Home > Wheels & Tyres > miles per tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black
miles per tyres

Hi all,
Just had my Ewok serviced and they have reported my front tyres are approx. 3.4mm depth on the front and 4.5mm on the rears.
The tyres were brand new when I got the car last July, and ive done 11500 miles since then.
The tyres were mid/budget brand, Compasil Smacher 235/55/19
That equates (if my primary school maths skills are correct) to approx. 2750 miles per mm of tread and and a rough lifespan of 16500 miles for them.

I remember getting close on 50000 miles on GG AT2 on both my FL1 so 16500 miles seems pretty poor to me, clearly a softer compound although not necessarily a close comparison.

what are peoples best suggestions for replacements tyres for long life/decent grip balance ? I don't go off roading (its an Ewok not a FL2 Laughing ) so its road biased all season tyres im after preferably on a budget of no more than £130-£140 per corner ?

TIA

Post #366256 12th Feb 2019 1:39 pm
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

For all their faults in terms of ride handling, I have only replaced my Conti Cross Contacts once since the vehicle was new, at approximately 40k. This was 4 years ago. I still have plenty of tread on the rears, fronts will probably need replacing before I put them back on for the summer this year, but I'm pleased with the mileage return rate to date.

As they are no longer available, I'm not sure what to replace them with this time round.

Post #366259 12th Feb 2019 1:43 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Whatever tyres you get in future rotating them is worth doing and if tyres are directional do not swap side to side. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #366263 12th Feb 2019 2:09 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Depends what you want from a tyre . If on balance you never go off-road , accept that we live in the U.K. not the Alps , and you will cope with winter using the cars capabilities without snow ratings etc , the Bridgestone Dueller HP Sport will give a very decent tyre life . ( I got over 30k miles on the scooby ) they are not directional so you can do diagonal swaps .

) if you want a bit more aggressive tread but still a good driving tyre , Pirelli Scorpion ATR aren’t bad , not silly money , I’ve got them on the FL2 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #366273 12th Feb 2019 4:27 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I found good year efficient grip poor, 22k miles. Changed to GG AT3 they should last a lot longer! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #366294 12th Feb 2019 7:06 pm
Kage

MartynB wrote:
Depends what you want from a tyre . If on balance you never go off-road , accept that we live in the U.K. not the Alps , and you will cope with winter using the cars capabilities without snow ratings etc , the Bridgestone Dueller HP Sport will give a very decent tyre life . ( I got over 30k miles on the scooby ) they are not directional so you can do diagonal

I had Bridgestone Duellers on a Mazda CX-7. Good grip but only about 20k. It was 260bph though.

Post #366298 12th Feb 2019 7:44 pm
RogB

I think the Duellers are standard fitment to Mazda as my brother has them on his CX-5

Im leaning towards Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season, don't need an AT tyre as much as I love the look of the GG AT3 and have good experience with AT2.

There is also Grabber GT but I cant find much useful info on its lifespan and day to day performance

Post #366322 13th Feb 2019 8:11 am
AJ918

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi

Looking at replacing my tyres with Goodyear Wangler HP all weather anyone had experiance of these, I am currently on Davanti but worn down to about 3mm and the front tyre outer edges are shot going to get it 4 wheel aligned (hunter 4 wheel alignment) when the new tyres fitted.

Post #366323 13th Feb 2019 9:09 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

RogB wrote:
I think the Duellers are standard fitment to Mazda as my brother has them on his CX-5

Im leaning towards Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season, don't need an AT tyre as much as I love the look of the GG AT3 and have good experience with AT2.

There is also Grabber GT but I cant find much useful info on its lifespan and day to day performance

The grabber at3 are great on the freelander, I don't really need an at tyre either most off roading I do is on a grass caravan site. I like the looks of them and they last really well. No significant noise or fuel economy penalty. I also had at2 and at on my disco 2.

Re the grabber gt, these are a great tyre also. We have those on my wife's VW tiguan. Second set, first set lasted about 40k miles again I'd recommend these. I have used grabbers exclusively for years and really can't fault them.

Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Last edited by Bobupndown on 13th Feb 2019 9:48 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #366328 13th Feb 2019 9:33 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

RogB wrote:

A lot of SUV vehicles which would previously have been fitted with an AT type tyre now get tyres like the Dueller for reasons of delivering a more economical car. I know Subaru usedto fit Geolanders in less green days . If you don’t habitually have a reason to take your car into the muck , buying an AT tyre is compromisising every aspect of tyre performance for no benefit over the road tyre IMHO . I like Pirelli tyres, they have a very good balance of price to quality. They don’t do a Verde Allseason in the Scooby size otherwise it would have been on my radar . I’ve lost around 1.5 mpg going from the Dueller to the Bridgestone A005 All Weather . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #366330 13th Feb 2019 9:47 am
RogB

I think AT tyres suit a FL2 as it looks like a proper old school off roader
AT on a standard Ewok may probably just look a bit stupid, I have no idea Confused

I do like Grabbers, the AT2's that I ive had in the past have performed well in all conditions and lasted extremely well, so ill have a deeper hunt for reviews on the Grabber GT's Thumbs Up

Post #366331 13th Feb 2019 10:01 am
BRD

England 

Have you seen this:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-...e-Test.htm

Post #366333 13th Feb 2019 10:28 am
RogB

I have now Laughing

cheers for that link, first glance proves interesting so ill read more in depth later Thumbs Up

Post #366334 13th Feb 2019 10:43 am
BRD

England 

There is loads of info on that site, some of the tests do contradict each other.

You could certainly be convinced reading the SUV All Season review that the GG AT3 is a terrible tyre in the wet - but there are plenty of folks who love them!

Post #366335 13th Feb 2019 10:48 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

I see that Goodyear Efficient Grips come out on top. I had them on my last Freelander. They were on it when I bought it and had loads of tread on them. When I sold it after 18 Months I had done over 22,000miles in it and did not notice any difference in tread depth although I never measured them at any time. I would have them again in a flash although others on here have had a lot less miles out of theirs! Big Cry

Post #366337 13th Feb 2019 11:00 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>