« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Soundproofing/Deadning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Stuartc

Australia 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Aintree Green

Tailgate soundproofing complete.
Aim here was to simulate what LR do with passenger doors and seal off cabin from outside skin. I applied the butyl liner to the two openings to the outside skin and used the acoustic liner to seal off to inner frame. I also plugged up all openings thus creating a separation between inside/outside.

Because of the complexity of the tailgates structure I decided to put the acoustic liner all over the rear of the tailgate cover.

Before I started this project I tried a few different combinations such as rear seats down, no load cover and no tailgate cover and had a pretty good idea of where noise was entering the cabin. I now going to repeat this and see if the added acustic materials have made a difference and report back.
I’m quietly confident the tailgate acoustic material will make a difference but as I haven’t done the side interior load covers I’d be happy with just a small improvement. MY15
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Surround Camera System
InControl Apps soon to be replaced with CarPlay (WIP)
Meridian Premium Surround Sound
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Meridian Rear Media with WIFI
Factory Powered Tailgate
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)
Reverse Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
Electrochromatic Wing Mirrors (WIP)

Post #364825 28th Jan 2019 7:23 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I am not sure if I have remembered correctly, but I think that when Ford started their 'war' on NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) they concentrated on changing the resonant frequency of the larger panels by shape and by adding flexible mass.

I wonder if tapping the relevant panels and experimenting with adding strategic mass and sound proofing is the way to find and cancel any resonating panels.

Try Googling 'Ford NVH' FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 74k+ miles) (MY2015)

Last edited by IanMetro on 6th Feb 2019 10:29 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #364833 28th Jan 2019 9:58 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Stuartc wrote:
Tailgate soundproofing complete.
I’d be happy with just a small improvement.

Well, did it work ?

Have you used a sound meter phone app to quantify any improvement ? Jules

Post #364834 28th Jan 2019 10:06 am
Stuartc

Well only been out for a small drive and “Yes” ecstatic with the results, shocked even.
The effect is similar to when you put new tyres on, you get used to the way your vehicle/tyres sound and when you change them there is a marked difference. That’s exactly what happened here and believe it or not at a constant road speed the car feels smoother 🤔 it’s the only way to describe it.
I’m a bit shocked actually.
Very pleased and not even done the important bits yet!
Sorry, no quantifiable evidence as I didn’t take readings before I started but there plenty of trials on the net showing results. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #364848 28th Jan 2019 12:33 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Great to see such an improvement. I wouldn't mind putting some on my car but I am concerned about the additional weight as I am already at my payload limit. Actually over & I have to solve this problem first! In addition I have added another 18 kg with six AT tyres!

How much weight per square metre are each of these products?

Edit: Found it using the desktop monitor. Bit more real estate for the eyes! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #364861 28th Jan 2019 3:07 pm
Stuartc

Stage 1 or the Butyl product for 1sqm is 2.7kgs of which I have a little bit left.
Stage 2 or acoustic liner product is .55kgs/sqm so nothing really.
For what I’ve done atm probably about 2.5kgs so very little weight.
Most notable improvement atm is significant impression of “smoothness” not scientific I know but obviously the added mass of the butyl product is working very well indeed and I’ve only done wheel well really!
Big change in the acoustics of the vehicle, quite amazed really Shocked MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #365006 30th Jan 2019 7:03 am
Lightwater

Thank you.

I have ordered 2 packs of stage 1 & 3 packs of stage 2, got to keep busy! I'm pulling off the side panel to up grade the MPPT to a 100/20 & with an additional custom heatsink, so though it best to do it all in one go.

A note on the rear of the car. When we sleep in the car, & it has been down to 1C in the morning, we get a lot of condensation on the boot plastic liner which you have acoustically lined, a lot of condensation. So I will install a lot of acoustic insulation here.

