15 miles in the car and frequently much more so my usage is well suited to the engine. Given that you use another car for the short trips then the oft reported oil dilution issue shouldn't be a problem for you either. If you are worried about that though get an early DS with the 2.2 engine or the petrol variant.

So which will you use it for the most is the question. 2019 Discovery Sport Landmark in Corris Grey
2014 FL2 XS TD4 Manual - Gone at 93k miles - great car.

Post #371111 30th Apr 2019 5:09 pm
Bibendum

Couple of other things....

My FL2 let me down a couple of times at 90k miles with the engine cutting out, needing the nice RAC man to give it a poke and prod. A tricky fault to find but it turned out to be a fuel rail pressure sensor that was faulty. It cost c£300 to fix.

If you are off roading in a DS, you will want a full size spare wheel. To get that you want either the the 5 seat variant or the 7 seat with the factory spare wheel. You can't (easily) retrofit a spare to a standard 7 seater as the exhaust and the boot floor are different. 2019 Discovery Sport Landmark in Corris Grey

Post #371113 30th Apr 2019 5:21 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Not driven a DS but very pleased with my 2014 Sd4 Freelander 2 both solo and towing twin axle caravan. Reliability has been 100%. Bow down Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #371125 30th Apr 2019 7:38 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

My old FL2 was nigh on bomb proof 185k miles and only failed to get me home once.
Then again it was a 2008 auto, so no DPF or other such nonsense, but a lot heavier on fuel than the 2016 ignium engine DS that we now have, 27mpg vs 37mpg.

My journey to work is 40 miles each way, 30 miles each way on the motorway, the DS still does an active regen twice a week, and can't manage 10k between oil changes. Off-road not a lot in it, have clouted the DS a couple of times on the underside, and am waiting for SWMBO to let me buy/make a set of underbody protection - at which point the DS will get a proper workout.
To drive on the motorway they are both capable, comfortable, and safe (rear ended in the FL2 at 70++ and still drove home), treat them like a sports car and they will quickly make passengers sea sick - the DS wins out with stiffer suspension, but by the same token the softer suspension of the FL2 takes badly rutted lanes at greater speed without loosing fillings. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #371145 30th Apr 2019 10:51 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

The DS seems to be less good on ground clearance - I have bottomed mine and the LR Experience instructors seem very wary of doing the same. It's a far better drive than the FL2, but I think the FL2 has the edge on reliability, owing to its less complex emissions system. My MY16 has had a blocked adblue injector and a faulty dpf led to it and the egr cooler being replaced. But it's been fine since. As above, if buying secondhand you'll be lucky to get a full-size spare, although some 7 seaters came with a skinny spare. Neither can be retrofitted. It's worth remembering that the FL2 is getting a bit long in the tooth now.
Myself, I'd go for a DS with a long warranty and preferably LR Assistance just in case. I wouldn't want to go back to the FL2. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #371149 30th Apr 2019 11:24 pm
RobLR

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the information. That's really helpful. I'm still torn between both of them.

One of the things that I didn't mention in my first post is that I've seen a read a number of stories where modern Land Rovers have shut down a high speed. I remember seeing a police program on TV, a woman driving an Evoque on the 2nd lane on the motorway was completely stuck, her car just shut down at 70mph, she couldn't bring it back to life, she had to sit in the car with the traffic whizzing past in either side while she waited for the police. I read a similar story about a DS on a forum or review somewhere.

On long journeys on A and B roads, the DS sounds like it would be more enjoyable and comfortable to drive.

I'm surprised at how well the FL2 had kept it's value. If I buy one, I'd be looking at a 13 or 14 place with less than 40k miles on it, I'd be paying around £14 - 17k. Used DS start at about £20k, I'd probably need to spend about £30k to get one that's less than a year old and still has plenty of warranty on it.

I prefer the boxy look of the FL2, the discovery, discovery sport, range rover and evoque all look so similar now. I hope the new defender doesn't have a similar look.
On that note, I love the look of the new Suzuki Jimny, I think I'm going to get one as a toy.

Post #371152 1st May 2019 1:17 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I went to look at the new Jimny out of curiosity, the looks are absolutely spot on Thumbs Up

However it is indeed a toy !!!!..... should be called Suzuki Tiny Laughing

Post #371160 1st May 2019 7:43 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I also looked a the Suzuki a few months back , when my boy leased a new Swift Boostjet . I’d wondered if it would make the grade as a shopper for my wife ( she had an SJ 413 in 1990 ) . However it is truly too small to do anything serious with , although the metallic green with black roof auto I saw was impressive as a toy, the price was plain daft . The FL2 will continue to be used until it dies which will be a good few years yet . Having experienced Subaru’s legendary reliability for 3 years, I’m of the opinion that we will always have one in the family . They are just launching two new versions on their new world platform which are self charging petrol- electric hybrids . I think the Forester is one of those , and in spirit, that car is still one of the only true all purpose do anything SUVs in the same mould as the FL2 , and to date they haven’t priced them into the stratosphere .

Still , 27 months to my state pension , and I’m still doing mental juggling how to spend it , Ford Mustang in Highland Green , Porsche Cayman in Miami Blue , or an Isuzu pickup with a tricked out shooting box in the back ... or a used top end F type , I’d like to own a monster before the Packhamites and Swampies finally save the planet from evil blokes like me ! 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #371170 1st May 2019 9:45 am
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Better still spunk £10,000 on a salmon fishing trip to Iceland. You know it makes sense Laughing MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #371172 1st May 2019 10:16 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Oh don’t worry , by the time they wheel me into a failed private equity hotel for the feeble and senile , I’ll make sure that I’ve spent the last twenty years doing such things Laughing All my heroes are “anti heroes” if you get my drift . James Hunt , Barry Sheene , Keith Moon , Keith Richards , Steve McQueen ( who actually took Moony to task with a shotgun ! ) , all of their biographies are next to my fly tying books .

However the king of them all was George Best who is credited with “I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered” Laughing 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #371181 1st May 2019 11:35 am
Bibendum

Past master wrote:
The DS seems to be less good on ground clearance - I have bottomed mine and the LR Experience instructors seem very wary of doing the same. ......

The ground clearance is pretty much identical, its the approach and departure angles that are the issue. On the LR experience track near Skipton there are a couple of bits the FL2 can do that the DS cant - unless you dont mind losing the rear bumper. 2019 Discovery Sport Landmark in Corris Grey

Post #371186 1st May 2019 12:59 pm
RobLR

United Kingdom 

I'm leaning more towards a freelander 2 now. Because they've already lost a lot of their value, I could buy one and then sell it in 6 months. If I buy a newer DS, I'll have to commit to it for longer.

For the price of a newer DS, I could have a freelander 2 and a new Jimny and have twice the fun.

Post #371199 1st May 2019 3:00 pm
Bibendum

That's a fair comment - and either is a decent choice! 2019 Discovery Sport Landmark in Corris Grey

Post #371208 1st May 2019 4:14 pm
ronp

Scotland 

The FL2 is a damn fine car, [LR's best kept secret].

Go for it. Thumbs Up FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #371210 1st May 2019 4:30 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>