Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Camshaft timing belt interval change modification.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 
Camshaft timing belt interval change modification.

For those wondering about Diesel Timing belt change. Landrover seems to have changed their recommendations.

For pre 2012 vehicles on 15,000 service intervals, the interval is 150,000 miles or ten years whichever sooner
For post 2012 vehicles on 16,000 mile intervals it used to be 144,000 or 9 years
But it is now changed on the check sheets to 112,000 or 7 years.

Also bear in mind, that as the crankshaft sprocket has built in slack on the keyway to allow cam/crank timing adjustment, marking the belt & just renewing it isn't good enough. As soon as you loosen the bottom pulley the friction is lost & the sprocket moves. You need to lock the crankshaft and camshaft with the timing pins to ensure spot on cam timing.

I know a few people will reply, "I've fitted them, no problems, without doing that". You may have, but your cam timing is out, affecting starting, performance or fuel economy.

regards
Steve

Post #359330 24th Oct 2018 4:06 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

I trick I once heard about:

Gain access to the timing belt but do not slacken or take the old belt off. Lock the pulleys to be safe. Then cut the old belt in the middle with a very sharp blade along its length so that you have two belts side by side. Now slide the outer half off the pulleys . Slide the new belt over the pulleys and push up to the remaining half of the old belt. Cut the old half belt off and slide the new belt all the way home. The idea is that that timing is not lost as the same number of belt teeth remain between the crank and camshaft sprockets on the tension side of the belt at all times.

Never done it and I dont know if the FL2 sprockets will allow the belts to slide on and off. Jules

Post #359331 24th Oct 2018 4:24 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Easiest cambelt change Ive ever done was on the Peugeot XUD diesels on the 205. IIRC a few common-all-garden M8 bolts simply screwed through the sprockets into pre drilled holes in the engine block locking everything up tight. No chance of mistiming whilst playing around with the tensioner or belt.

I dont know why they have to make cam belt changing so awkward nowadays - with special tools etc when all you need is a bolt to lock the rotating things in place. Jules

Post #359332 24th Oct 2018 4:31 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Re: Camshaft timing belt interval change modification.

SteveNorman wrote:
For those wondering about Diesel Timing belt change. Landrover seems to have changed their recommendations.

For pre 2012 vehicles on 15,000 service intervals, the interval is 150,000 miles or ten years whichever sooner
For post 2012 vehicles on 16,000 mile intervals it used to be 144,000 or 9 years
But it is now changed on the check sheets to 112,000 or 7 years.

Also bear in mind, that as the crankshaft sprocket has built in slack on the keyway to allow cam/crank timing adjustment, marking the belt & just renewing it isn't good enough. As soon as you loosen the bottom pulley the friction is lost & the sprocket moves. You need to lock the crankshaft and camshaft with the timing pins to ensure spot on cam timing.

I know a few people will reply, "I've fitted them, no problems, without doing that". You may have, but your cam timing is out, affecting starting, performance or fuel economy.

regards
Steve

I've seen that done with the engine running and a Stanley knife used to split the belt! Unfortunately, that will only work on engines that have a woodruff key on the crank timing belt pulley. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #359346 24th Oct 2018 9:07 pm
dondiddy

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Firenze Red

If you are doing the timing belt you would also want to do the water pump, tensioner and idlers at the same time as it is false economy not to do these items. When a belt fails it is not always because the belt has snapped or stripped etc, it can also be down to a tensioner, idler or water pump failing. The Freelander belt isnt all that difficult to do as belts go. Thumbs Up

Last edited by dondiddy on 25th Oct 2018 1:02 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #359355 25th Oct 2018 8:42 am
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

^^^ That Thumbs Up

Post #359362 25th Oct 2018 12:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1