« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Thinking about it,,,,,,,,FL2 i6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Boxbrownie

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Thinking about it,,,,,,,,FL2 i6

We want a "lifeboat" vehicle, our main car is an i3 (EV) which does for us on all our local and not so local journeys, but having sold our FFRR'VSE recently we find ourselves feeling a bit vulnerable having new grandchildren hundreds of miles away (well out of EV range) so we are looking for something with easy ingress/egress, petrol, automatic and probably 4x4 (because they usually meet our criteria, and its useful on our daughters farm).

We had a FR before, in fact one of the FL1 facelifts from new and we know we "fit" so we have been looking at the FR2 i6 version, in my view less to go wrong with a seldom used petrol than diesel.

I'd just like to know any glaring pitfalls of th i6 version, I have searched but found nothing of note.

Not worried about fuel consumption, just reliability or not?

Sorry to ramble on but we have seen what looks like a nice one and need guidance.

Post #368576 17th Mar 2019 6:54 pm
chugga90

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Bloody great car and engine.

Had a 57 plate one for just over five years.
Only real trouble it had was a Censored main dealer whilst still on used warranty!

Only sold it as a brand new work van went very wrong and needed to buy something to use whilst it got sorted, so PX i6 for a high mileage D4 commercial which I still have.

Did around 45,000 miles in it and it was no trouble, had 67,000 miles on it when sold.

Great long distance cruiser.

Regret selling her.

Post #368577 17th Mar 2019 7:22 pm
Boxbrownie

That's very encouraging, thanks. Regards

David

Lovely i6 has now gone, but not me......

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #368578 17th Mar 2019 7:28 pm
RealBeale

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Pitfalls:
Cost of fuel. I've ranged from just 12 - 32 MPG.
Road Tax. £555 a year.
Pluses,
Smiles per gallon,
great off road,
quieter than a diesel,
great on long journeys.
I've even modified mine. to suit my needs. I've been driving Land Rovers for 25+ years, some have been modified to make them better off road, others returned to full Military spec if ex MOD. I've only ever sold my precious Landies to fund another. I've just sold my Lightweight that I've spent the last couple of years restoring as I've lost my parking space. Normally I'd be upset by this , but I just look outside at my i6 and all is well with the world.

Post #368589 17th Mar 2019 11:22 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Best car I've ever had, mine runs on LPG so not worried about the fuel cost, road tax makes the eyes water though, very quiet and smooth, lovey auto box, very comfy, I think there all HSE's so all the toys fitted, parts and maintenance costs are the same as any other modern Land Rover, owned mine for about three years now and really don't ever what anything else, the only thing I don't like is it's black and shows every mark/mud about 5mins after washing!

There aren't many about so don't expect many reply's from owners on here.

If you don't mind the fuel and tax costs then go for it. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #368602 18th Mar 2019 4:45 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

If you want a car with a longer range just for the odd journey to visit your family why not hire. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #368610 18th Mar 2019 9:53 am
Boxbrownie

Having just come from the FL2's big, big brother the running costs can only be less, fuel consumption and tax will be the same but any "off the road" costs must be less, having said that the FFRR was very reliable.......shocking I know Laughing

I hope if we go ahead and find a decent FL2 (the race is between this and a RX350) all will be well with the world Rolling with laughter Regards

David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you, as I may wish to offend you again......

Post #368611 18th Mar 2019 9:56 am
Boxbrownie

Yorky Bob wrote:
If you want a car with a longer range just for the odd journey to visit your family why not hire.

We thought about this very carefully before we bought the FFRR.....and TBH looking at the cost of hiring maybe half a dozen times a year (or more) for a week each time and the cost of hiring shocked us, in fact it actually works out cheaper ( just) covering depreciation, RFL and insurance by buying a relatively cheap runaround, of course the actual convenience of having something ready and waiting is massive, and when I rang two of the local well known hire companies down here the answer to "how soon can you have the car ready" was often " well we will have to get one transferred from our main office and it could take a few days" which is absolutely no good to us when we suddenly get a phone call asking for help at short notice. Regards

David

Post #368613 18th Mar 2019 10:06 am
Boxbrownie

PF56 HHY

This is the one we are thinking about, has exactly what we need/want, I hope including the link here is allowed? I just wondered if anyone here knows it, or any judgements upon it?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1

Only think that put me off was the dealer was a bit off when asked about any paperwork included with service book (no bills or receipts at all) and he was typical "don't seem to care attitude". Regards

David

Post #368631 18th Mar 2019 6:18 pm
p_gill

United States 2008 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Let me start by saying that I love my 3.2

In fact I love it so much that I got my Son a Volvo S80 with the same 3.2.