Having said that, when we cover the windows overnight with sun screen shades I am very impressed actually how warm the car is inside in the morning. So there is plenty of insulation in the car doing something! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #365015 30th Jan 2019 9:24 am
Stuartc

Not surprised you’d get condensate on the tailgate internal cover as basically the tailgate is exposed to the outside unlike the passenger doors which are sealed on the inside skin. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #365019 30th Jan 2019 9:51 am
Lightwater

Looking through the workshop manual I noticed some information on under body sealing & acoustic sealing inside panels. The under body sealing is only on the front section only of the spare wheel well, might explain that adding acoustic insulation to the entire wheel well makes a considerable difference in acoustic quality.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Years ago with half a dozen computers in a spare bedroom, apart from replacing all the fans in the computers with low noise fans. I placed some acoustic panels on the walls. They work best at ear level. If sitting at a desk place them, front, back, left & right. Anything added at ear level & square on, or above your head will also be of benefit.

A bit more difficult in the car but maybe something behind the trim panels has a little bit of benefit in deadening sound.

Decades ago I had the opportunity to stick my head in the CSIRO acoustic laboratories anechoic room. It was really weird! One is so accustom to some sort of echo no matter how small, but there was simply nothing. Just this reduced volume flat dead sound from speaking. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #365368 3rd Feb 2019 5:27 am
Lightwater

Started installing the acoustic insulation. I pulled out the base speaker & amplifier & put the butyl rubber & foam behind. Already with this area done & under the spare wheel I can see the car at the rear will be a lot quieter & I haven't even driven it. Lots of red dust behind everything!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #365572 5th Feb 2019 11:21 am
Lightwater

Working my way around the car. Even though half is done, but not the tailgate. I will need to do something at the front as the road noise environment feels out of balance. Too much noise from the front because the rear is too quiet.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #365668 6th Feb 2019 10:00 am
Lightwater

Done all the doors & the tailgate. The only bit left is the left side of the boot. Ran out of foam. But now the tailgate is done, it seems to help the front a touch by reducing the noise at that end, not by much but a better balance so to speak. The tailgate closes nicely, like all the doors. I also stuffed a bit of foam in the 3 trim pieces around the tailgate window.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #365780 7th Feb 2019 11:31 am
Stuartc

Oh wow you’ve really raced ahead Bow down
I haven’t had a chance to do anymore I’ve also run out of material, need to order some more but also been distracted by work and other ongoing projects.
I’m really noticing a difference with what little I’ve done, it’s more of a change in the feel of the vehicle, the butyl really does make a difference, vehicle feels smoother. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate

Post #365801 7th Feb 2019 1:16 pm
Lightwater

With the offcuts I've done the A pillar (drivers side), the panel for bonnet release but the drivers side (for people who drive on the correct side of the road, or in other words for people who have placed their automatic tailgate release button! Bow down ), & the black panel between this & the A pillar panel with some foam.

I removed the bonnet insulation. It looks the part but in reality it is only about 5mm thick so it is next to useless for any acoustic benefit, so I will beef this up with some engine bay insulation. Also thinking of 0.25mm aluminium/foam insulation sheet on the fire wall, for both heat & acoustic.

Click image to enlarge

The 6 piece panel removal tool kit, although I haven't used it much it has been useful when needed so it is worth spending a few extra dollars. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #365950 9th Feb 2019 7:56 am
Stuartc

😂😂 you read my mind, I was planning on doing the bonnet also because apparently a lot of noise comes through the windscreen.
I checked with the sellers of the butyl/acoustic liner were using and they said you can use it in the engine bay Thumbs Up
I’m planning on putting it in between the reinforcement beams of the bonnet and then replacing the factory bonnet liner so you’ll never know it’s there. MY15
Surround Camera System
Digital Audio Broadcast
Timed Climate
Cruise ECO Data
Follow Me Home Reverse
Extra Features Menu
Picture In Motion
4x4i screen (WIP)
Digital Broadcast TV
Factory Powered Tailgate