« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > JLR redundancies
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
JLR redundancies

https://news.sky.com/story/jaguar-land-rov...s-11603631 LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #363456 10th Jan 2019 2:10 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Stupidly overpriced cars, with issues not been fixed by LR (crankshaft of RRS etc) will result in less sales with inturn leads to savings been needed

The doom and gloom of brixit has a tiny place on the scoreboard too Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #363471 10th Jan 2019 6:25 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I’ve never known any car manufacturer where their customers are so willing to give it a good kicking at every opportunity. I’ve driven between 35,000 - 40,000 miles a year, in a huge variety of cars, back to when I started work in 1985. Of the 6 Land Rovers that I’ve owned since 2011 they may not have been trouble free, but I’ve never owned anything that was more reliable (and a lot that was a lot worse), while their customer support has generally been very good (with only two real problems in 7 1/2 years and nearly 300,000 miles).

This is bad news for a lot of reasons and I’m still proud of the fact that (for the minute) we still have a global and world class car design and manufacturing company based in the UK.

Post #363476 10th Jan 2019 7:36 pm
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

As a passionate brand supporter and loyal Jag/Landie customer over decades I have to accept that in the same decades Land Rover have made cars with the worst reliability and highest costs of ownership statistics across a wide range of independent surveys which has been well documented in all the major markets. I don't see how that can be ignored. Under the current leadership, the Land Rover brand has been debased by idiotic premium brand posturing and headlong rush to volume sales without commensurate attention to justify the premium price tags with quality engineering. Instead of making better cars that people want to buy, the firm has tried to change the customers and not only driven away from markets sectors where the brand once dominated but has abandoned the core values which once underpinned the badge and the entire range. In the most recent years the quality of too many of the products has been dismal with the customers doing the product testing. Customers are not all stupid all of the time and are sensibly buying better vehicles which suit their needs rather than the wet dreams of JLR marketing consultants. The JLR workforce are paying the price for rotten strategic direction and I think I know where there needs to be sackings...….

Post #363485 11th Jan 2019 1:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 

If that involves getting rid of McGovern, then I’m all for that Thumbs Up

There’s only so much that the rest of the company can do to workaround his shortcomings Sad

Post #363486 11th Jan 2019 5:32 am
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

I pretty much agree with Tradewind 35.
In Australia JLR sales went backwards in 2018 whilst Volvo increase by 46%, won “SUV of the year” etc where JLR didn’t rate. I think that pretty much says it all.
I’ve never desired an Evoque, don’t mind the latest at least it’s design is a little more resolved and when your design brief is bigger or smaller versions then eventually all the “fashionistas” will change to the “next best thing”.
JLR’s predicament is just a consequence of marketing to the fickle buyer.
My Freelander 2 is/has been an absolute gem but I do not even contemplate changing it until JLR do a big turnaround and
dealer attitude pull their heads out of the tailpipe!
Don’t get your hopes up with the Defender either! MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #363487 11th Jan 2019 6:27 am
mcsimmo

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue

Quote:
As a passionate brand supporter and loyal Jag/Landie customer over decades I have to accept that in the same decades Land Rover have made cars with the worst reliability and highest costs of ownership statistics across a wide range of independent surveys which has been well documented in all the major markets. I don't see how that can be ignored. Under the current leadership, the Land Rover brand has been debased by idiotic premium brand posturing and headlong rush to volume sales without commensurate attention to justify the premium price tags with quality engineering. Instead of making better cars that people want to buy, the firm has tried to change the customers and not only driven away from markets sectors where the brand once dominated but has abandoned the core values which once underpinned the badge and the entire range. In the most recent years the quality of too many of the products has been dismal with the customers doing the product testing. Customers are not all stupid all of the time and are sensibly buying better vehicles which suit their needs rather than the wet dreams of JLR marketing consultants. The JLR workforce are paying the price for rotten strategic direction and I think I know where there needs to be sackings...….

