« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Festive card fraud
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
Festive card fraud

Just tried ordering some M&S vouchers (saving 8.5% through work) for some Christmas shopping and the transaction was blocked. Phoned NatWest credit card fraud team and they said someone had tried spending £142 on travel tickets via Loco2 website and £269 at Dunelm!

All blocked and new card on the way Thumbs Up Perhaps my details were leaked when there was a breach such as Marriott Hotels. I don't recall booking with them since 2014 though. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #361792 10th Dec 2018 6:42 pm
eddiekol

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Have you used your card to pay for fuel?Mine was cloned a couple of years ago at a local petrol station.Luckily the bank stepped in very quickly.

Post #361796 10th Dec 2018 9:45 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

No I use my debit card for petrol. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #361802 11th Dec 2018 12:03 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Had a Lloyds debit card used fraudulently whilst in Skipton last week. Lloyds rang us to say they had blocked an anomalous on-line purchase of a ticket for a concert at the Albert Hall.

The card was not used at all in Skipton and didnt leave my wife's purse all week. In the past it has only been used at ATMs in the Tamworth area.

Interestingly, it was the only card in her purse NOT inside a RFID pouch. We wonder if her handbag was scanned whilst we walked/stood at the crowded Christmas street market in Skipton. Jules

Post #361803 11th Dec 2018 12:14 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have put a scalpel blade through the aerial that runs around the card so it can only be used in a machine with pin number.

Then by default avoid paying the 0.4% paywave fees often passed on, which is also charged if you use a debit card! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #361805 11th Dec 2018 12:38 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

About a month ago, I had a call from someone supposedly from Hammersmith nick to say they'd apprehended someone using 'my card' and needed to verify some details. Asked which card it was and surprise surprise he rang off.
About half hour later, my mother called to say she'd been called by a copper from same station, saying someone had used her card, could they verify details etc etc. Although she's 87 she's still sharp, especially with money and said she'd speak to her son; he rang off.
Strange that it was the same guy, had to wonder where he'd picked our names from; can't believe it was pure chance he'd hit two people with same surnames.

Post #361806 11th Dec 2018 12:43 am
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

RFID??

Had someone phone last week saying I needed to RE-TELL them my card details !!!!! Only started swearing after finished Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter . SCUM.

Was talking to neighbour last week and his daughter had her car keys scanned whilst in her hand bag and car gone!!!! If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #361814 11th Dec 2018 9:29 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Years ago in the 60's my Dad had a Wolsley 1500, it had the key in the walnut dashboard (no steering locks then) and he sellotaped a little cardboard flap over the ignition keyhole so that it was covered when the key was out. He said that he had read in the paper that since the key number was stamped on the lock and clearly visible, thieves had taken to reading the number through the back window with binoculars and then going off and buying a key to steal your car. Great British motor industry security in action! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #361816 11th Dec 2018 10:36 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

JulesK wrote:
RFID??

Google says
"RFID is an acronym for “radio-frequency identification” and refers to a technology whereby digital data encoded in RFID tags or smart labels (and cards) are captured by a reader via radio waves" Jules

Post #361820 11th Dec 2018 1:37 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

a fraud is for life not just for xmas At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #361822 11th Dec 2018 2:06 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Thanks Jules Confused
Thumbs Up If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

🐑
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #361827 11th Dec 2018 2:32 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Just got a letter with someone else's name with my address. Shone a very bright LED torch through the letter. It was for a failed credit application. I phoned up the financial institution to let them know the wrong address. It turns out the person was trying to use my address and they thanked me for letting them know!

In the past I had sent back letters but after a stack of letters from a couple of financial institutions which did not stop. I phoned and explained I was sick of the never ending letters. They said all returned letters were simply thrown in the bin! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #362153 18th Dec 2018 7:49 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I had the same Lightwater, started getting letters for a bloke who had never lived at the address since the house was built. I kept posting them back with ''not known at this address'' written on the envelope. This went on for months.
Then the letters obviously became debt collection agency ones (big red letters visible through the envelope) which I carried on returning
Eventually I got fed up so opened one up, this mystery bloke had run up £800 on a card and disappeared. So I rang the debt agency who said they don't care and they will take me to court if I didn't pay up. Even advised me bailiffs were on their way to gain entry and take goods to the value.
Phone call ended with me calling their bluff and telling them if they didn't have court order and police present they would be getting a baseball bat round the head if they tried to enter the house.
Never heard from them again.

Post #362155 18th Dec 2018 9:25 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Years ago in the 60's my Dad had a Wolsley 1500, it had the key in the walnut dashboard (no steering locks then) and he sellotaped a little cardboard flap over the ignition keyhole so that it was covered when the key was out. He said that he had read in the paper that since the key number was stamped on the lock and clearly visible, thieves had taken to reading the number through the back window with binoculars and then going off and buying a key to steal your car. Great British motor industry security in action!

You could open and start using the sharp end of a steel comb back then, so a bit pointless Laughing

Iain

Post #362157 18th Dec 2018 10:09 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Years ago in the 60's my Dad had a Wolsley 1500, it had the key in the walnut dashboard (no steering locks then) and he sellotaped a little cardboard flap over the ignition keyhole so that it was covered when the key was out. He said that he had read in the paper that since the key number was stamped on the lock and clearly visible, thieves had taken to reading the number through the back window with binoculars and then going off and buying a key to steal your car. Great British motor industry security in action!

My 1963 Mk1 Mini has the key number stamped on the ignition switch which is also central on the dash. Not much security there and the sliding door windows dont offer much in the way of theft deterrent. I dont park it out of my sight for too long! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #362159 18th Dec 2018 10:59 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>