« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > In Car Electronics > Setting route into satnav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
Setting route into satnav

The satnav generally throws out three routes to a given destination. Is there any way I can input an alternate route? We're heading into France at the weekend and the given routes pretty much take me through Paris whereas I'm looking at going via Rouen and Chartres. Can I input those manually, or is it simply a case of heading off the given route and letting the satnav recalibrate the route as we go?
I'm pretty happy with my route without too much reliance on the satnav, just feel it would be handy having a route set, in case we need to detour for any reason
Thanks

Post #368014 7th Mar 2019 9:31 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

It will involve adding waypoints to your journey. When you have plumbed in your final destination, hit "add waypoint" and put in the town that you wish to stop at first, then again etc etc until you are satisfied, then hit go. It will do the rest for you 👍

Post #368016 7th Mar 2019 9:46 pm
Sidthecat

Thanks will try that tomorrow; thought waypoints might feature somewhere

Post #368020 7th Mar 2019 10:08 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Southam is correct, add a waypoint. Coincidentally I often use the same route you are planning on my way to Spain via Chartres and Orlean. The only other thing I would add is when selecting a waypoint, try zooming in on the map and select an exact point on the actual road you plan to travel; that way you will drive through the waypoint and the voice won't bother you any further. If you use a waypoint at say a village centre close to your route but which you don't actually drive through, then the voice and direction will pester you to return and drive through the waypoint unless you then manually erase it.

Post #368060 8th Mar 2019 4:01 pm
Sidthecat

Gave it a go earlier today, inputting waypoints and it worked, thanks guys. Had already set up the route before seeing your post Paul, so it looks as if we'll be pestered by Satnav Lady. Guess we'll mute her

Post #368081 8th Mar 2019 9:35 pm
Paul4751

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Alaska White

Sid
You may be interested to know that I often use the route Rouen to Orlean to start the journey to Spain, using the N154 via Evreux, Dreux, and Chartres.
I have two permanent locations memorized on the satnav; An "avoid" point at Nonancourt; and a Waypoint on the N154 immediately west of the ring road at Dreux.
The waypoint is to overcome the problem you have about being only directed to Paris; the waypoint forces the directions down the N154. I also have another waypoint at Chartres for the same reason.
The avoid point (a square of selectable area) gets me round Nonancourt which is a bottleneck of lights, roundabouts, and single carriageways and can cause a 20 min holdup of traffic jams. The alternative route is very rural and pretty and returns to the N154 at my permanent waypoint west of Dreux.
I leave the N154 to join the A10 about 20 miles north of Orlean.
Hope that's of interest.

Click image to enlarge

Post #368168 10th Mar 2019 2:33 pm
Sidthecat

Arrived in Orléans yesterday afternoon, using waypoints as markers en route for the first time. Seemed to send us on a bit of a circuit in Rouen, probably as I’d not set any specific location and it pointed us towards city centre Confused Approaching Chartres we followed road signs rather than satnav waypoint and she persisted in trying to turn us around for probably 5 miles until we deleted the waypoint Laughing I assumed having gone so far past it would have recalibrated, clearly not. All part of the learning curve.
Will continue on tomorrow without Wink

Post #368177 10th Mar 2019 4:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1