Spot on. Plus the huge reliance on the Chinese market, which was never going to last, and the shambles with not replacing the Defender before now is another lost market. Updated- Waiting for a Scotland v England 6 Nations home win. 24th Feb 2018
Gone-1972 88 SWB Soft top
Gone-1981 24v FFR Lightweight
Gone-2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS manual
Gone before it bankrupted me- 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto

Post #363490 11th Jan 2019 8:54 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Tradewind 35 wrote:

Excellent Post , very well put . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #363491 11th Jan 2019 8:58 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Tradewind 35 wrote:

I am interested in where you think the sackings should be.
Please don't stop there, give us your visions of the future, you never know JLR might be reading this forum. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #363492 11th Jan 2019 10:00 am
Largered

I have been a loyal customer of LR for over 30yrs.

Many of the above posts harp back to the LR company that has supplied mine and 'your' previous vehicles.

Times have changed, and will change again. The market is in a different place. The world is in a different place and so should JLR.

JLR needs to move forward ......... not backwards !

Post #363494 11th Jan 2019 10:11 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The cars that LR/RR currently produce, whilst not everyones cup of tea, are at least distinctive. You can instantly tell its a LR/RR even if you cant tell which particular model it is.
When you look at the alternatives.... Renault Kadjar is the same as the Nissan Quashqai... Hyundai Tucsan looks the same as the Mazda CX6 etc etc.
There are couple that stand out, the Kia Sportage and Sorento for example that have their own identity but most of the LR/RR alternatives tend to look the same as other manufacturers.

JLR have been trying to move with the times and the market demands whilst keeping their own identity, and they have achieved this.
IMO where they have fallen down is the price bracket they have placed themselves in (higher than many alternatives) whilst aiming for the premium market, but they fall well short on their recent reliability and efficiency (crankshafts on 3.0 engines, oil dilution, emissions, economy) as well as their build quality.
Basically the higher price isn't justified by their reliability.

Having said all that I love the brand, and im hoping to keep my current 2011 Ewok for another 2.5 years when I will look at either another Ewok, a DS, an F Pace or an E Pace. My problem will be in finding petrol version of one of those.

Post #363495 11th Jan 2019 10:26 am
j77

Scotland 

I’ve loved LR since I was knee high to a grasshopper, as soon as I could afford one that’s I bought. I’m now on my 10th but sadly I really can’t see me having an 11th. The prices are getting far too high and the product quality is laughable, my D5 constantly had early service warnings but according to LR there’s no fault with the car it’s all down to how I drive it, strange my D4 never required any special driving techniques.

Now the Velar, great car to look at and drive BUT the software is a complete and utter joke, mines had update after update, now a year old it’s needing another update that apparently doesn’t exist even though many owners have it and I’m sitting looking at the release notes for it. Through out the year it’s had, a new shock absorber, 2 new headlights and EGR issue, it’s not what I expected of a £60k car and LR couldn’t give a toss. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #363503 11th Jan 2019 11:45 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

My brothers MY17 HSE Lux Disco Sport was a shade over £51k OTR new. It's now 22 months old and has been valued (CAP) at £28k. It has also visited the dealers 11 times since November 2017, for software after software issues that they just cannot put right. Mechanically, apart from repeatedly corroding brake discs it hasn't missed a beat, but nearly every other month there is an electrical issue of some sort or other

All that it proves to me is that there is nothing whatsoever from the current stable to replace the Freelander that catches my eye, so I will run it at whatever cost until it literally falls apart. There are plenty of 57 - 60 plates trundling around this Town seemingly immune to the faults that modern day Land Rovers are having, which is reassuring from my point of view.

Perhaps Land Rover no longer encourage "long-term ownership", as was their statement as recently as 5 years ago, and want everyone to throw away and recycle their modern vehicle every three years to keep the company afloat?

Not for me, thank you very much!

Post #363504 11th Jan 2019 12:38 pm
j77

Scotland 

There is a place reserved in hell for the man that developed that software Twisted Evil

And it is a man because the system is incapable of multitasking without having a melt down Laughing 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #363511 11th Jan 2019 2:23 pm
Vanny

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Unhappy engineers make poor quality design. The best manufacturing plants can only do so much with a poor design. And the customers bare the brunt.

An amount of JLRs perceived financial problems are as a result of putting so much money into up front engineering which isn't in saleable cars, they'll be okay in the future but only if they have any staff left and manage to get on top of the quality.

I don't miss working for JLR, although I do miss working on the LR products.

Post #363526 11th Jan 2019 6:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>