Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Time to Sell Your Dirty Car ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Re: Time to Sell Your Dirty Car ?

Yorky Bob wrote:
You won't go into London in a FL2 unless you have cash to burn:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46823729

Why no mention of diesel vans or HGVs ?- they are heavy polluters and unscrupulous fleet owners chip them to not have to add Adblue. Only part of the problem is being tackled.

Ive done 3 charity cycle rides to the HoP and the fumes from vans and lorries was awful, much worse than cars.

Unfortunately the UK government has been slow to introduce sensible anti-pollution measures and ways to stop people removing anti-pollution devices. Jules

Post #363841 15th Jan 2019 11:52 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

It’s important to not allow the perception that other groups “might be getting away with it” to stop all progress in clean air legislation. I’m annoyed that people blatantly discuss the removal of DPF’s and and AdBlue and the subsequent offence of driving them on the road, but I wouldn’t use it as an reason to stop other clean air legislation and besides, the law will eventually catch up with the users and especially the people who make a living out of getting their customers to break the law Evil or Very Mad

Post #363842 16th Jan 2019 6:39 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

I'm of the opinion that if politicians are genuine about clean air then the rules should be applied across the board, Euro 6 for all vehicles, no exception.
So yes it's time for a new fleet of buses and taxis, sorry if you can't afford it but you are killing people.
HGVs, vans and old cars (even nice ones) no exception either, come clean of pay a prohibitive amount that means regular trips into the clean zone are not viable.

By the way the DS is Euro 6 Very Happy
I live near Manchester and wouldn't come to London if you paid me. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #363928 17th Jan 2019 1:19 pm
Dartman the one

England 

An old boss of mine in the RN had a thought ( he always thought out of the box, impeded his career), there would not be enough renewable energy to support the worlds population or food production and power without destroying forestation that means that CO2 and pollution would increase to the point where the Earth would be uninhabitable.
His solution would be to build a large number of nuclear power stations whose sole purpose would be to power CO2 scrubbers, COH2 burners, electrostatic precipitators and electrolyzers to keep the atmosphere clean and replenish oxygen, now a few of them down Oxford Street and the North and South circular would remove the need for any high priced clean air zones unless of course to pay for the reactors to power the cleaning and recycling poor quality air. Whistle my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #363931 17th Jan 2019 1:54 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

If CO2 scrubbers etc. were placed at strategic sites it would take away the need for for high priced, or taxed, clean air zones so it will never happen unless an additional charge (tax) is introduced to pay for the CO2 scrubbers.

J

Post #364019 18th Jan 2019 10:01 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

One of the managers at my partners work place has suggested that anyone presently driving an older diesel should get shot sooner rather than later as they'll only plunge in value with time.
I'm presently working outside the ULEZ but fall just inside when the boundaries are extended in 2021. At present I'm hoping to retire shortly prior to that. When that happens I would hope to be able to move away from London.
Anyone any thoughts on what this guy has said? It's planted a seed in Significant Others mind . . . .

Post #370627 21st Apr 2019 9:38 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Can you still use a 2 stroke skateboard?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2+str...ORM=WRVORC Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #370630 21st Apr 2019 11:21 pm
Sidthecat

Sidthecat wrote:
One of the managers at my partners work place has suggested that anyone presently driving an older diesel should get shot sooner rather than later as they'll only plunge in value with time.
I'm presently working outside the ULEZ but fall just inside when the boundaries are extended in 2021. At present I'm hoping to retire shortly prior to that. When that happens I would hope to be able to move away from London.
Anyone any thoughts on what this guy has said? It's planted a seed in Significant Others mind . . . .

Apart from investing in a Lightwater skateboard Wink should I perhaps be thinking of getting shot of ours sooner rather than later. Presently I'm outside of the ULEZ for work and for social trips can travel inside the zone using public transport. Hopefully I'll have retired by the time the extended zone is brought in in 2021 although that would most likely affect me as far as social use goes.
Is it worth thinking about investing in say a used Disco that subject to age, would be ULEZ exempt right through into 2021 and beyond? If FL2 prices fall away and Disco prices rise, then that price differential is going to make any change financially difficult if not impossible. Other option is to leave LR altogether Sad

Post #370882 26th Apr 2019 11:17 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Might get shot down bigtime but here goes Smile

We seem to be listening to the rantings of a kid (Greta) that the UK is massaging the figures in our C02 output why is it always us? Are we now such an easy touch that any campaigners head straight for UK, anywhere else in EU and all that blocking bridges and roads would soon been sorted with water cannons.

How much difference will it make with what China, India, Russia not to mention good old Poland, Germany etc etc etc are pumping out to tax folk for trying to get to work Confused Just don't see it myself, sorry Crying or Very sad

Earth going through its historical changes, yes , being accelerated by man, yes, but do what you like to cars etc but until Earth's population stops growing changes will happen. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #370883 26th Apr 2019 11:41 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Thumbs Up

correct me if im wrong but which country has the biggest pollution? which country has the had the largest population boom? which country used to take in and burn a large amount of the worlds 'recyclable' waste ?..... China

the same country that most of the western business super powers put all their faith, investment and money into and Is now attempting to dominate the west in everything from cheap plastic toys and components all the way up to super technology and industry.

China has stuck a metaphorical 2 fingers up to anyone who has dared challenge them on anything and yet the west (seemingly UK in particular) bend over backwards to appease them and the climate they are polluting.

Post #370885 26th Apr 2019 12:45 pm
Sidthecat

Regardless of what's happening elsewhere in the world, the sad fact is Sadiq Khan has decided to penalise anyone that's in, or around, London that's driving a vehicle that doesn't fit into very tight parameters. I can't afford new, I don't want some PCP deal hence my wondering if it's worth thinking about a change to a compliant LR now rather than later?
Generally hacked off with the bloody ULEZ issue Censored
If I could retire before the 2021 deadline, I'd hope to be able to move away from the London area, but who's to say SK won't have friends elsewhere that see what an environmental 'money-spinner' this could be and bring in similar rules. Stuffed whichever you turn.

Post #370889 26th Apr 2019 2:10 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Instead of the stick of taxing every thing that moves, why don't they produce the carrot of FREE Park and Ride in all our cities.
Provide lots of Electric Buses large and small with a proper thought out set of Routes and ((Common Route) Hubs, and ban all vehicles from the centre during the daytime.

All this should be paid for by Local City Taxes and Rates.

This would be fair on people who live out in the smaller towns, villages, and countryside as it is more economic to allow them to drive around, and Park 'n Ride if they must go into the city.

Economic car sharing should then be made available to those City Folk who want to travel.

It's getting very complicated, perhaps we should just carry on tinkering around the edges of the problem with a few extra taxes.

No, come to think about it, there is no easy solution, apart from having a lot less people in the world. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #370900 26th Apr 2019 4:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12