« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Timing belt change
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
VCDS

United Kingdom 
Timing belt change

hi all, bought my freelander september 2016, all well until last april when i had to change the egr valve assembly including cooler as i kept getting the reduced performance message once the engine was warm.

since then i have had to remove the haldex and clean the pump and replace the filter, this has cured the traction reduced message.

anyhow its now done 90k ( 2012 model xs) and have decided not to risk the cambelt.

i have bought the kit including water pump and the locking kit and coolant, i am also going to replace the auxilary belt.

any how, looking at a few videos on the internet i see that bolts can be used to push the crankshaft sensor ring off the crankshaft rather than using a puller, does any one who has done the job recall the size of bolts needed to push it off the crankshaft, just trying to get everything ready before i start.

Post #370290 16th Apr 2019 11:33 am
JonMs

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I am collecting the parts i need to do the same job. My understanding is that it's a pair of M6 screws that are required. Anyone confirm?

Post #370333 16th Apr 2019 7:50 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I'm going to do this on Thursday and yes I have a pair of M6 bolts ready as I read somewhere that's it what you need. Thumbs Up FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #370339 16th Apr 2019 9:02 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I did this job last month. The CSR on mine didn't have bolt holes 2011MY. I got it off using two small screwdrivers in the inner slots. I was very careful not to touch the outer part. I also changed the Camshaft and Front Crankshaft oil seals since they are relatively cheap and it was open anyway.

Post #370360 17th Apr 2019 7:38 am
VCDS

United Kingdom 
re cambelt change

hi all, thanks for the input, bought the gates kit and a camshaft / crankshaft locking kit, going to do the job this weekend / bank holiday friday

i have ordered a new auxilary belt ands will change that if it arrives in time.

i will get a couple of m6 bolts

Post #370386 17th Apr 2019 12:03 pm
JonMs

Are you going to change the auxiliary belt tensioner? I can't decide whether it's worth doing or not.

Post #370388 17th Apr 2019 12:32 pm
VCDS

United Kingdom 
re cambelt change

hi, if its noisey when i look at it then yes

i was a bit Censored off with the car when the problem with the haldex appeared but now that its fixed ( oil and filter change did the trick ) i have decided to hang onto it and spend a bit on it.

Post #370390 17th Apr 2019 12:56 pm
VCDS

United Kingdom 
RE TIMING BELT

hi all, started to remove the timing belt and have spent at least 3 hours, removing starter, fitting the locking kit and finally removing the belt and the tensioner and pulley.
Difficult bits for me were -

Fitting the long locking bar that locates in the flywheel, the hole was full of corrosion and it too ages ( 45 mins) to gently tap the bar into the hole.
The locking took that locks onto the teeth of the fly wheel - no bolts were included ion the kit to attach it to the starter motor bolt holes in the casing - luckily i had some bolt and nut that o could use

the crankshaft bolt was really difficult to undo, even using a 600,, breaker bar , I was worried that the bolt was going to snap but I guess the force required was due to the locktite.

working on my drive way I have been going out when the sun has gone down as although its been a lovely weekend for relaxing on the beach or pub, its not much fun when your in full sun trying to remove a starter motor.

Anyhow, the belt etc is off now so tomorrow it should be back together again. The most difficult parts look to be the tensioner adjustment due to its location.

Post #370602 21st Apr 2019 6:36 pm
JonMs

Thank for the feedback on this. Very useful to know.

Post #370603 21st Apr 2019 6:41 pm
Pedro

I did this on Thursday. If it helps, I tensioned the belt with the pointer in the slot and did the full 10 revolutions etc procedure - pointer still in the slot. Did the extra 2 revolutions etc and pointer still in the slot !

The worst bit for me was the radiator drain plug - could not get anything at all to come out despite all the turning and wiggling I could do so just drained via the water pump drain - replenished about 5.5 litres of coolant so not the full amount but as good as I could do. Good luck tomorrow. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #370608 21st Apr 2019 7:29 pm
VCDS

United Kingdom 
re

hi pedro, still concerned about the adjuster, i have the instructions that came with the kit and when i refit on monday I will do as you have done, ie rotate the engine and check the tensioner

Did you have problems removing the camshaft bolt?

I removed the bottom hose to drain the fluid, mine is a 2012 car and i couldn't see a drain plug

my cambelt looks as new as does the pump and adjuster, the car is an ex company car sent to a local dealer as a px and i have the full service history (landrover) , i called the dealer that has serviced the car and they haven't changed the belt but i was surprised at its condition, but at least i know that it has been done.

just glad that the crankshaft bold didnt snap when i was removing it

Post #370614 21st Apr 2019 8:20 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

The tensioner is a bit of a pig.

I had to get help. Got a mate to hold the allen key from underneath whilst I tightened the tensioner bolt.

I used my torque multiplier to remove the crankshaft bolt. easy with this tool. Only used it on three cars but worth it's weight in gold.

Post #370620 21st Apr 2019 9:23 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

The pointer in the slot thing is interesting. A couple of years ago I replaced the belt on my wife's Peugeot 207 and lined up the pointer as per instructions. I rotated the engine several times etc and eventually had the nerve to start it up. All was well but a few days later, and after the car had covered about 50 miles, I whipped the timing cover off (it just clips on with that engine) and to my horror the pointer had moved. I assumed that it must be the belt stretching so after that I kept an eye on it and every time I looked it was in a different position either side of the notch. I did some research and apparently the belt tension depends on how the engine stops and the pointer is really just for the initial set up. Anyway I left it as it was and she did about 8k miles with no issues before she sold it. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #370639 22nd Apr 2019 9:26 am
Pedro

I didn't remove the 'camshaft' bolt ! If you meant the crankshaft, yes it was very tight due to the Threadlock and stays tight right until just before it came out.

I took the precaution of blowing out the Threadlock residue from inside the hole before I put the new bolt in. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #370652 22nd Apr 2019 10:05 am
Walenut

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

In the process of fitting a new timing belt. I noticed in the Gates instructions it says that an impact gun must not be used as it may damage the crank.

I was surprised at this as I know a lot of garages use impact guns to remove crank pulley bolts.

I also wondered what the difference was between an impact gun on the crank & the starter motor. It would seem to be a similar load via the fly wheel?

There’s no mention of this in the Haynes or Land Rover manual. Any thoughts?

Post #378075 9th Sep 2019 9:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>