« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > GPS UK has to build own system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White
GPS UK has to build own system

I am not sure if this is good news, or bad.

I am not sure where the money is coming from, but it seems that we are going to design and build our own GPS compatible system.

Yet another unexpected consequence of us leaving the EU is that we are no longer trusted to keep european secrets. Therefore we have been thrown out of the joint Galileo project.

I am sure that this will come as an unwelcome surprise to many as it wasn't written on the side of the Leave bus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46407249 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 76k+ miles) (MY2015)

Post #361338 1st Dec 2018 12:19 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

This has been flagged up some time ago on websites linked to GPS systems etc.
We also do not have a rocket system to launch any satellites so we may have to design/build that too. I guess developing are own system would be very expensive and not without issues (the announced feasability study alone is listed as Ā£92M) so it may be better just to pay for access to the European system if allowed, which is doubtful.

Or according to my dad (he's 86) it will be like the good ol' days when you had to use your AA map to find your way around and ask a policeman for directions when you got lost. I think he's looking forward to the re-establishment of hard borders and customs as travelling to France will be more like the adventure it was in the 1960s. Jules

Post #361340 1st Dec 2018 2:58 am
Dartman the one

England 

That seems like cutting off ones nose to spite the face, we make and design the Galileo satellites, therefore we have the capability of doing what we want with them permission or not. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #361344 1st Dec 2018 6:44 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Australia doesn't have any either!

Click image to enlarge
 Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #361345 1st Dec 2018 7:47 am
Navigator

Scotland 

Dartman the one wrote:
That seems like cutting off ones nose to spite the face, we make and design the Galileo satellites, therefore we have the capability of doing what we want with them permission or not.

And apparently more satellites are built in Glasgow than anywhere else in Europe.

I don't think any satellites get launched from EU countries - it is in the wrong place. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #361357 1st Dec 2018 12:34 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Yep, it's all beginning to hit the fan now - and we are paying Ā£49 billion for the honour of being chucked out of a programme we have largely paid for and led with our scientific expertise.

It's time to chuck out Theresa May and her give in to the EU plan.

J

Post #361361 1st Dec 2018 1:01 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Got to find or agree some signal space firstly then build our own better version of Galileo, we can do this, people always seem to be talking us down. If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

šŸ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #361363 1st Dec 2018 1:17 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Not sure if it is still the case but one of our Blue something rockets was part of the European Space Agency orbital launchers , think they are launched from French Guiana my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #361368 1st Dec 2018 2:12 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

JulesK wrote:
Got to find or agree some signal space firstly then build our own better version of Galileo, we can do this, people always seem to be talking us down.

Where do you expect to find the extra money needed? The back of Westminsters sofa isn't that big...

Post #361374 1st Dec 2018 4:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IanMetro

Here is the UK Space Programme history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_space_programme

Brue Streak, Black Knight/Prince/Arrow were launched mainly from Australia (which Lightwater show above is still alive and kicking) and now it seems we will be launching from Scotland?

From my own experience, I am convinced that we have the right people in the UK, but we lack the will to finance the training and development of these people, and to invest in the necessary industrial projects and plant.

Since the 1980's we have all been encouraged to become shopkeppers and traders, with no long term plans or interests.

Big projects, and the job security they bring, need help and guidence from the National State. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #361375 1st Dec 2018 4:26 pm
Navigator

Scotland 

We can use the spectrun space that was to be used for Galileo as the remainder of the EU don't seem to know much about it or have the expertise to build the satellites. As for hiring a launch site, it will be as I see much of the other trade, up for hire. For example, I don't see the wine growers of France abandoning the vinyards and paying off all the people just because Britain is not in the EU. They will want their easy export market. Everyone can spread it - Anyone can catch it. Stay home - the life you save can be your own!

Post #361377 1st Dec 2018 4:34 pm
JulesK

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Firenze Red

Mikey the money is there already for the UK space program, launch sites are up for hire in many countries if the Scotland one isn't ready.
The people are here to do it.

Or.... Get the funds from all the spare Labour seem to have spare Rolling with laughter ( joke ) If it wasn't so bad it'd be funny.

šŸ‘
Freelander 2 HSE auto 2014 ( Florrie ) ..... Try again.
Freelander 2 GS 2012...... Gone.

Post #361380 1st Dec 2018 5:37 pm
IanMetro

Mikey wrote:
JulesK wrote:
Got to find or agree some signal space firstly then build our own better version of Galileo, we can do this, people always seem to be talking us down.

Where do you expect to find the extra money needed? The back of Westminsters sofa isn't that big...

The money is from the tax that we pay towards running the country.
If we are going to invest in the future so that our children and grandchildren live in a first world country, then we need to pay up a bit more collectively, and more important, make sure that everyone pays their share.

If we could get back some of the money hidden (via) offshore accounts we could possibly have enough to go to Mars, and still have enough left over for NHS, Care, Police, etc, and a decent road and rail system.

Seriously, we need to support the people and companies who make things, and get them back into UK (tax paying) ownership. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #361386 1st Dec 2018 9:50 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
Seriously, we need to support the people and companies who make things, and get them back into UK (tax paying) ownership

I think that ship sailed a long time ago. A large proportion of the scientific talent in the UK is from other EU countries and that may change after Brexit. Countries and business do far better when they aren't working in a closed off system where things cost more to buy than they used to. Brexit was a terrible idea from the start and it will be an absolute disaster for the country.

But as for the GPS issue, it sucks. But it won't affect any of us in our day to day use. But it'll be a pain in the arse for the UK military and government agencies which rely on the more secure systems. Learned to drive in 2011.
Bought a Micra - great little car
"Upgraded" to Kia Sportage - hated it
Proper upgrade to FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because Iā€™m mental

Post #361393 1st Dec 2018 10:19 pm
Sidthecat

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

[/quote]The money is from the tax that we pay towards running the country.
If we are going to invest in the future so that our children and grandchildren live in a first world country, then we need to pay up a bit more collectively, and more important, make sure that everyone pays their share.
If we could get back some of the money hidden (via) offshore accounts we could possibly have enough to go to Mars, and still have enough left over for NHS, Care, Police, etc, and a decent road and rail system.
Seriously, we need to support the people and companies who make things, and get them back into UK (tax paying) ownership.[/quote]

Agreed Thumbs Up

Post #361400 2nd Dec 2018 1:29 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1