As with any vehicle things wear out and they should be replaced.

The Freelander 2 has a lot of different fluids and filters that should be changed over time.

And as the miles get higher the spark plugs and serpentine belt (and pulleys).

The only real weak point is the Thermostat, it seems to fail at 10 years or so and to get to it the intake manifold needs to come out.

I have written a post about all of the high mileage maintenance items and repair items to think about as you get over 10 years and over 100,000 miles.

Before you go to the Dark side and buy a product from the Evil Toyota Empire let me share a story.

My neighbor drives a Toyota Pickup (you would call it a Hilux its called a Tacoma here)

His truck is >100,000 miles and a 2006 model year

Check engine light is on

P0420 Catalyst not operating properly

Full disclosure: He knows nothing about cars

I search the Evil Toyota Empire boards - nothing useful

Based on what Volvo did for the 3.2 and 3.0T I decided to try Denso Iridium TT plugs in his Toyota

I reset the MIL and he drove his truck for a week.

No more MIL and he passed the state required emissions check.

Maybe I should join the Toyota boards and let them know what I did.

No chance of that happening.

If they wanted my help they should have bought something interesting like a Land Rover.

Good luck with your decision

Paul

2008 LR2 117,000 miles - owned since new and I not selling (full stop)

Land Rover - Proudly turning owners into mechanics since 1948

Last edited by p_gill on 18th Mar 2019 6:40 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #368633 18th Mar 2019 6:25 pm
p_gill

Re: PF56 HHY

Boxbrownie wrote:
This is the one we are thinking about, has exactly what we need/want, I hope including the link here is allowed? I just wondered if anyone here knows it, or any judgements upon it?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ad...amp;page=1

Only think that put me off was the dealer was a bit off when asked about any paperwork included with service book (no bills or receipts at all) and he was typical "don't seem to care attitude".

Very nice Thumbs Up

Post #368635 18th Mar 2019 6:40 pm
p_gill

The only thing I don't like is

2 Good year Wrangler tires

2 Pirelli Scorpion Verde

I do prefer to run four of the same tires

Let us know if you get it

Take care

Paul

Post #368637 18th Mar 2019 6:46 pm
Boxbrownie

Yes I noticed the tyres, but to be fair they are all premium makes and on paired axles so just normal replacements, hell's bells they could have been Chinese Ditchfinders!

As for the Iridium Plugs......same as fitted to the RX350 in fact, so maybe Volvo learnt something....chicken and egg? Laughing

It does look a lovely vehicle, my biggest bugbear is no history from the last couple of years which are the critical ones, all fluid changes and belts etc, no evidence of that apparently. Regards

David

Post #368639 18th Mar 2019 7:06 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Nice i6, good colour outside don't like the light seats etc inside, will show to many marks, no towbar that's good, I would take the sidesteps off personally, listing says full service history, it is possible to check I don't know how but somebody on here will, never failed an MOT, few advisories, average price. well worth a look although it's a long way from you.

Paul is our font of i6 knowledge Laughing he goes for replace before it breaks I go for wait until it wears out, both have for and against, if you need info ask him as he has helped lots of people, worth looking back at his posts. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #368643 18th Mar 2019 8:50 pm
p_gill

Axel,

I appreciate the compliment.

And I will admit for my vehicle I don't want to tow it ever so I replace things before they break.

If fact if there is a pattern of failure for a particular part I will replace mine proactively for anything that cost less than $100.

Why? Two reasons.

1 - The dealership charges that much to just look at my vehicle and tell me that its broken

2 - My wife has a very disposable mentality (newer is better) when my used Land Rover is more dependable then her new lesser brand then I can keep the Land Rover (Honey we should just keep the Land Rover, it always starts and its so dependable)

Take care

Paul

Post #368645 18th Mar 2019 9:11 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>