« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > help please, Clicking from rear when on full lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 
help please, Clicking from rear when on full lock

Hi guys, as the title says, iv a clicking coming from the rear when steering is on full lock, in both directions and in forward and reverse, I think its something that has failed all of a sudden as the car has been running perfect and I did 250 miles the day befoure, but the day it started I was reversing out of a car park and heard a clunk (bit like when handbrake seizes on overnight and you get that clunk driving away the morning after) after that I get clicking on lock, the car is quiet as a mouse though when general driving or when steering is relatively straight.

Iv changed the diff oil which was manky but no bits of metal and since then cant make my mind up if its gone quieter or not, iv had a look at the prop shaft which other than a bit of place in centre bearing/ mount seems fine, iv pulled the fuse for the haldex which didn't make any difference so hoping someone can help befoure I start removing drive shafts etc, iv spoken to a couple of people who don't think its the diff as iv no whine and its suddenly started rather than a quiet noise that got louder. So any help is welcome. Thanks. Also Car is a 09 TD4 with a Gen 4 Haldex

Post #361204 28th Nov 2018 10:57 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

firstly are you sure its a Gen 4 Haldex ? didn't think they came in until 2010 facelift unless you have retro fitted one to yours ?

secondly, I had a similar clunk coming from the nearside rear on lock on my first Evoque, which turned out to be the PTU. It had also stripped the splines to the (manual) gearbox so it was a PTU and gearbox replacement. After that all was ok although it then highlighted that a new clutch and probably flywheel were needed too.

Post #361206 28th Nov 2018 12:26 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

The Filter is at the top of the Haldex which looking online is a Gen 4, think Gen 3 its on the side. Was yours a click or clunk? this is more of a click and it sounds to be more from the centre or both sides instead of just near or off side. Was Your clunk something that happened right away overnight sort of thing?

Post #361207 28th Nov 2018 12:31 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

mine was a clunk that came on at the end of my 30 mile commute to work.

if you look at bellengineering.co.uk there is a load of information on there about transmissions on the FL2 and Evoque. incuding photos of the Gen3 and Gen4 haldex so you can compare.

http://www.bellengineering.co.uk/freelander-2-products/

I dropped into their workshop last Friday for a check over by Austen, the owner and he is a very highly recommended and very helpful guy who will be happy to answer queries.

Post #361208 28th Nov 2018 12:49 pm
Rich05uk

United Kingdom 

Just had a look at bell's site, mine is deffo a Gen 4 haldex. I just find it odd I did 250 miles the day previous with no issues not even a creak then the day after all was good till I reversed out of a parking space, which is what made me think maby a broken drive shaft or something along them lines. I have seen good things about bell engineering on this forum but im in Rochdale so bit of a trek to get there especially with a car that's got problems as I don't want to do any more damage than has been done.

Post #361213 28th Nov 2018 2:29 pm
sid

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

move a quarter of a mile or more from home and call the aa or rac for a total lift recovery.

Post #361238 28th Nov 2018 10:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1