« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Selling a used car Scam
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
Selling a used car Scam

Just making sure anyone selling a car privately is aware of this scam as my friend in Sussex has just been taken in by it.

He advertised his car for sale and was contacted by a Bulgarian mechanic who was very keen to come and view it. Two of them turned up and began to examine the car. whilst the bonnet was up the other one asked if he could see the spare wheel and tool kit was present, that took a minute or so and in the mean time the other person had closed the bonnet and wanted to start the test drive. Whilst out test driving the car started to smoke from the exhaust so they returned to the house and opened the bonnet. One of the potential buyers removed the header / expansion tank cap and pointed out to my friend that there was oil contamination in the coolant, walked to the back of the car and then pointed out there was oil dripping from the exhaust tail pipe ( they squirt this in before knocking at your door if they can and add the dirty oil to the coolant whilst your distracted) My friend found himself in a situation where he thought his car had major engine problems and was badgered in to accepting a much lower price for the car than he wanted or it was really worth.

Please tell anyone you know selling a car privately about this scam and share it via any means you can to stop these scumbags stealing from and deceiving, honest, hard working people like my friend who's only crime was to trust someone at face value. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #363772 15th Jan 2019 10:47 am
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

It’s not a new trick I’m afraid have to say you must be pretty naive to fall for that one,it may not be PC to say it but I would be wary of selling to most foreign people.

Post #363783 15th Jan 2019 11:53 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

yes I would agree, very naive indeed.

it's a different ball game these days, and trust has unfortunately went oot the windae !!

Iain

Post #363807 15th Jan 2019 6:08 pm
Largered

I have sold several Land Rovers to foreigners (some who live OUTSIDE the UK) without any problems.

I always ask for their passports and check details, then COPY and send this to the DVLA with change of Keeper V5.

Post #363817 15th Jan 2019 7:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1