« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Another year of trouble free motoring
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
westville

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White
Another year of trouble free motoring

Well the FL2 sailed through her 3rd MOT with just an advisory that there was "very slight" wear on the front O/S track rod end.
So that marks a year of trouble free motoring for me with no unexpected motoring bills to face - just thought I'd post to balance out some of the horror stories we hear and put owning an FL2 into perspective.
I am starting to think about life after FL2 though as this is the longest I have kept any car I have owned and frankly I'm getting a bit bored and starting to look at the greener grass elsewhere - trouble is I'm only seeing weeds at the moment Whistle
Oh well onward and upward Thumbs Up No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

"Fiat Lux" a philosophy not a car

Post #340347 24th Jan 2018 11:01 am
EYorkshire

Had mine since new and in October it went through its second MOT with no advisories at 60,000 miles. Just normal servicing, tyres and brake discs/pads in that time. Thumbs Up
This is my third FL2 and the second new one, but am looking elsewhere as I don't like the 'Sport' but there is nothing much out there with a decent engine to go with it.

Post #340350 24th Jan 2018 11:25 am
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey
Re: Another year of trouble free motoring

westville wrote:
Well the FL2 sailed through her 3rd MOT with just an advisory that there was "very slight" wear on the front O/S track rod end.
So that marks a year of trouble free motoring for me with no unexpected motoring bills to face - just thought I'd post to balance out some of the horror stories we hear and put owning an FL2 into perspective.
I am starting to think about life after FL2 though as this is the longest I have kept any car I have owned and frankly I'm getting a bit bored and starting to look at the greener grass elsewhere - trouble is I'm only seeing weeds at the moment Whistle
Oh well onward and upward Thumbs Up

Glad yours has no trouble! Mine is the same year but had the haldex pump replaced @ 44 K miles, a window regulator and a passenger seat belt sensor recently. Thankfully these were done under warranty. How many miles have you done westville mine has done 64 K so far and same as you I've been looking for a replacement but the current climate about diesel and petrol doesn't encourage me to visit Land rover dealerships Rolling Eyes

Post #340357 24th Jan 2018 12:43 pm
jenks1950

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have mentioned this a few times already in previous posts, but mine is exactly 5 years old and 82k miles (bought as a "nearly new") and the only item that has failed has been a rear tailgate switch and loads of headlight bulbs!!. Other than that only service items

I did as a precautionary have the haldex serviced and changed the atf at 60k

I shall definitely keep it another 3 or 4 years. Does everything I want it to

Steve

Post #340363 24th Jan 2018 1:16 pm
westville

paxman wrote:

Glad yours has no trouble! Mine is the same year but had the haldex pump replaced @ 44 K miles, a window regulator and a passenger seat belt sensor recently. Thankfully these were done under warranty. How many miles have you done westville mine has done 64 K so far and same as you I've been looking for a replacement but the current climate about diesel and petrol doesn't encourage me to visit Land rover dealerships Rolling Eyes

Sorry omitted to say she has just clicked over on 50000 miles so relatively low mileage for her age - she has had a tough year this year with all sorts of landscaping and building cargoes (last week 10 x sleepers in the back) plus the Keilder safari earlier in the year - so not just a town car. No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

Post #340365 24th Jan 2018 1:26 pm
Largered

westville wrote:

I would disagree. Your vehicle HAS incurred 'trouble'. That "very slight" wear to the track rod end has happened during a period before the 3rd MOT. Whilst you may not replace the track rod end at the point of MOT, you must admit it needs replacement. Further I would replace BOTH track rod ends.

Post #340368 24th Jan 2018 1:52 pm
simong_uk

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

I thought I was doing well, just coming to four years old and 51K with absolutely no issues, and its been well used - continental trips, off-roading, camping, towing...

Until I had reduced performance and a whole christmas tree of lights on the dash on Sunday - been diagnosed as new Turbo required Shocked
Thank goodness for the extended warranty Laughing The only downside is driving a discovery sport for a week while they sort it out Cool 2000 Xei 1.8 gone
2004 HSE Td4 Auto, MT's, sump guard, sliderz - gone
2014 GS Man - AT's, Mantec Sump guard and tank guard, split charger in boot, towbar, work in progress...

Post #340369 24th Jan 2018 2:05 pm
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Just reached 3 years of trouble free motoring, not a squeak or rattle. Only warning message has been the odd low pressure from the TPMS.
No plans to change, love it more than I did when I bought it and always look forward to driving it! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #340372 24th Jan 2018 2:23 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

mine sailed through LR service at the beginning of September, it had new pad/discs all round and 4 new tyres in March when I bought it, and after 14500 miles there was hardly any wear on any of those and nothing was picked up on the service.
Its due its MOT in March this year, and the warranty is up in another years time. Since purchase ive had new door locks and seals and the heated windscreen is being checked out next month as its intermittently failing. Other than that its rattle free, squeak free and problem free.
However I will definitely re-evaluate things once the warranty is up next year, but I have no idea what to go for. I still like the Evoque but would want a petrol version (rare) and there is nothing else in the LR stable that suits my needs that I want or can afford.

Post #340375 24th Jan 2018 3:19 pm
Largered

"....... Other than that its rattle free, squeak free and problem free. ........"

That's down to FORD designing and building the vehicle, not LR.

Do you remember when BMW bought LR and they revamped the FL1 for MY 2000, it didn't look much different ........ but the quality was soooooooo much better.

Post #340391 24th Jan 2018 4:23 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I agree, although the car looked the same after 2000, BMW made a lot of changes to the FL1, engine, gearbox, rear axle ratios, wiring etc and it was a much improved car as a result. I had both versions. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #340392 24th Jan 2018 4:47 pm
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

Just passed my MOT (no.8 ) 75000 mile no advisory's, just a comment that the front pads are at about 60%.

Now due 10 year service and glow plugs.

Richard. FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #340396 24th Jan 2018 5:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rnlisg

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

westville wrote:

oooer,is it not tempting fate saying how well the car is going!! Shocked Whistle
cos you know the bloody thing has ears and will bite you Big Cry gone
P38 v8 auto no problems,great howle from exhausts when giving it welly
Td5 auto head gasket,no5 pot not uncommon but good car.
1st Tdv6s manual epb problem fixed under warranty(stealer said"never heard of this before,i suggested he looked at d3 forum.
2nd Tdv6 se auto epb
3rd Tdv6 xs auto 2008,swmbo,s favourite.

Post #340611 27th Jan 2018 3:17 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red
MOT Today

The Red Peril sailed through its third MOT today at 61,000 miles. Thumbs Up

Had the EGR not gone about this time last year I would be extremely happy with my years motoring otherwise.

Guess its time to stop looking for a change now and see what the new Defender rolls out like by this time next year. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #343372 26th Feb 2018 11:20 am
westville

Good news
l'm starting to look round for a change of car but so far nothing is striking a chord Shocked No Longer the owner of a 2013MY Fuji White GS

Post #343398 26th Feb 2018 4:42 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>