Home > General > MOT Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
MOT Failure

Sad

Garage has phoned to say they are failing the FL2 on the front tyres. They are Crossclimates that have done 24,000 miles.

I looked at them last week and could see some wear on the outside edge and came to the conclusion they would just about pass and I would fit 4 new tyres say in late summer. I suspect the new suspension fitted recently has thrown the tracking.

Turned down the offer of the MOT spot fitting 2 tyres as I want 4WD alignment doing and even many big tyre shops do not have it never mind the local garage. So in the end I have 4 new Crossclimates on order to be fitted this Saturday with 4WD tracking and then it will be a free re-test early next week. ATS are doing the tyres at £135 each and £60 for tracking (and I suspect it will be out).

I was tempted to go for a cheaper tyre but my previous Wranglers only got to about 25K and that was without the suspension being thrown about. The Crossclimateds do stop well in the rain and its not worth saving a few quid. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367742 4th Mar 2019 4:07 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

I had tyres that were just about legal for an mot and I got a call saying two had failed, not because they were low on tread, but due to cuts in the tyres Shocked

Post #367744 4th Mar 2019 4:30 pm
Yorky Bob

Yes I would worry about that in the likes of Kwik Rip off. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367745 4th Mar 2019 4:32 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I’ve just booked my wife’s car in for an M.O.T. , and the big service with cam belt and pump . Later in the month I’m going to make the trek to the place you found in Doncaster , Bob ( I think it was you anyway ) The guy on the phone was very helpful and his price for service and pump , belt , etc was one of the most competitive I’ve seen at £420 . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #367746 4th Mar 2019 4:54 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Tyres can be completely bald on both outer edges and still pass the MOT. It’s the middle 75% that count. Sometimes less as it’s only the main channels, the ones with the tread wear indicators in (not the sipes) that count. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #367749 4th Mar 2019 5:08 pm
Yorky Bob

Thanks Steve. I am with you on that hence I put it in today and as I will remove it for the tyres doing at ATS I will get my tool out Embarassed the one with the pointy bit and MM scale Laughing

Not quite sure of how the new MOT works on a failure like a tyre as a) its still got a nearly 3 weeks of test left as of this morning and b) you then need to drive it elsewhere for work doing. They have you over a barrel if its complete fail and not a advisory I suspect. I will need to drive it a few miles to ATS and if the road side van picks it up will it already be a car with no MOT ? Even though I am gong for tyres ? I will try and google that. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367751 4th Mar 2019 5:30 pm
Yorky Bob

MartynB wrote:
I’ve just booked my wife’s car in for an M.O.T. , and the big service with cam belt and pump . Later in the month I’m going to make the trek to the place you found in Doncaster , Bob ( I think it was you anyway ) The guy on the phone was very helpful and his price for service and pump , belt , etc was one of the most competitive I’ve seen at £420 .

Yes it was me - Maltings, take a good book as its in the sticks. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367752 4th Mar 2019 5:32 pm
Yorky Bob

DVLA and yes its MOT is valid but an argument re the tyres / road-worthiness could be interesting.

If they want a re-test fee I would be very disappointed as they can't do the tyre tracking with a 4WD system.

Taking your vehicle away for repairs
You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

have the failed defects fixed
a pre-arranged MOT test appointment
In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.
 FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367754 4th Mar 2019 5:38 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

The MOT is valid until it expires no matter what is wrong with the vehicle - even a subsequent failure cannot void it. You can however be nicked for driving a defective vehicle but unless it’s a really major and obvious defect, it’d be a pretty mean copper to go over your car with a fine-tooth comb. Under the new mot rules, you are not supposed to drive a 'dangerous' fail away from a test station (major and minor fails are okay though!) but no test centre wants cars sitting about on the premises at their risk and I don’t know of any test stations that have insisted that the vehicle remains on site. What about the stations that don’t carry out repairs? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #367792 4th Mar 2019 9:05 pm
ozjeff62

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Ipanema Sand

Don't know the rules there (obviously) but here you can drive a vehicle directly to a place of repair or inspection.

Just a useful bit of info. MY11 SD4 SE Auto

Post #367813 5th Mar 2019 1:02 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Steve D wrote:
The MOT is valid until it expires no matter what is wrong with the vehicle - even a subsequent failure cannot void it. You can however be nicked for driving a defective vehicle but unless it’s a really major and obvious defect, it’d be a pretty mean copper to go over your car with a fine-tooth comb. Under the new mot rules, you are not supposed to drive a 'dangerous' fail away from a test station (major and minor fails are okay though!) but no test centre wants cars sitting about on the premises at their risk and I don’t know of any test stations that have insisted that the vehicle remains on site. What about the stations that don’t carry out repairs?

there were some articles on line a couple of weeks ago regarding just this problem. Using the new rules, garages had failed several cars on MOT, and then told the owners that they couldn't drive the cars away so the work would have to be done by the garage. The bills had then been inflated and cost hundreds of pounds more than they should have.

the way I see it, even if a car does fail MOT, even as Steve says a major fail, then the car can be taken to any garage for repairs to be done, just cannot be legally driven on public highways. Nothing to stop you getting it towed/flatbed to another garage though.

Post #367824 5th Mar 2019 2:06 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Steve D wrote:
Tyres can be completely bald on both outer edges and still pass the MOT. It’s the middle 75% that count. Sometimes less as it’s only the main channels, the ones with the tread wear indicators in (not the sipes) that count.

Not sure about nowadays under the new testing manual but when I was a nominated tester the rule was the central 3/4 of the tread had to be 1.6 mm or more and the shoulders still had to show a visible tread pattern ?

If the shoulders were bald it would have been a fail. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #367858 5th Mar 2019 7:26 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Must have been a few years ago! From the manual:

Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #367862 5th Mar 2019 7:55 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

It was a while back I was tester Thumbs Up 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #367864 5th Mar 2019 8:12 pm
Yorky Bob

Got the car back and the bloke is a plonker as they are good enough to have passed the test with an advisory. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #367865 5th Mar 2019 8:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>