Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre repair kits - views?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Tyre repair kits - views?

My wife's new Suzuki Swift has a spare wheel well but just the bottle of gunge and an inflator pump in it. The dealer suggested that I buy a spare on eBay as it's cheaper which I am considering. However I am not sure that my wife could physically change a tyre anyway as she has a back problem. Has anyone had experience of using the gunge kits? I have heard that it either doesn't work because the tyre is too damaged or that you need a new tyre anyway if you have used it. Any views? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #369672 5th Apr 2019 10:49 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As far as I know finding someone to repair a tyre with the gunk in is like looking for rocking horse poo.

Post #369679 5th Apr 2019 11:04 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I received a gunk tin and a compressor with our Outback . I sourced a spare from a crashed car . My problem with the gunk is that for it to work effectively on a repairable puncture the most effective way is to jack the car up anyway . There are also punctures it will not mend . The best thing to do in your case is , I think , buy a spare rim , stick on a decent cheap tyre , make sure there is a breakdown app with a locator on your wife’s phone . Get the recovery people to do the work for her . My wife would do the same if she was driving either car and had a puncture . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #369682 5th Apr 2019 11:51 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Get a full size spare. Someone will help change the wheel.

You can plug the tyre yourself, with 2 or 3 or more if necessary, & pump it up later. I have done it plenty of times in the outback. You have no other option! It's not that difficult.

https://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/...flat-tyres Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #369686 5th Apr 2019 1:21 pm
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

You could get a space saver spare for well under £100.....there was one for a Volvo XC70/90 on FB the other day (same size as FL2), brand new for I think £60, scissor jack and wheel brace from motor factors and your away.

The gunge only works on a few punctures, they have to be small, slow and not on the side wall or shoulder, and as above getting a tyre fitter to mend the tyre 0nce it’s been “gunged” can be a real problem. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #369692 5th Apr 2019 2:37 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Just make sure that the spare is the correct size. As stated above, AA or similar rescue will come and change the wheel for her. Another option is to buy a set of four wheels and put winter tyres on them. You can then carry one of the set as an emergency spare.
At least you have a wheel well! My DS doesn't even have that. Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #369695 5th Apr 2019 3:12 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

rac carry five stud universal wheels.you drive away with it and leave it at ats when yours is repaired there.

Post #369704 5th Apr 2019 7:57 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Yes just came across this. Only fits wheels with 5 holes though and no mention of wheel diameter issues which I would have thought would should flag up messages about traction control or ABS

3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #369727 6th Apr 2019 9:31 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Go for whatever option you had on her previous car as you were obviously ok with that as she had the car for a number of years as I remember. A spare wheel(full size or space saver) is probably the best option and not that expensive as there are plenty on Ebay. There way be a difference in diameter with a space saver but they are only intended for a very short distance so any small difference should not be an issue. When I was looking at getting a DS a few months ago a spare wheel was on my must have list.
My Freelander only came with a gunk kit but one of the first things I bought for it was a full size spare. Having said that I have used foam repair kits successfully when caught out with double punctures on a borrowed 4 wheel trailer a long way from home. I had to go to Halfords and buy 2 cans and sort out the tyres in the car park. They worked fine on a 200 mile trip home and the tyres were still inflated several months later as the owner had never bothered to get them fixed even although I had offered to pay for them!

Post #369730 6th Apr 2019 10:46 am
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The gunge has worked since last year in both my lawn mower front tyres.......not buying new tyres for it they cost the same as bl00dy car tyres! Laughing Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #369731 6th Apr 2019 10:55 am
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I’ve repaired tires with that crap in them, messy job but easy enough 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Post #369741 6th Apr 2019 1:33 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Yes just came across this. Only fits wheels with 5 holes though and no mention of wheel diameter issues which I would have thought would should flag up messages about traction control or ABS

What a great idea! Never heard of that before. Would hardly fit my Mini though, but being a 'proper' car it has its own spare! Whistle Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #369750 6th Apr 2019 5:15 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

some patrols also carry 4 stud,and yes warning lights may come up but will go out when new tyre is fitted after a restart. note ive just realised,these CANNOT be used on 4x4s,so like me get a spare alloy!!

Post #369762 6th Apr 2019 9:09 pm
3disco

United Kingdom 

I managed to buy a new wheel and tyre for my wife’s Suzuki Celerio on eBay for around £80 it’s full size so came in handy a few months ago when a blackthorn went through the side wall if I remember rightly it was a German tyre company and found the jack was cheaper to buy direct from the Suzuki dealer along with the fixing screw!

Post #369763 6th Apr 2019 9:46 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

sid wrote:
some patrols also carry 4 stud,and yes warning lights may come up but will go out when new tyre is fitted after a restart. note ive just realised,these CANNOT be used on 4x4s,so like me get a spare alloy!!

Why can’t these be used on a 4x4? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #369764 6th Apr 2019 10:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>