Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > a service cost
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Yes the prices are daft, what did they charge you and where ? FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Last edited by Yorky Bob on 8th Jan 2019 12:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #363298 8th Jan 2019 12:01 pm
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

My car is on this deal, I took out the 5 year option for £1500, covers the next 5 services (had one done already) only item which is extra cost is Brake fluid when its changed. Also includes 5 MOT's at 50% discount. I pay it by DD .

I can cancel the contract at any time if I sell the car and any money in credit is refunded. Personally I think its not a bad deal for main stealer servicing.

They do try it on in other ways though Whistle Would you also like your Air Con system cleaned sir, it's an extra £80 + Vat Whistle 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Post #363301 8th Jan 2019 12:15 pm
exengineer

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Yorky Bob. guy salmon sheffield £275 B service

Post #363302 8th Jan 2019 12:28 pm
Yorky Bob

Acceptable enough just as long as the diesel filter gets changed as it seems a few garages skip it as its a pig to do. I would scratch a small mark on mine before handing it in just to be sure. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363303 8th Jan 2019 12:34 pm
paxman

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Orkney Grey

exengineer wrote:

Does it include all the filters and oil?
If it's that is a very good deal

Post #363319 8th Jan 2019 4:10 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

exengineer wrote:

£275 for a B service seems remarkably low for a main dealer and very low compared to the Year two B service price I paid Guy Salmon Sheffield and then for the subsequent contract for A-B-A with one brake fluid change and half price MoTs.

A bit of background for my experience with Guy Salmon Sheffield...

My car was first registered in November 2013. Having moved fairly near to Sheffield in late 2015 I took the car to GS for its year two B service in November. For that they charged me £384 inc vat. Based on that experience I took out a three year contract to cover A - B - A services in years three, four and five respectively and including one brake fluid change and (their offer rather than my request) half price MoTs.

November 2016 Year three / A service with brake fluid change. First MoT not done because they said it was not due until January. Time constraints meant I had to get it done by a local MoT centre... no advisories but the chap said rear pads would likely need changing in something like the next 10k miles / 1 year (my annual mileage is never more than 6,000)

November 2017 Year four / B Service. New rear pads fitted this earlier this year - All good with a no advisory MoT pass.

November 2018 Year five / A Service. Couldn't price up a new three year contract as 'the system is down' and...

... Late afternoon near collection time, a phone call saying that car will fail on obviously and significantly worn rear brake discs and pads but they could replace them for almost £400 and get the car through for me. When challenged (the pads less than 5k miles / discs under 30k miles) they said they didn't mean the pads were worn. They didn't know how the discs could go from their own no advisories on brakes in 2017 to failing for being obviously and significantly worn less than 5,000 miles later.

Based on their timing of the phone call / lateness of the day etc and the fact that I had checked all the discs and pads earlier in the week when I'd put my winter wheels on I told them that I didn't believe them and to fail the car.

I subsequently had the discs cleaned up (mistake as it ruled out appealing - live and learn) and both had a thickness of 10mm -10.5mm across the entire disc with no deep scoring or damage. Conclusion - unnecessary work. When I showed them the discs all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and 'we don't measure them, it's what we saw on the day sir.' They didn't charge me for the re-test and pass.

Something had changed at the dealership - very noticeable when you walked in atmosphere wise and I suspect their car sales have slowed down significantly. Overheads remain the same so ripping the service customers off to try and make up some if the revenue shortfall is my thought. Needless to say. GS of Sheffield will not be servicing my car again. A shame because apart from the MoT date cock-up in year three, as far as servicing goes, they had done no wrong.

I may try the place in Doncaster that Yorkie Bob mentioned earlier for Year six.

Post #363350 9th Jan 2019 12:19 am
Yorky Bob

MY13 cars onwards with the electronic parking brake seem to go through rear discs much quicker compared to earlier cars and older type systems. Pads also do not last as long as the fronts but should be good for 30K. At my first B service while in warranty the stealers told me my discs were worn. I got a contribution and had them done but I felt like I was the one being done. I am on my second set of rear discs and the ones taken off by me would have cleaned up on a lathe but not many of us have that facility to hand.

As for visual disc corrosion observation, new cars in garages have terrible looking discs as its only when worked the surface rust is removed, my wifes car sits overnight in a garage were there is a boiler and the discs gleam. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #363359 9th Jan 2019 9:43 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

"At my first B service while in warranty the stealers told me my discs were worn"

But this is what disks are supposed to do. To my mind they only need replacing when they are near the minimum disk thickness which is printed on the disk edge (ie likely to run out of disk before new pads are required) or have been damaged by some other mechanism. I wonder if garages actually measure disk thickness ?

FWIW my MY14 has done 36K miles and appears to have plenty of rear pad and disk left - but they do appear to be wearing down faster than the fronts. Ive got a set of front disk and pads sitting on the shelf because I thought theyd go first but I'll probably have to change the rears first. Jules

Post #363362 9th Jan 2019 10:02 am
SouthamFL2

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

Just my two Penn'orth on discs and pads.

My MY13 has done 55000.
Rear factory pads changed in late 2017 as were looking low (49k), discs still ok.
Front Pads still factory at 55k, discs also still factory, although discs were an MOT advisory October 2018, although not excessively worn, pitted or scored.

Frankly, I am amazed that they have lasted this long. The fronts will be done before this Autumn as a precaution, but 55k and rising is good going in anyone's language. My brothers DS, by contrast, is on its 3rd set of rear Discs/Pads after a mere 20,000 miles (under warranty as a known manufacturing defect), but it has been suggested by the supplying dealer that the DS braking system is made of plasticine and the discs and pads are needing regular changes after circa 25k.

Post #363363 9th Jan 2019 10:08 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

"after circa 25k"

crikey ! Jules

Post #363401 9th Jan 2019 10:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12