« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Blowers blowing cold
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Andymcniven

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black
Blowers blowing cold

Yesterday i took the plunge and bought myself a 2007 2.2 Freelander 2 GS for the predicted cold snap ! Couple of problems I’ve picked up on (got it cheap)!
1, rear wiper motor is siezed am I right in thinking the motor off a mk6 fiesta is exactly the same ?
2, only one of the 2 keys works to open doors but both start the car ? Is it just a new battery needs soldered in ?
3,Blowers blowing cold tried all the buttons and settings and still blowing cold no matter what...drove 27 miles home 70mph for 25 miles , temp gauge went straight up to halfway within 200yards of pulling away , car had stood 4hours on top of a hill in 4° blew freezing all the way , slowly opened header tank and while heater on full power on screen and it hissed . Closed it ran for another 5 to 10 mins opened and only a small hiss . Plugged in obd2 reader and temperature reading 77° . Pipes around thermostat are hot to touch but water in header tank not even luke warm ???? Any ideas welcome because am bamboozled by this one🤔🤔

Thanks in advance

Post #363107 5th Jan 2019 10:26 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Hi, and welcome.
Not had the problems with rear wiper but I believe that there are similarities with the Fiesta part that mean that you can use the important guts of the unit to refresh the fl2 part. The problem is caused by water running down the wiper shaft and causing corrosion in the wiper motor gearbox. There have been reports of the seized wiper motor causing fires so make sure you remove the relevant fuse! Don’t forget as the rear wiper will try to work if the front wipers are on and and you engage reverse gear!
The key can be taken apart but the process is quite destructive. There is a source of new cases on the internet or there is a member who offers a case and capacitor replacement service.
Probably a good idea to at least remove and check that the thermostat is working. It sounds like there is an airlock in the water system or anther possibility is that the motors or actuators for the flaps controlling the air flow are not working. You should be able to hear them working as you change settings on the heater controls. The header tank is not part of the circulation of the water but after 27 miles I’d expect it to be a little warm. A possible airlock in the heater matrix? I wouldn’t expect the water pump not to work as it’s just an impeller, but it’s a possibility, unlikely as I’d expect overheating problems if there was no circulation at all. Is it being driven at all or has it seized?

Post #363112 5th Jan 2019 11:30 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

The problem with the fobs is one get used all the time and the other spends its life in a drawer as a spare so the battery dies. There are threads on the site for soldering in a new battery and which battery to get. I swap my fobs each time I use the vehicle, they both keep charged that way. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #363117 5th Jan 2019 12:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Sounds like an airlock in the cooling system if the temperature is up to normal in 200 yds, mine have always taken about 4 miles. This might be a long shot but you mention that it was very cold so is there any anti freeze in it? Some years ago I was driving in very cold weather and the heater stopped working and then the engine temperature started rising. I called the AA and the guy came out and said that it was lack of anti freeze and that he had had a few calls that evening just like mine and it was the radiator freezing up as the anti freeze was too dilute. He put some anti freeze in and everything went back to normal.
Alternatively I would check out the cooling system as 77C is too low, it should be over 100C . I haven't done an FL2 but there is usually a procedure to follow to clear air locks so I would check that first

PS Is there an sign of oil in the header tank? What mileage? What do you know of the history of this vehicle. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #363118 5th Jan 2019 12:21 pm
Largered

" ...... There is a source of new cases on the internet or there is a member who offers a case and capacitor replacement service......."

RRUK - Due to ever restrictive time constraints from work and also starting a family, I have less and less time to do these. So, I have decided that once my current stock of key blanks has dried up I will no longer offer this service.

Post #363119 5th Jan 2019 12:49 pm
Andymcniven

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black

Hi , the car is a 57 plate gs with 123000 miles on , full service history up to 115000, timing belt and water pump done around 3years ago on 81000.
There is coolant in (sweet taste test)! Oh and no oil in header tank ! Also oil looks normal .
Been down to seller this morning and his mechanic is going to sort it on Tuesday for me, I thought that because I got the car at a good cheap price he wouldn't sort it out and id have to do it myself 😳😳😳

Post #363120 5th Jan 2019 1:02 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Wether you got it at a good price or not the seller does have an obligation unless the car is sold as seen,he knows it will most likely be an easy fix for his mechanic good luck with it and welcome from me.

Post #363124 5th Jan 2019 1:37 pm
CharlesT

United Kingdom 

Hi, can you update on how your cold airflow problem was solved? Draining system, flushing and refilling? CharlesT[/img]

Post #364497 23rd Jan 2019 11:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1