Home > General > 2014 metropolis
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Chrisk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black
2014 metropolis

Hello all bit of a long one I’m afraid.

I bought a 64plate metropolis from a distance as it were placing far too much trust in the Land Rover approved used scheme.
Deposit paid to secure the car we traveled up for a road test etc and looked round it pointing out several issues which we were assured would be sorted prior to collection.

Upon collection I had to spit my dummy out after I paid for it went round to it to find it in worse condition than before.
Stone chips not sorted, rear windows not working, chipped windscreen, rear diff seal leak, key blade missing, mirrors sticking and several scratches not sorted.

I was loaned a brand new Range Rover while they sorted it all out (approx 3 days) but after 2 weeks I’ve heard nothing from them, very strange?

I’m kind of loathed to chase them as I’m using their 19 plate rangie which I’m more than happy to clock up the miles on but starting to wonder if they crashed it or something now ?
Are LR main dealers always this slow and hopeless?
Business manager assured me that the 30day exchange policy would restart from when they returned the car to me to ensure that I was happy with the car/repairs but wondering if I should start trying to reject it after all this time.

Post #370321 16th Apr 2019 6:44 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Not sure about what to do in the long term, but I would be very sure that you get all your communications in written form.

Forget about the phone, email them, and force them to email you back.

Start by emailing them with your understanding of what has happened and what they have promised, and ask them to confirm that you have understood them correctly.

Copy the original advert, is the car as they described it? Did you originally get any photos or reasurance from the salesman.

Best of luck, the Metro SD4 is a very nice car if you can get it sorted. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #370322 16th Apr 2019 7:01 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

As above.

They are trying to time you out of both the 30 day exchange policy, as well as your right to automatically reject within 30 days under consumer law.

If and when they return the vehicle, I would be accepting it back less a substantial discount. Essentially you paid March money for it, and we are now in April/May/June, (delete as applicable), and as such, the vehicle is no longer worth what you initially paid for it as it has depreciated whilst not in your custody.

Put that to them in writing forcing a written acknowledgement or response, as you will need to rely on written communication should you need to walk away from it in the near future.

Post #370323 16th Apr 2019 7:11 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

We've had two LR used approved FL2's my Son's one in 2014 (07 XS) which had issues soon after collecting it from Carrs in Truro, (we live in London) all sorted eventually to our satisfaction and given a nice car to use when it was away. Then we bought our own FL2 (13 reg HSE) from Harwoods, Gatwick which has been fine to date, some 3 years on.

Our experience of the LR used approved scheme has been excellent if that helps you put your mind at rest Thumbs Up 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #370324 16th Apr 2019 7:12 pm
Chrisk

SouthamFL2 wrote:
As above.

They are trying to time you out of both the 30 day exchange policy, as well as your right to automatically reject within 30 days under consumer law.

If and when they return the vehicle, I would be accepting it back less a substantial discount. Essentially you paid March money for it, and we are now in April/May/June, (delete as applicable), and as such, the vehicle is no longer worth what you initially paid for it as it has depreciated whilst not in your custody.

Put that to them in writing forcing a written acknowledgement or response, as you will need to rely on written communication should you need to walk away from it in the near future.

Thanks for the advice

That’s what I was wondering about but the sales manager did assure me the 30day exchange period would start again from when it got returned.
Not sure about the depreciation at this stage it’s only been 2 weeks just strange that there’s been zero contact.
Definitely need an email me thinks for the paper trail

Post #370327 16th Apr 2019 7:30 pm
Chrisk

IanMetro wrote:
Not sure about what to do in the long term, but I would be very sure that you get all your communications in written form.

Forget about the phone, email them, and force them to email you back.

Start by emailing them with your understanding of what has happened and what they have promised, and ask them to confirm that you have understood them correctly.

Copy the original advert, is the car as they described it? Did you originally get any photos or reasurance from the salesman.

Best of luck, the Metro SD4 is a very nice car if you can get it sorted.

Yes seems strange and I will definitely use email so I have it all in writing.
I have the original advert but the main thing is it clearly hasn’t met the scheme standards which they can’t get away from.
Thanks yes it’s a lovely drive just a shame the buying experience has gone from excitement to dread but that’s life lol

Post #370329 16th Apr 2019 7:36 pm
Chrisk

Milothedog wrote:
We've had two LR used approved FL2's my Son's one in 2014 (07 XS) which had issues soon after collecting it from Carrs in Truro, (we live in London) all sorted eventually to our satisfaction and given a nice car to use when it was away. Then we bought our own FL2 (13 reg HSE) from Harwoods, Gatwick which has been fine to date, some 3 years on.

