« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Update on my near 2 years of ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ct8637

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black
Update on my near 2 years of ownership

As the title of the thread goes, this is just an update on the niggles and pains of my freelander 2 ownership.

I bought her second hand in January 2016, a 2007 plate so she’s getting on a bit. I’m now nearing the point where she wants money from my wallet but for an 11 year old car that’s to be expected.

So far I’ve been fairly fortunate. I had a scare at the beginning of the year thinking the transfer box was on its way out but it turned out to be a wheel bearing thankfully! A few months later the bearing on the other side went aswell but at least they’re done now. Aside from those she has never missed a beat, no flat battery no dodgy noises or anything, she has truly been a trustworthy mistress. Until now.... Big Cry

The clutch is slipping when I put her under load in 5th or 6th gear so I’m driving very cautiously. I went to my local trusted garage and he said I’m looking at around £300 in labour alone. So I’ve looked on our site sponsor advanced factors and for less than £350 I can pick up a clutch kit including slave cyclinder and a dual mass flywheel. Is there anything else I need? My plan is to get all the parts this month, then next month put her in for the repairs. I can’t hack the whole bill in one hit especially around Christmas!

In all honesty this is a wear and tear issue and at 11 years old it has lasted well. When I saw the photos on the website before I went to look at her there was a tow bar fitted, but it was removed when I looked at it. That can’t have done the clutch any favours!

Once this clutch is out the way I’ll probably give her a full oil change etc. I’ve been pretty fortunate with this one and I hope to get a few more years out of her, after all she has only just clocked over 100k miles.

I hope everyone else is enjoying their cars as much as I have been mine. The snow is coming soon so this is where us freelander owners reap the rewards of our cars!

On a side note, I was on a course with work last week and we had the pleasure of driving some discos for the week. I had a disco 4 to play with and it was a fantastic car. Everything I hoped it would be although one of the others decided to break down on the first day, something to do with the suspension. It had lowered itself to the deck so I bet that will be expensive! There was also a disco sport but I didn’t get the chance to play with that one and in all honesty I’m not a big fan of that, they should have used the money they spent on that to bring out a freelander 3!

So main question is, I will buy clutch kit and slave cylinder also dual mass flywheel. Is there anything else I need to buy?

Thanks all

Post #360593 17th Nov 2018 4:39 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Since you decided that the car is female as you refer to it as "she", you just have to accept that females are fickle and want lots of money spent on them. But seriously, as it is an eleven year old car, she, he or it will need attention, which costs money, so is it worth considering getting another car.

J

Post #360635 18th Nov 2018 11:27 am
Ct8637

Some would say it May he worth getting another car, but the thing is apart from the fact I’m not in a position to trade it in currently, I don’t want to offload problems onto somebody else. Also the thing is when the clutch is done, it’s done. And yes there will be other niggles that flag up for a car this age but all in all it is a very reliable car and I may endup buying worse for the sake of trying to save a few quid.

It is something I have thought about though I’m not going to lie, thing is I just don’t think there is anything else out there that I fancy. Aside from maybe a BMW X3 🤫

Post #360636 18th Nov 2018 11:40 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

Ct8637 wrote:
Aside from maybe a BMW X3 🤫

I was following your logic, right up until that point! Rolling Eyes

Recommend that you don't go anywhere near a dealer until you feel better again Laughing

Last edited by Tigger on 18th Nov 2018 12:04 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #360639 18th Nov 2018 12:02 pm
axle

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Can't help with the clutch as mine is auto, your right that towing doesn't do manuals much good.
My car is also 2007 and needs odds and sods doing, wouldn't think of getting rid (unless I could find a Range Rover LSE in mint condition with lpg conversion for 5k Rolling with laughter ) You could buy a newer car and still end up spending a fortune on it, when I find a good one I hang on to it, had a 1997 discovery for 9 years. Common sense isn't very common.

Post #360640 18th Nov 2018 12:03 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

Ct8637 wrote:

give that man a pat on the back Thumbs Up Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #360718 19th Nov 2018 4:44 pm
Worms

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

If you read all the threads on the fly-wheel slipping issue, you will see that it is fairly common for this to not get any worse. Mine has been doing it since I bought it a year ago. I now rarely notice it, having adapted my gear use to avoid trying to accelerate too hard in 5th or 6th. I’m mentally prepared for the clutch to need changing at some point, but I’ve done 30k miles on it as it is and it doesn’t seem to have got any worse in that time. 2005 D3 2.7 Auto
Previously:
2010 MY FL2 TD4e GS - Now gone at 199,500 miles, about 135,000 of them mine.
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel

Post #360732 19th Nov 2018 8:50 pm
DigDil

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

The only other part replaced when mine clutch went was the crank oil seal. It was something like £10-20 and I think it’s quite common for it to leak

Post #360748 20th Nov 2018 8:46 am
Ct8637

Tigger wrote:
Ct8637 wrote:

I was following your logic, right up until that point! Rolling Eyes

Recommend that you don't go anywhere near a dealer until you feel better again Laughing

Haha just joking. Kind of.

Post #361689 8th Dec 2018 8:08 pm
Ct8637

Worms wrote:
If you read all the threads on the fly-wheel slipping issue, you will see that it is fairly common for this to not get any worse. Mine has been doing it since I bought it a year ago. I now rarely notice it, having adapted my gear use to avoid trying to accelerate too hard in 5th or 6th. I’m mentally prepared for the clutch to need changing at some point, but I’ve done 30k miles on it as it is and it doesn’t seem to have got any worse in that time.

Funny you should say that, I was driving the car back from Birmingham today and I didn’t really notice it slipping. As you say, I’ve adjusted my driving style so I try and keep the revs around 2000rpm so I don’t need to give it too much to accelerate.

I hope it does last a while longer, really can’t be dealing with having to replace the clutch so close to Christmas. Every car I’ve had has demanded money around this time of year. My bmw mot was always the beginning of December, emotional.

Post #361691 8th Dec 2018 9:00 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1