Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > How to take off handbrake handle on Freelander 2 2007 aut?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redfox

Denmark 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Izmir Blue
How to take off handbrake handle on Freelander 2 2007 aut?

Hello all,

I am replacing my gaiters as they have fallen completely apart.
Now in leather, not Land Rover plastic.

I did get the gear gaiter off, and the gaiter for the handbrake itself is easy, but I cannot see how the rubber/plastic handle on the handbrake comes off?
I cannot see any little tap un the underside nor anywhere else.
I've pulled forward, but it just moved like 2cm. No more.

Any ideas for the correct procedure?

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Last edited by Redfox on 13th Mar 2024 10:58 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #440025 11th Mar 2024 6:28 pm
Redfox

Right, so I have now studied all 3259 pages of the workshop manual, and there's no mention how to take off the hand brake handle.
I have also contacted two Land Rover dealerships and they said they have no idea.

A little tip or hint would surely be nice. If or when I find out, I'll write it here.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Post #440066 13th Mar 2024 10:14 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Found these in the "search" section Wink

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic29662.ht...ake+gaiter

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33612.ht...ake+gaiter
hope they help.
and you could post how you did it, to help others please. DAVE.
I.A.M. F1rst Driver.
Gone 2003 Discovery TD5 Auto,
Gone 1986 Defender 90 Station Wagon
Gone 1984 Range Rover 3.5 Vogue Manual.
Gone 1970 Series 11A/3 SWB 3.5 V8 Hybrid
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Van
Gone 1966 Series 11A SWB Van
Gone 1964 Series 11A LWB Station Wagon,

Post #440067 13th Mar 2024 11:13 am
Redfox

Job done.

So job is done.

And here's my method.

1/ Take a look at the original hand brake gaiter. It's made of very thin woven nylon and then covered in likewise thin black outer surface material. Over time these layers disintegrate and looks very unpleasant, to say the least.

2/ The method of my car, Freelander 2, 2007, i6 aut. is NOT to look for a little locking tab at the rear of the hand brake handle, as there is none. It is NOT necessary to take off the hand brake handle at all.
The small end opening of the handbrake gaiter is a bit elastic, so just pull it slightly, and release over the hand brake handle a bit.

As mentioned, this is on a 2007 model. Later facelifted models may vary. I've seen a picture of a handle that indeed had a locking tab on the handle rear, but as stated, I simply didn't need to remove at all.

3/ There's a thin plastic frame inside the wide end of the hand brake gaiter, that is glued on. The frame itself sits with a front tap, and three tabs each side. 3 are lifted, and the other 3 are pressed down slightly, to release the hand brake gaiter.
The gaiter is then lifted up at the rear end, followed by the front end. Careful so that no tabs are broken off. It is likely that one or maybe more are already broken off by time of a dreadful previous owner (dpo). Don't scream, it can still sit there.

4/ pull the whole gaiter off the hand brake and bring it indoor to better manipulate it.

5/ Looking at the underside of the gaiter, it is now clear, that the thin material glued on to the plastic frame can be carefully freed and lifted off of the plastic frame.

6/ Since the frame is some sort of pvc, I did not use anything to remove the last bit of glue remaining on to the frame. It actually helps the next new gluing process.

7/ Now take a look at he new real leather gaiter. I chose one from aforce auto in the UK and they also makes a whole variety of versions, thread colors and of course for the gear shifter as well (same problem as for the hand brake gaiter).
This real leather gaiter is made from a good quality leather and is pretty thick. It cannot sit on the frame and be installed. So we have to either sand it down along the edges or use a leather tool to thin out the leather along it's open side, to be thinner (the super sharp bent knife on the picture).
Tools, plus some cotton swabs to apply leather glue.

8/ After having made the new gaiter's edge thinner, apply with a cotton swab some leather glue. Not a thick layer - not needed. Apply similar on the plastic frame, but only one side. Wait a minute, and then apply the leather and install holding tools while glue dries.
It is easier if you start with the non-folded long side.
The leather is my case has some small cut outs and fits nicely. If there's too much leather say at the sewing ends, just thin the inside out a bit, without poking a hole of course.

9/ Repeat along the other long side of the plastic frame and move the clamps there as the glue on the first side is dry after ½ hour or so. This leather glue is not expensive and is really sticky/tacky. The period of being able to manipulate is just a few minutes. No more.

10/ Finally with a scissor, cut out a few small triangular bits of the leather that have to fold around corners of the plastic frame. Only on the non-visible inside of course.
Glue those last two short sides.

11/ Wait an hour or two and have a nice cup of tea while reading this forum, as the glue really sets.

12/ Reinstall by sliding over the whole cover on to the hand brake handle, insert the front edge first, then clip on the 3 bits on the side towards the drivers seat (away from the center console), then finally the last 3 on the opposite side. Those last 3 can be a bit annoying, so just be patient and don't manhandle anything, as all things plastic on Land Rover is VERY brittle.

Enjoy.

Repeat by taking off the gears shifter knob, it's frame (chrome bit) and take it apart and do the leather there as well.
Double enjoy.
Redfox

ps: I have absolutely no idea why I can only upload two or 3 pics. Anyone? I have take a few more shots for explanation.

Post #440096 14th Mar 2024 9:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1