Home > Off Topic > A Hunk of Planet Dissolves Before Our Eyes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
A Hunk of Planet Dissolves Before Our Eyes

As they say - Awesome!
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2014/01/...e-our-eyes 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #217395 19th Feb 2014 8:21 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Shocked

Day After Tomorrow scenario (underlying theory at least). So much melting ice that the fresh water dumps into the oceans and it reaches a critical desalination point which shuts down the North Atlantic current. Couple that with the fact we have just passed the solar maximum (which was very low) and are now heading towards possible maunder minimum state and you have a recipe for pretty cold winters soon. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #217403 19th Feb 2014 8:54 pm
rjc1944

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Let me get this straight.

Scientists say the because of global warming we're all going too die because of the effects of the heat.

Scientists say that because of the sun's cyclical nature we're all going to die because of the effects of the cold.

Don't forget that not too long ago scientists said that the earth is flat.

A little later (geologically speaking, of course) they said no-one could travel faster than about 60mph or we'd all die.

Then they said that the atom is the smallest particle possible.

I'd take a lot more notice if, even once, they said "We're not sure". Or even (shock, horror) "We don't know". Ours - 2008 Stornoway Grey HSE Auto
Tricia's - 2006 Royal Blue Beetle Cabriolet Auto
Mine - 2014 Vespa GTS 300 Super Sport Matt Black
Ours - 2007 White Bailey Pageant Champagne

Post #217420 19th Feb 2014 11:03 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

The thing is, the Earth went through floods, ice ages, heat wave and so on way before we turned up. Global warming enthusiasts can run along Rolling Eyes

As Jeff Goldblum said in Jurassic Park "Life finds a way" LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #217421 19th Feb 2014 11:09 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I too am not so sure about "Global Warming", however "Climate Change" is fact and is noticeably happening now. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #217433 20th Feb 2014 8:53 am
digger

2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The Doctor wrote:
Shocked

Day After Tomorrow scenario (underlying theory at least). So much melting ice that the fresh water dumps into the oceans and it reaches a critical desalination point which shuts down the North Atlantic current. Couple that with the fact we have just passed the solar maximum (which was very low) and are now heading towards possible maunder minimum state and you have a recipe for pretty cold winters soon.

pretty cold winters....lovely! lots of snow....freezing conditions....ideal for freelander!

Post #218023 26th Feb 2014 11:52 am
digger

rjc1944 wrote:
Let me get this straight.

Scientists say the because of global warming we're all going too die because of the effects of the heat.

Scientists say that because of the sun's cyclical nature we're all going to die because of the effects of the cold.

Don't forget that not too long ago scientists said that the earth is flat.

A little later (geologically speaking, of course) they said no-one could travel faster than about 60mph or we'd all die.

Then they said that the atom is the smallest particle possible.

I'd take a lot more notice if, even once, they said "We're not sure". Or even (shock, horror) "We don't know".

And how would they justify all those massive government grants for research into climate change if they said, " we don't know"?
its become a self fulfilling industry, everyone depends on money to keep their research going, so its highly unlikley any of them will admit to the possibility that climate change is not due to human activity, but is just what happens over long term(in human life terms) on a rock that is spinning around its vertical axis with some periodiciyt of wobble at 6000 mph around a star that is prone to hotspots every so often?
was it only 10000 years since the last ice age? seems just like yesterday!

Post #368250 11th Mar 2019 8:15 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Sex is the problem associated with medical breakthroughs. Far too many on the planet to keep it in balance. Why would I want the be reincarnated. ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘งโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธโšฐ๏ธ FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #368251 11th Mar 2019 8:40 pm
digger

re-incarnation....I would specify a long lived tree, Oak, just to be around in 1000 years and help the planet breathe!

Post #368253 11th Mar 2019 10:09 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

NEWSFLASH: The world has been getting warmer since the end of the last ice age. In other news, bears are found to Censored in the woods and the Pope is revealed as Catholic. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #368260 12th Mar 2019 7:47 am
digger

Wink

Post #368263 12th Mar 2019 9:19 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Steve D wrote:
NEWSFLASH: The world has been getting warmer since the end of the last ice age. In other news, bears are found to Censored in the woods and the Pope is revealed as Catholic.

but have you ever actually seen a bear Censored in the woods? and if a tree falls over in a forest and nobody is there to see it then who shouts timber ? Whistle

I do love it when people say we are destroying the planet, are they really so conceited to think that we have the power to destroy Earth ???.... yes we influence the conditions but we will never destroy the planet, merely alter the environment which nature will adjust the way it always has done.

Now .... back to my flat earth theory Thumbs Up

Post #368266 12th Mar 2019 9:43 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

As an ex research scientist I have some sympathy with the evidence that things are changing however the whole climate change industry has become a bandwagon where careers have been built on the premise that climate change is real and you can't get research grants for anything that goes against the flow. My son is a PhD geology student at present and he finds that it's impossible to have any sort of debate without being labelled a climate change denier" .
I go along with the view that reducing CO2 and Methane emissions can't be a bad thing but I do worry about statements like the earth has warmed up 0.x degrees since pre industrial times when we haven't had really accurate satellite sensing technology for more than a few decades back and the further back you go the less accurate (and fewer) measurements could have been taken. Oh one last thing what about the "Little Ice Age" in the 17th century when the Thames used to freeze over every year? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #368267 12th Mar 2019 9:44 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

RogB wrote:

Now .... back to my flat earth theory Thumbs Up

By the way I hear that the Flat Earth Society is going Global. Very Happy 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #368270 12th Mar 2019 9:46 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

''By the way I hear that the Flat Earth Society is going Global. Very Happy ''

I cancelled my membership to that as they kept round and round the same topic

Climate change is real, and we as a race can reduce CO2 and other gases, but times change. Prehistoric, Jurassic, Ice Age etc etc. were all major long term events that changed the face of the earth. Humans are just contributing to the current ongoing change but unless ALL nations globally do something about to reduce our impact then there is little point in a token effort form a handful.

Post #368272 12th Mar 2019 9:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>