« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > What the hell?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Farmer Chalk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Firenze Red
What the hell?

Although this relates to my daughter’s Freelander 2 I have posted this on here as I could not diagnose the issues of vibrations in the drivetrain at speed!

Daughter had been complaining of vibration whilst driving over 65mph.. took the car out and sure enough there was a considerable vibration over 65-70mph but smooth as silk at any speed less than that!
It actually felt like a damper vibration shaking through the whole car...

Reviewed posts on this FL2 forum which seemed to indicate either failed propshaft or a failed haldex unit..

Drat I thought, so to identify which it was I swapped the wheels about and moved front to back etc..

This actually made it worse with now severe shaking of the steering wheel! So thinking it may have been down to balancing took them to be rebalanced!

Again no better after this so presumed it was a delaminating tyre or somesuch so now ordered a pair of new front tyres...

This morning took the car to the tyre fitters only to discover this!,,,

The whole inside of one tyre was full of water!

She does not off road ( other than a muddy horse field ) the tyre has never lost air, has never been reinflated from new and always maintained pressure...has only started doing this in the last couple of weeks...always has a secured valve cap protecting it , never had a puncture etc etc...

Fitted the new tyres and she now drives like a dream! Wtf! Shocked

At least it wasn’t the haldex! Very Happy

Post #361696 9th Dec 2018 12:26 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Interesting, you would have thought that the water would have spread around evenly like in a centrifuge and therefore not affected the balance.

I have heard of tractor tyres deliberately using water for ballast (and make sure that you add anti freeze!) 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #361698 9th Dec 2018 12:49 am
Farmer Chalk

I think it was until about 70mph when it probably started cavitating hence causing the imbalance..there was at least a litre of water in there!

Post #361699 9th Dec 2018 12:53 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Next time drill a hole in the bottom of the tyre & plug it. Had to do 3 on my last holiday!

You would be surprised how much moisture is in the air. If the compressor's moisture removal design is poor the down stream plumbing will end up putting that water in the tyre & if the tyre has 2 atmospheres of pressure in it you will have twice the water. & you will keep adding water everytime you top up the tyres.

The photo of the moisture trap is after pumping up one tyre. Moisture traps should be at the end of the line. There are enough garages around who forget to empty their tank & I have read of situations where the tank is so full water starts being pushed down the line. I would expect a tyre shop would empty their tank daily.

Click image to enlarge

When I took my compressors apart to add external & internal heat sinks. They were full of water sitting in the low spots.
Click image to enlarge

The custom heat sinks cool help cool the air as soon as it is compressed. The colder the air the less moisture it can carry. Prior to installing the heat sinks you could not touch the start of the airline fitting it was that hot. Now I can hold it it makes that much difference.

The tank itself also acts as a water trap as long as it is cold, condensation. Takes a minute to take out & empty.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

When I was last at the aluminium welder getting something. A person came out with a small air tank similar to mine for his car & had a drain valve added to the tank as his tank was going to be permanently mounted. Someone else aware of water in the air! We had a good chat over tyres, air & water! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #361700 9th Dec 2018 2:58 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

A local filling station had a similar problem when staff claimed they were not told how to drain the compressor and customers complain that the air line was delivering water.

J

Post #361705 9th Dec 2018 8:43 am
Farmer Chalk

I agree it’s the only reasonable explanation... hopefully it may help others diagnose high speed vibrations thinking they have a haldex failure or other potentially expensive issue!
Just drain your tyres! Very Happy

Post #361707 9th Dec 2018 9:34 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Unless your tyre inflator is pumping pure water (not unheard of if it’s never been drained), there’s no way that amount of water will come from moisture in the air - it’s normally there when the tyre was fitted. See my third post in this thread.
http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic27660.html? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 9th Dec 2018 9:59 am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #361710 9th Dec 2018 9:56 am
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

Having your tyres inflated with Nitrogen instead of air can help overcome the issue of moisture/water build up in your tyres as Nitrogen is a very dry gas compared to air when compressed. Other advantages are that Nitrogen filled tyres do not fluctuate in temperature as much as air filled tyres and the tyre will remain at the correct pressure for longer as nitrogen does not leech through the tyre wall the same way that air does. The likes of Kwik fit used to offer the service for a £1 or so a tyre but it was never that well promoted. That was a few years ago and I never bothered myself so no idea what it would cost now. With a used tyre you would probably have to demount the tyre to be able to clean the inside of the tyre and ensure it was dry before refitting and filling with nitrogen so obviously that's going to cost a bit more. Has any forum member had it done and if so do they reckon it`s worthwhile doing. Thumbs Up

Post #361711 9th Dec 2018 9:56 am
Dartman the one

England 

There is 78% and a bit nitrogen in air, providing the compressor has the correct water traps or drying fitments pure nitrogen is a waste of money, the average car is not a racing car where decimal differences in pressure will alter the handling or balance and that includes the FL2 Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #361713 9th Dec 2018 11:30 am
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I agree it’s the only reasonable explanation... hopefully it may help others diagnose high speed vibrations thinking they have a haldex failure or other potentially expensive issue!
Just drain your tyres! Very Happy

Drill a hole in the bottom of every tyre to allow the water to run away Rolling with laughter And the spare in the boot, just to be on the safe side

Post #361718 9th Dec 2018 12:17 pm
Lightwater

Dartman the one wrote:
There is 78% and a bit nitrogen in air, providing the compressor has the correct water traps or drying fitments pure nitrogen is a waste of money, the average car is not a racing car where decimal differences in pressure will alter the handling or balance and that includes the FL2 Laughing

& one would have to pump & fully deflate 5 cycles to 3 bar with 100% nitrogen to get the nitrogen up to 97%. Better off buying a desiccant inline dryer! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #361723 9th Dec 2018 12:44 pm
Farmer Chalk

All the tyres were fitted last year, in the dry and have been perfect for the rest of the year! The other tyre that was replaced at the same time as this one is perfect...no damp inside whatsoever...

Strange...

Post #361725 9th Dec 2018 12:48 pm
Lightwater

Sidthecat wrote:
Drill a hole in the bottom of every tyre to allow the water to run away Rolling with laughter And the spare in the boot, just to be on the safe side

If you seen them plug a tyre they drill the tyre first.

If repairing yourself the hand tool is a spiral more or less like a drill, just need more elbow grease. I have to take the wheel off as I only have a tummy muscle these days!

Few ideas here on moisture removal. Including air conditioning, one reason why I have my compressors in the car. I have to run the engine while pumping due to the 100 amp load, so I run the air conditioning as well. 2 of the 3 compressors are precooled as well so they get dry & cold air!
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gene...gn-158301/ Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Post #361726 9th Dec 2018 12:52 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Many years ago a friend bought a Rover 75 at auction and I drove it home for him, got to 55mph and all hell let loose,,steering shake like you wouldn't believe, thought a wheel was coming off, stopped and checked everything we could think of and set off again, up to 55 fine after Censored
When we got it home he had the steering checked at the garage, all fine, tracking and god knows what else checked with no problems found, so got two new tyres put on the front, fitter was not very happy when about a gallon of water fell on him from both tyres, would like to think it was a inflator pumping water as already mentioned rather than somebody doing it on purpose ! Common sense isn't very common.

Post #361728 9th Dec 2018 2:07 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Farmerchalk, it might be worth finding where the tyres are normally topped up...just in case it’s your own on-farm compressor that is putting out water! Smile 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #361731 9th Dec 2018 2:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>