Our experience of the LR used approved scheme has been excellent if that helps you put your mind at rest Thumbs Up

Nice to know it works out sometimes 👍🏻

Post #370330 16th Apr 2019 7:38 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I would walk away, not what you you expected and may always disappoint long term.

Iain

Post #370334 16th Apr 2019 8:00 pm
Chrisk

Is it that easy to reject it though?

Post #370336 16th Apr 2019 8:28 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

First 30 days, yes. Without exception.
After that, 6 months once dealer notified of a defect or fault, and as I understand it, they have one chance and one chance only to fix it.

If paid with cash, reject with dealer. If financed, reject with finance company.

More here:

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/rejecting-a-car/

Post #370338 16th Apr 2019 9:00 pm
IanMetro

I bought my present Metro unseen by phone from a main dealer some 200 miles away.

I must admit it took a lot of trust in the dealer's word.

I made sure that it was a main LR dealer, with LR warranty, service history, and reassurance (and extra photos) from the salesman that it was unmarked and had no outstanding faults. I asked for a slightly early MOT and service (with report) and of course lots of emails as well as phone calls.

It was delivered to my home and my previous XS FL2 taken away in part exchange.

I was very lucky, and have had nearly 2 years fault free motoring.

If this purchase goes wrong, don't let it put you off searching the country for your perfect car, just be careful.

Good Luck again. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #370355 16th Apr 2019 11:28 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The LR Approved scheme is not always what it is cracked up to be from my experience. The warranty and LR Assist package are excellent, but the actual vehicle prep and sale is down to the individual dealers integrity.

My approved 4 year old Evoque bought from LR Chesterfield in 2016 had a lot of 'minor' things I picked up on inspection, which were promised to be rectified on collection. (seat wear, bonnet lettering missing, service, MOT )

on collection none of them had been done and the battle began. 7 months later (only about 3 months driving) after oil leaks, discovering bad serious accident repairs to the bodywork, a new PTU, gearbox and a knackered clutch I managed to force them to take the car back and exchange it. They still screwed all that up as well though as they let me drive away with no MOT !

Not all dealers will be the same but I will never touch LR Chesterfield/Farnell ever again, and others have said the same.

Post #370361 17th Apr 2019 7:49 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Good to know..... Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #370369 17th Apr 2019 9:47 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Keep the 19 plate RR for 29 days then reject your FL2..... Whistle

Post #370389 17th Apr 2019 12:39 pm
theglassman

Bought my 64 plate Metro at just over 2 yrs old, unseen, on eBay.... from a Ford Main Dealer 150 miles away!.
They answered all my questions wether by phone or email and said they’d refund immediately if it wasn’t as described. Of course, it had nearly a year of JLR Warranty on it too.
I spoke by phone to the first owner who verified everything the Dealer had said.
Absolutely no issues at all when I went to collect it (and they matched my local LR Dealers P/ex price for my 57 plate TD4). Drove it home a happy bunny.
Almost annoyingly (!!) I never got to use the LR Warranty, but there you go.
Two-and-bit years and 12k on, I still love it to bits. They’re truly the ultimate FL2 IMHO - can’t see myself changing it for some years. I really don’t like the new Disco range at all and I don’t do a big mileage nowadays as a retired old f**t. What I do do is towing, pulling trees out of rivers, fishing trips in remote places etc., so she doesn’t have an easy life even on only 5 or 6k pa.
If you find a good ‘un - go for it, you won’t regret it. Mine was £41k all-up when new and I paid £25k at 2 years old and 16k with complete LR history. That’s £1 a mile depreciation FFS!
Of course, not all folk are as straight as these guys, but I’m sure that you’ll be OK if you take the good advice already offered here Bow down Bow down . This forum really is an essential read for all FL2 owners Thumbs Up
All the best.

Click image to enlarge
 I've decided to stop being a good example and will now just be a terrible warning.....
2008 TD4HSE - gone but much loved.
2014MY SD4 Metropolis - very much loved.

Post #370409 17th Apr 2019 6:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>