Home > General > Road Tax
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey
Road Tax

Now that is something I didn't know:

For cars above £40,000, you’ll pay an additional £310 to pay for the next five years. After five years, you’ll pay the standard annual rate depending on what fuel your vehicle uses.

So, for example, a pure electric car with a list price of over £40,000 would pay £310 (£0+£310) for the next five years.

The list price is the published price before any discounts at the first registration. Check the list price with your dealer so you know how much vehicle tax you’ll have to pay.

So for a lot of cars you could end up forking out in excess of £500 per annum for 5 years in addition to the upfront charge of up to £2,000 - makes you think don't it.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/a...-explained MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #363300 8th Jan 2019 11:10 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

and puts people off buying 2nd hand cars under 5/6 years old that fall into that tax bracket.

the way I look at it currently people who can afford a 20-30k car 2nd hand, that originally cost £40k+ will go out and buy the one they want as its going to cost them the current road tax rates.

but under that tax ruling, they not only have to fork out the 20-30k they have to fork out the additional tax as well for something that isn't worth 40k+ anymore. In my view this massively penalises the 2nd hand car buyer who wants (and can currently afford 2nd hand) a more up market motor.

add that to the apparent 3 year time ''limit'' being put on owning a brand new car via PCP and lease deals, warranties etc and you end up with a 2 year black hole in ownership where the 1st owners have got rid of the car at the end of deals, and the 2nd owners buying them once the stupid 40k stealth tax has expired.

think I might just go and buy an old V8 of some description and have some fun before we are all run off the roads Rolling Eyes

Post #363305 8th Jan 2019 12:01 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Thats why you can currently buy a Landmark Disco Sport HSE with a list price of just under 40K. You can get 10.6% off if you take LR finance and push hard you will get a service plan thrown in. Chip in the LR finance after a couple of months getting a better rate say from M&S bank of less than 3% FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363306 8th Jan 2019 12:09 pm
RogB

under 40k list price for a brand new Landmark DS is good, but the government loophole is that the car costs over £40k BEFORE any discounts etc

So you could in theory choose a car costing over ££40k, haggle a really good price on it bringing under the 40k threshold, but still be hammered for the extra tax.

Now to be honest, for those that can afford over 40k in the first place (be it on HP, PCP, Lease or cash) can probably afford to soak up the higher tax rates for their ownership period. But its the 2nd/3rd owners who are only willing/able to pay 20k-30k that will probably not want to fork out the extra on top of that.

the government seems hell bent on destroying the 2nd hand car market (and diesels obviously)

Post #363307 8th Jan 2019 12:25 pm
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Yes Rog. I found a few 2018 DS HSE second hand near both of us with low miles last week only to find they had the higher road tax banding. Tempted as some had LR tow bars, ex LR or Hire Vehicle I suspect.

Dropped the idea now and up-rating a few things on the FL2. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363308 8th Jan 2019 12:33 pm
RogB

yeh seen that was your plans, I think for what you appear to need and use a LR for you have always seemed perfectly content with your FL2. Cant fault you Thumbs Up

ive just been on the LR configurator and specced the lowest Landmark DS I could with zero extra or options and its only £10 under the 40k threshold. However that spec does seem to cover everything I would want so if I was in the market to spend that much its not an issue, I just wouldn't be happy with the immediate depreciation loss so would prefer a 6 month old one that was originally under 40k

Post #363309 8th Jan 2019 12:38 pm
tenet

Just scrolled through Broadspeed's site and with the exception of the outgoing Audi Q3 virtually all prestige brand SUV's breach the £40 k threshold. As has been said above, this will impact dramatically (in due course) on the 2nd hand market. No wonder LR have cut back on production - It could be argued that UK and Far East SUV's are the way to go with resale values holding up.(maybe) Shocked MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

Post #363311 8th Jan 2019 1:25 pm
RogB

the new MG ZS SUV looks quite reasonable on the face of it, never sat in it nor driven it so couldn't comment on that aspect

oddly enough it looks broadly similar to the Jaguar E Pace Whistle

but the new Suzuki Jimny looks incredible IMO... saw one outside the local dealer at the weekend and its impressive. Top spec price is under £18k

Post #363313 8th Jan 2019 1:27 pm
tenet

My daughter who is a badge snob held her nose and reviewed a Hyundai Tucson today. She was very impressed for what she could get for the money and is having the car next Sunday for a test day. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

Post #363316 8th Jan 2019 2:26 pm
bxzx16v

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

Took a new Jimny out for a test drive last week and was pretty impressed with it , the ride was better than what I was expecting .

Mark 2009 FL2 TD4 SE (Sadly gone)
2007 FL2 TD4 GS (The wifes , gone after 8 great years)
2012 FL2 SD4 SPORT LE(Gone and missing it)
2015 DISCOVERY SPORT 2.2SD4 HSE (For now ?)
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 ecoboost ( Gone but what next )
2014 Ford Focus 2.0tdci Zetec S

Post #363326 8th Jan 2019 4:25 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

tenet wrote:
My daughter who is a badge snob held her nose and reviewed a Hyundai Tucson today. She was very impressed for what she could get for the money and is having the car next Sunday for a test day.

My mate has Tuscon - its very good. I'll certainly be looking seriously at one when the FL2 eventually bites the dust. Jules

Post #363330 8th Jan 2019 6:21 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

RogB wrote:
and puts people off buying 2nd hand cars under 5/6 years old that fall into that tax bracket.

I suppose you could try and haggle to get the price down to cover the remaining years of additional tax. Jules

Post #363331 8th Jan 2019 6:22 pm
Deano64

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

jules wrote:
tenet wrote:
My daughter who is a badge snob held her nose and reviewed a Hyundai Tucson today. She was very impressed for what she could get for the money and is having the car next Sunday for a test day.

My mate has Tuscon - its very good. I'll certainly be looking seriously at one when the FL2 eventually bites the dust.

I’m considering a Sportage again for next car. Might be sooner rather than later, since my clutch pedal is doing my head in. I’ve had a whole new clutch fitted and I’m sure its still sticking at top of travel again The Sportage is Very similar to Tucson I think. I had a Tucson for 7 years before the fl2

Post #363337 8th Jan 2019 7:22 pm
j77

Scotland 

Yup just got my reminder through the door for the Velars tax. £140 + £310.

£310 to the government for nothing. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Irrespective if someone can afford it or not there’s no need to have it, it serves no purpose other than a get rich quick scheme, they’ve already had £12k of VAT when I bought the car.

21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #363340 8th Jan 2019 7:39 pm
RogB

what gets me is how they charge you 'interest' if you pay by DD. How can a government department (DVLA Tax (which Im sure is part of HMRC) ) charge another government department (who ever that may be) interest when no loan has taken place ??

they know full well that there are tens of thousands of people out there who for whatever reason cant afford the 200/300/400/500 so they penalise them

Post #363354 9th Jan 2019 7:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>