Home > General > Waxoil - Dinitrol
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Blackbird14

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue
Waxoil - Dinitrol

Hi,

I have been following the recent topics by Dorsetfreelander and Yorky Bob reference replacing their cars. My Freelander is coming up to 6 years old with 47,000 miles and used mainly for towing a caravan. I did consider changing the car for a DS but with all the ongoing discussions regarding diesels did consider a petrol but not sure how well it would tow and have therefore decided to keep my car for a few more years and will probably replace my wife's 2004 VW Passat instead.

I was wondering if there would be any benefit in having the Freelander treated with Waxoil or Dinitrol and wondered if any one on the Forum had experience of this and could give me any idea of prices and recommend a reliable place in the Stafford, Stoke, Derby area.

As always any help and assistance would be gratefully received.

Thanks Dave

Post #365844 7th Feb 2019 7:54 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I to would like to know, always wondered which is best, there's a guy who is on another Land Rover site who treats cars as his job, used to use waxoil but now changed to dinitol.

As to towing with a petrol I have the i6 with which I tow a twin axle van weighing in at 1500kg with no problems. and on lpg makes it slightly cheaper on fuel Very Happy but not road tax Shocked one like mine on ebay, love it's reg number.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Land-Rover...:rk:4:pf:0 Common sense isn't very common.

Post #365849 7th Feb 2019 8:27 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Dinitriol is the modern version of waxoil, I had mine Dinitroiled by Rustbuster, near Peterborough, about 6 years ago, some pics in this thread.

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic20685.html 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #365851 7th Feb 2019 8:36 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I had our car done by a place called Before and After which was somewhere in the midlands . It was about £500 3 years ago . He has a pretty powerful cleaning process , and then sprays the car ( with Waxoyl in my case ) . He lends you a vehicle and you scoot around during the day and pick you car up at close of business . I seem to remember all of the communication was by email as the guy has hearing problems . He is a character , and as a qualified internal safety auditor I winced at all the flammables around the farm he works from , but the end result was OK . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #365853 7th Feb 2019 8:49 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

If you are young enough and nimble, jack it up and do it yourself. A large can of Waxoil is not a lot money. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #365855 7th Feb 2019 8:54 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Modern cars are nowhere near the problem older ones are.

FL2 rust along the seams which I imagine spreads into their sills where condensation forms.

This was missed by a professional "waxoyler" because plastic trim was not removed.
https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/i.hubnu...9db1bd.jpg

Its very easy to spray a cleaned car underneath with Waxoyl etc, and make it look impressively protected but unless the seams are done and also inside the sills its a waste of time IMO.

Im doing mine this summer - Ive done a few cars over the years - mostly Defender and Discovery chassis -

Protective clothing , up on the ramps, remove any trim that is in the way, warm up the Waxoyl, air compressor and spray gun plus 360 nozzle on a length of tubing to get into the box sections. I do the messy box sections first. Jules

Post #365858 7th Feb 2019 9:11 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

That's mine which was done by Rustbuster, they do remove the wheel arch trims and liners, and get into the box sections but they do say they don't remove the lower door trims and sill trims which is disappointing but they are easy to do so I did those bits myself. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #365861 7th Feb 2019 9:36 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Back in the 70's , when I was a poor student, I used to paint the underside of my Morris Marina with old engine oil to try to keep the rust at bay. Then one weekend we had some visitors with a white Scottie dog who went under the car and came out a different colour. Laughing 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #365868 7th Feb 2019 10:24 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Regularly did my beloved Td5 Discovery with waxoil both inside and outside of chassis. I sold it at 14 years old with 165000 miles, chassis never welded and on an old D2 that was unusual. Bow down Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #365869 7th Feb 2019 10:36 pm
jules

shiggsy wrote:
That's mine which was done by Rustbuster, they do remove the wheel arch trims and liners, and get into the box sections but they do say they don't remove the lower door trims and sill trims which is disappointing but they are easy to do so I did those bits myself.

I took the liberty of using your pic as it was the only one I could find showing the seam; seems to be a weak spot on the FL2 - mine (2014) have gone rusty along the edge - hence my appointment with a can of Waxoyl in the summer. Cant say im looking forward to it - the stuff gets everywhere Jules

Post #365879 8th Feb 2019 12:13 am
jules

Bobupndown wrote:
Regularly did my beloved Td5 Discovery with waxoil both inside and outside of chassis. I sold it at 14 years old with 165000 miles, chassis never welded and on an old D2 that was unusual. Bow down

According to the DVLA website my old TD5 is still going after 19 yrs. I'd like to think the time I spent waxoyling the chassis etc has had a part to play in its longevity. Jules

Post #365880 8th Feb 2019 12:16 am
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Wash, de-rust and Waxoyl the subframes - friend's outwardly immaculate Freely 2 failed the Mot last year due to corrosion of the sub frames and the cost of new ones is horrific unless you can get replacements from a breaker.

Post #365884 8th Feb 2019 12:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Blackbird14

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

Thanks to all for your input and advise.

Dave

Post #365922 8th Feb 2019 5:49 pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

MartynB wrote:
I had our car done by a place called Before and After which was somewhere in the midlands . It was about £500 3 years ago . He has a pretty powerful cleaning process , and then sprays the car ( with Waxoyl in my case ) . He lends you a vehicle and you scoot around during the day and pick you car up at close of business . I seem to remember all of the communication was by email as the guy has hearing problems . He is a character , and as a qualified internal safety auditor I winced at all the flammables around the farm he works from , but the end result was OK .

I had my D2 done there... let's just say the process he used was not the one he describes on his website Whistle

Post #366565 16th Feb 2019 1:44 pm
WelshWayne21

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Hi Blackbird14

I used to work for a garage, we used to serviced sea fishery's land rovers and after 3 years they used to scrap them.

we started to fully wash them and waxoyl them after each year, them 10 years later and still going

Wayne

Post #366950 19th Feb 2019 9:51 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1