Home > Technical > And yet another suspension question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bigduke

2010 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
And yet another suspension question

Hello all,
I have a light clunk noise from the back of my 2010 Frl2 when I hit a bump or depressed manhole cover. The car seems to shimmy a bit at the back as well. I have had to reduce my cornering speed on the back roads as the car does not feel as stable as before. I am thinking that it might be the rear shock absorbers that need replacing?
I have had a look below at the back and can't see anything obvious.
Any ideas?
Cheers

Post #363714 14th Jan 2019 3:19 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Could be a broken spring but a good independent garage will need to examine it if you are not savvy with more complex repairs as get changing a strut wrong and you could loose a part of your anatomy as the springs are under a lot of tension.

Did mine myself last August before a operation only because of a annoying shimmy with no knocking, its not a 2 minute job and paying for the front suspension to be done tomorrow to hopefully get rid of still having a slight shimmy that annoys me. I would hope to post soon if it made the difference back to tight new feeling that I am seeking. All that would be left to change then would be anti roll bar bushes in my case and it will get them as well at some point. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363722 14th Jan 2019 4:50 pm
Grue

New Zealand 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Sumatra Black

No sign of leak on rear shock? Mine started doing that a few months ago, including the shimmy, and got steadily worse. Eventually got to the point the leak was pretty obvious and now the clunking is a constant rattle. Replacing asap.

Post #363726 14th Jan 2019 5:30 pm
Bigduke

Thanks for the replies .
I checked the springs and they look ok.
I'm going to change the out both shock absorbers.
Cheers

Post #363741 14th Jan 2019 9:48 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

BigDuke pardon me if Im teaching you to suck eggs but do you know the rear shocks are not separate items like on other Landrovers because the FL2 uses Macpherson Struts at the rear as well as the front. "Changing the shocks" effectively means removing the whole strut and stripping it down to remove the spring assembly and upper mounting. Jules

Post #363748 15th Jan 2019 12:37 am
Bigduke

Yes, I'm aware of that.
Done plenty of struts in the past.
No worries.

Post #363763 15th Jan 2019 8:46 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Thumbs Up Jules

Post #363765 15th Jan 2019 9:08 am
JGH99

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Just a thought on this. It could also be one/both of the anti roll bar drop links. Would clunk over bumps and possibly give a loose drive.

Replaced both drop links recently after an advisory from MOT.

JGH99 Freelander 2 GS Stornoway Grey
Jan 2007 Bought 71,000 miles. Currently 149,300 miles.

Post #363766 15th Jan 2019 9:11 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

A couple of weeks ago I drove our Freelander . Exactly the same symptom . My wife , the cars daily drivers, said she could feel nothing different , ( which to me ,says it was a gradual failure rather than a “ bang “ it’s gone “ ) . There was no sign of any oil leak . To cut a long story short , I looked at the N/S rear strut yesterday after they had been replaced by the local garage , absolutely no restitance at all , totally shot .

Just a point , depending how badly corroded the the struts are etc and how old the car is , there is up to another £70 per side on mounts clamps buffers , etc that COULD , be needed . Probably, all won’t be needed , as was the case with our car , but given the cost of a garage or complexity of DIY , worth remembering 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #363849 16th Jan 2019 8:49 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

"I looked at the N/S rear strut yesterday after they had been replaced by the local garage , absolutely no restitance at all , totally shot . "

Eh? So the garage have not replaced it or if they have, the one they have fitted is faulty?

Edit: Ah, I get it, you looked at the one that had been removed, not the one that had been fitted! Embarassed Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #363861 16th Jan 2019 11:01 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Yes , I could have phrased it better Embarassed . When I followed my wife to the garage , I could definitely see there was an issue . On the floor waiting for me in the afternoon were the bits that had been taken off , the rod on the N/S damper could be moved with a single finger . We’re going to get the big service done, including flushing the autobox ( I’ll shop around a bit for that ) and I’m thinking of getting the brake hoses changed for Goodridge braided . We’ve spent a fair few bob on the car over the years , but in real terms even if I had to spend say 2 grand a year for ever it’s still keeps money in the bank v replacing given that it’s a 4K mile a year vehicle for us . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #363881 16th Jan 2019 4:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1