« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > OEM Battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Milothedog

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green
OEM Battery

Car decided not to start on Christmas morning Mad Soon rectified with the trusty boost pack.

I think it was low from not being used for a week and Christmas Eve was very cold here and the car did show the pre heat symbol for a while which probably killed it. Seems OK again now but I'm thinking at five and bit years old, and the extra demands all the HSE toys put on it, that's it's probably not long for this world.

I've found a good deal on a YUASA silver with 5 years guarantee for £92, so happy with that but am curious what others have had from the OEM battery.

My Son's 07 XS got to over 7 years and 62 K before it got tired , mine seems to be on its way out at 5 and bit years @ 52K

Happy Christmas to one and and all and I hope the new year will be kind to you Thumbs Up

Ian. 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep
2013 SD4 HSE The posh one for towing the caravan
1973 Triumph Stag I bought in 2009 and restored.

Last edited by Milothedog on 27th Dec 2018 6:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #362557 27th Dec 2018 10:54 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I'm on six and a half years. Seems OK but occasionally I get a strange warning on start up which may be due to the battery declining or just a fickle computer response . Yesterday I got "Terrian response not working". Switched off and restarted and back to normal with no problems.

J

Post #362559 27th Dec 2018 11:17 am
Milothedog

Yep, had that a couple of times in the last 2 1/2 years. I noticed that when it happens, as well as the dash warning, the controls were not illuminated either . 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #362560 27th Dec 2018 11:23 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

A new battery can be had for not much more than a tank fill but the misguided and misinformed would rather loose a day waiting for a tow truck (plus cost implications) than invest in preventative maintenance and then come on here looking for a cheap fix.

Come on get your heads out of your rectums (I can't as mine was recently sewn up !) and invest at 5 years in a new battery and make better use of that day gained a one day you will be saying if only. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #362562 27th Dec 2018 11:38 am
Milothedog

Wouldn't think you'll find many folk that will change a battery that was still working just based on its age. Spent my working life in the motor trade, early years with a main dealer then 29 years in the bus industry and never seen a battery replaced just because it was old. Got mine on charge at the moment on a conditioning charger then will run a test on it first with my battery diagnostic tester before I buy the Yuasa 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #362563 27th Dec 2018 11:59 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

We will beg to differ then as it’s your car that failed to start.

Good way of shagging up the cars computer using booster packs on today’s cars with so many electronics attached, not something I would do often. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #362570 27th Dec 2018 4:48 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Well, you’ve now found one!

Changed my battery last year as it was eight years old. Really no other reason than piece of mind, as Yorkie says. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #362572 27th Dec 2018 4:51 pm
Milothedog

Yorky Bob wrote:
We will beg to differ then as it’s your car that failed to start.

Good way of shagging up the cars computer using booster packs on today’s cars with so many electronics attached, not something I would do often.

Question Starter will only draw what current it needs. You don't get voltage spikes from boost packs. But welding on the bodywork without disconnecting or using a surge protector can. It used to really annoy our body shop having to spend an hour or so unplugging ECU's, Nodes and so on. just out of interest my company were using Li-Ion boost pack since they first became available many years back and a Bus/coach has a lot more electronics nowadays than many cars.

Anyway, as you say we'll beg to differ Thumbs Up 2007 TD4 XS The work horse that earns its up keep

Post #362575 27th Dec 2018 5:22 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a changed my battery as soon as I bought my 09 freelander 15 months ago.i work in roadside rescue and o9 plate vehicles batteries I attend , are failing at the moment.

Post #362587 27th Dec 2018 9:00 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

If, for the sake of argument, a battery on average could be expected to last 6 years, then changing it at 5 years would mean that you are only 'wasting' 15 quids worth of a £92 battery. Is it really worth sweating your way through another winter of cold and frosty starts on a car that is heavily dependant on electronics to save £15? Think of the aggro you could have the morning your car won’t start or worse still, when you are away from home in it. No contest. I changed the battery on both my FL2 and then my Evoque at 5 years. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #362590 27th Dec 2018 9:27 pm
GlynnB

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Some people change their cars every 2 or 3 years - doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do. Why do people think that their opinions are more right than other people's? Changed my battery at 8 and a half years old. No issues. Silver 2009 HSE

Post #362597 28th Dec 2018 6:30 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Any reason for the eight and a half years - did it fail or is that your battery comfort zone? Some people don’t change their engine oil or cam belt at recommended intervals and get away with it. Some people change them more frequently and sleep easy. It’s whatever you’re comfortable with. I’m comfortable with changing the battery at 5 years on a car that you can’t push or tow start if it lets you down and I’m in the motor trade so probably not as much inconvenience for me as it would be for others. 4 years on and I'm still using the battery from my FL2 to occasionally jump start cars at work (regularly charged) but the Evoque battery had to be replaced due to failure before it was 5 years old. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #362600 28th Dec 2018 9:37 am
grumsel

Netherlands 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Barolo Black

My battery died when it was 4 1/2 years old without any warnings in advance. One morning I noticed it was cranking a bit slower but it did start, drove 40 miles to work and parked it. In the evening it did not start. Just flashing lights on the dash and clicking.

Called LRA and they jumpstarted it. The guy from LRA thought the battery was just drained, he suspected the interior light. Drove home, no issues. While driving home I phoned the dealer to make an appointment for the next day to check what was draining the battery.

But next morning the car didn't start again. The dealer came and jumpstarted it again. They checked what was wrong and concluded the battery was dead, they replaced the battery with a new original LR battery (luckily I still had warranty).

The new battery is now 1 1/2 years old but I think I will change it when it gets 4 years. It's no fun being stranded when you want to go home.

PS. Before the dealer realized I still had warranty they told me they only had a battery which was a bit stronger, 85AH i.s.o. 80AH. It would be a bit more expensive they said me but I could get it faster. I then asked about the warranty and after they checked they said it was covered. When I came home I checked the battery and it is a brand new one but it is 80AH. They didn't have one but found one when they had to pay for it?

Post #362602 28th Dec 2018 11:11 am
seagull1

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Sumatra Black

My first battery lasted 7 years but the second died after 3 years both OEM, now fitted a yuasa 110

Richard. FL2 07 TD4 GS Auto
Ex 02 TD4 Auto

Post #362613 28th Dec 2018 2:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Bought mine from non-LR dealer about 14 months ago. Is there any simple way of telling how old my battery might be? Numbers/codes on the battery itself?
Its a 63 plate SD4HSE auto, without the stop-start feature

Post #362637 28th Dec 2018 9:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>