« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EVs and total carbon footprint
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
RobLR

United Kingdom 

jules wrote:
When they can produce a "Ford Fiesta ST" type runaround for about £20K, then Ill be interested.

They already have with the Nissan leaf. The base model is £28k, you get a £3.5k grant from the government.

The costs of running it are far lower. There's a lot of free parking and free chargers around. They will hold their value more than a fiesta.

The only downside at the moment is for people who occasionally do long journeys. Stopping to charge is a bit of a pain.

For now, they suit most 2 car family households.

If anyone here is thinking about getting one, I'd highly recommend doing it. You won't look back.

Post #371434 4th May 2019 1:02 am
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

“The only downside”?

For me the first downside is your Nissan Leaf’s £28k! And you are suggesting it as one of two cars? Our two cars, cost £15k total, and these are still the most expensive cars I have ever bought! 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #371435 4th May 2019 5:57 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

We only run one car. That's enough money down the drain. We could get away without a car as we barely use it other than traveling. AU$10,000 on fuel in 4.5 years. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #371436 4th May 2019 6:14 am
j77

Scotland 

My Velar was £58k to get an identical spec I-pace, which is similar size to the Velar, it’s almost £70k. An F-Pace is even cheaper, in fact the F-Pace SVR with a wonderful V8 can be had for the price of an I-Pace and I know what I’d rather have.

Once prices come down and I can get a real world range of 400 miles at least then I may be interested. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #371437 4th May 2019 7:31 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Maybe they start putting bigger tanks in like Toyota. I have to stick extra fuel on the roof to avoid paying extra to go from Norseman to Ceduna on the Eyre highway, 1200km. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #371439 4th May 2019 7:57 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
When they can produce a "Ford Fiesta ST" type runaround for about £20K, then Ill be interested.

Good car, how long have you had your ST? Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #371441 4th May 2019 8:42 am
RobLR

United Kingdom 

The more research you do, the more you'll be convinced.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/20...-run-study

It's so much cheaper.

After the government grant, the base model of the leaf is £24.5k

It costs around 4p per mile. But there are people paying less than that, it's free to charge at Nissan garages, there's many car parks and work places that have free charging.

With the e-pedal and the regent braking, the brakes are barely used, I probably only touch the break pedal a couple of times a week. All the other running costs are far lower.

0 road tax. In Leeds, you can get a permit to park for free in all council car parking spaces.

The list of cost saving goes on and on.

I wouldn't get an I pace as a daily car. If you're going spend that much and you're doing long journeys, you need a Tesla, the range is much better and you get access to their super charger network as well as the standard chargers. You can pick up a decent second hand model 1 for about £40k.

If own a company, there's huge savings to be had if it's a company car.

Once you've converted, You'll never want to go back to an ICE car as your daily drive.

Post #371454 4th May 2019 10:45 am
RobLR

United Kingdom 

I forgot to mention the plugin hybrids. The Prius and the Hyundai ioniq are the best at the moment.

I've got a friend at work. In the last 12 months he's done 9000 miles and only filled up tthe petrol tank twice. He plugs it in every night and only uses petrol when he goes on longer journeys. If you want, on a long journey you can plugin when possible to keep the petrol usage down.

If I was on a smaller budget, I would consider one. The ioniq looks nicer.

Post #371455 4th May 2019 11:09 am
Boxbrownie

Daughter took delivery of her iPace a couple of weeks ago and her hubby has been constantly borrowing it to demo to his mates (all farm type big machine petrol/diesel heads) the accel to 100mph Shocked ........on a private road of course.

He is absolutely blown away by the iPace and can’t wait to drive it down to Cornwall to stretch it’s legs, only one charge needed on route, perfect to water, change and placate the kid in the back Laughing Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #371468 4th May 2019 2:54 pm
j77

Scotland 

Would still rather have the F-Pace SVR.

Other than straight line pace EVs are just dull. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #371472 4th May 2019 5:52 pm
Boxbrownie

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Post #371474 4th May 2019 7:31 pm
j77

Scotland 

I’m keen to try an I-pace but no engine noise, it just all seems lifeless. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #371475 4th May 2019 7:51 pm
Boxbrownie

Well my daughter got really pi55ed off with the SiL because he keeps turning on the “engine noise” to maximum, makes her jump when she starts it up.....she prefers (as I do) the whoosh/whirr of the motor upon accel.....very Dan Dare Laughing Regards

David

Post #371476 4th May 2019 8:33 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

RobLR wrote:
jules wrote:

They already have with the Nissan leaf. The base model is £28k, you get a £3.5k grant from the government.

The costs of running it are far lower. There's a lot of free parking and free chargers around. They will hold their value more than a fiesta.

The only downside at the moment is for people who occasionally do long journeys. Stopping to charge is a bit of a pain.

If anyone here is thinking about getting one, I'd highly recommend doing it. You won't look back.

I'm not convinced.
Does the Nissan Leaf really perform and handle like the ST ?
The base model Leaf is £10K more than the top of the range Fiesta.
Whats is a 3 year old Leaf worth ?
From google search "The all-electric Nissan Leaf suffered a 71.7 percent decline in value over five years, including a 70.3 percent decline in Denver, making it the worst model when it comes to depreciation, according to the study.11 Oct 2018 Jules

Post #371477 4th May 2019 9:01 pm
Mowog

RobLR wrote:
jules wrote:

A bit of a pain.......yes, you could say that

Post #371479 4th May 2019 9:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>