« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > FL2 Starting Problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hudson1407

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black
FL2 Starting Problems

Hi, l have a Freelander 2 with starting problems.
After reading through the threads other owners have had similar problems, but there seems to be no definitive solution.
The problem seems to be intermittent and is certainly worse after leaving the car for several days unused.
There is a clear indication whether the car is going to start the moment I enter the key fob into the module.
Usually there is a click from a relay which sounds as if it's in the centre console. If there's the normal click then the car starts, but sometimes there's no click and the engine will not turn over, this is accompanied with an HDC fault indication in the display.
After several attempts or after applying a charger to the battery to assist in starting usually the car will start. I have not tried disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery as suggested on some of the threads.
I have tested the connections of earth straps and they appear okay, I have also tested the battery drain which at the time of testing appeared to be within limits.
Has anyone come uip with a definitive answer to this problem?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Andy

Post #359511 28th Oct 2018 12:01 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

A long time ago there used to be an issue where the Bluetooth for the phone would play silly Censored.

If you were talking on the phone in the car, and turned the engine off, and continued to talk. When you left the car the Bluetooth continued to search for the phone, this would completely flatten the battery. I drove to south London one day 200+ miles, and was talking to the wife on the phone in the carpark, before retiring for the night. Next morning the battery was as flat as a pancake. This happened several times before the reason turned up on this forum. Mine was a 2008 car, so yours might have the same "feature".

Solution was to keep the engine running and only turn it off after the call was finished.

It's Just a thought - I could be barking up the wrong tree, but it worked for me. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #359514 28th Oct 2018 12:21 am
Yorky Bob

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Firenze Red

Always double lock. FL2 MY10 TD4 GS traded in at 2 years
FL2 MY13 TD4 GS Current

Post #359520 28th Oct 2018 7:07 am
mjtemple

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

I see you have considered the earth straps but there is a modification which Land Rover themselves took up which is to fit a second earth strap from battery to starter motor which has less resistance than the battery to wing and then all the subsequent joins. The HDC message is due to the starter taking up all the limited battery power and not leaving any for the other ECU's, do a search for 2nd or extra earth and it'll bring up numerous threads about it. You can get a cable for less than a tenner and fit it in 10 minutes. Worth doing even if not the problem. 2007 TD4 XS Manual in Sumatra Black

Post #359618 29th Oct 2018 3:25 pm
CJOver

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

As a thought is the click occurring when the steering lock disengages ?

The car will not start if this is still engaged - the steering lock is know to cause problems - there are a number of threads on this matter.

Post #359625 29th Oct 2018 4:55 pm
hudson1407

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Barolo Black

Thank you all for your replies.
I will try the various suggestions and see where it takes me before heading to the dealers.
I'll take a look at the owners manual to see if I can turn Bluetooth off. I've not used it but it may well be enabled.
The click seems to be from a relay in area of the centre console rather than the steering lock, but a good point and I'll ensure the steering is not locked before I try again tomorrow.
The problem does seem to be more prevalent in cold weather or if the car has not been used for a while so battery voltage could be an issue. Yet when the problem shows itself if I simply disconnect the battery and then reconnect again the car will start, almost as if something has been reset by battery voltage removal and reconnection.
The addition of a second earth strap from battery negative to starter motor is a great idea and I will try that in the coming days once I source a cable. The starter motor doesn't appear to operate when I have this issue, but I guess it could be causing a voltage drop if it does try without it cranking the engine.

The battery is only 12 months old but I'm considering a replacement anyway just in case this is part of the problem.

Again many thanks for your replies, I'll post any updates as any solution is found.

Post #359654 29th Oct 2018 10:52 pm
JamesW83

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Barolo Black

Did you get this sorted? Had the same issue for 2yrs or so, my ‘solution’ was to fit a remote battery isolator. Basically, once the car is locked, I disconnect the battery remotely. If it does this non-starting/clicking thing I disconnect/reconnect the battery using the fob and it fires up. It’s called a WirthCo battery preserver, cost about £100, shipped from US.

Post #370731 23rd Apr 2019 7:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1